409 bashing article

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Cecil,
I remember "Hands" very well and also heard the same stories. I talked to him briefly at Caddo Mills and I liked the guy. Yes, very intimadating unless you had a chance to talk with him. You've probably heard me speak of my little 301 in a 56 2dr hrdtp that used to like to go looking for those 409s, well, I think it was the summer of 61 or 62 and he got me by about a length at Caddo Mills...those were great times.

Rusty

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That tech piece is funny - back in my circle track days, the track would "bubble" the winner to check CI. A teardown was a more expensive protest. After a local racer won quite a few races, a teardown finally revealed one legal cylinder on each bank; guess which ones always got tested?! It might have been a little tough to balance, but not much of a problem. It definitely had the "grunt" back then to make a difference.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil,
I remember "Hands" very well and also heard the same stories. I talked to him briefly at Caddo Mills and I liked the guy. Yes, very intimadating unless you had a chance to talk with him. You've probably heard me speak of my little 301 in a 56 2dr hrdtp that used to like to go looking for those 409s, well, I think it was the summer of 61 or 62 and he got me by about a length at Caddo Mills...those were great times.

Rusty

Jeez Rusty, I had no idea you were that old. You may even be older than me.:eek:
:roll