409 Cam (mistakes have been made)

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Have you put a vacuum gauge on engine and tried this test. With it idling slowly rev engine and hold at a little higher rpm and see what vacuum does. See if it gets higher and stay there or does it stay lower.

409Steve62

Have you put a vacuum gauge on engine and tried this test. With it idling slowly rev engine and hold at a little higher rpm and see what vacuum does. See if it gets higher and stay there or does it stay lower.
Higher & stays till it gets to a certain point then will drop off. If I raise the idle it will raise the vac

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Higher & stays till it gets to a certain point then will drop off. If I raise the idle it will raise the vac
On the quick high acceleration does vac drop and hang there.when driving once you accele hard does it keep going or just bog?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did it perform better on Dyno then in the car??? If so is your exhaust good??? Have you tried with open headers? Neighbors get ticked???

Last edited:

409Steve62

Did verify tdc. Has sbc balancer and spot welded tag in correct position on timing cover. It’s seemed to run better on a rolling road dyno with no load on . The issues started happening on the road test. 60% resolved today drivability wise but all round dyno kind of got me half way there with the carbs

409Steve62

Before dyno I comp tested with 160 all round

Dyno did the test in 3rd gear ‍♂️♂️ told me I have 300hp with 750 nm .. so yeah . I need a new dyno guy

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Take a piece of hose, with the engine idling take one end of the hoes and hold it to your ear and the other over the carburetors one at a time see if they sound the same. You can play with the end of hose to find the best listening points. If they don't sound the same then you need to separate the linkage between the carburetors and make the adjustments needed. This would be the starting point to tune with 2 carburetors that have idle mixture screws.

409Steve62

I made a carb balancing tool with one of those edelbrock gauges to sync the carbs, did that first off… the first motor was only running off the rear carb only, when you tried to floor it it would shudder and gasp for air. The front carb was doing nothing and not engaging… so I just went to fit some headers and found the crack and tore it down . Was not good inside either.. been pretty tough getting to this point and still having issues but hey the saga will continue :)

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would try another known good coil. My new MSD blaster coil failed and during the process of failing, backfired and blew up one of my blowers. Had another member have one fail, and I happened to have a spare on hand. After replacing the coil, he ran his fastest ever time. When a coil fails, there are endless symptoms. Nothing definite. Easy and cheap try.