409 engine

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Thought about getting both headers if he would sell both. He tell"s me he has a mopar carb on it now ,but has correct afb that need"s a kit in it .would that mopar Carb be worth anything??.

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Buy both sets if you can and resell them.Those straight ones just might be worth some serious money.The only ones that I know of that were made in the straight back configuration were the ones made by Stal.If the seller isn't really aware of what he has there,one could make enough from the sale of those to pay for new hp manifolds.Just sayin.
Don sure has a good point there. Stahls are no longer produced and many people LOVE them.
Even if you have to pay extra to get both sets you will probably be able to pay for some good manifolds and make back some of your purchase price on the engine too. Headers rarely come up for sale (other than new) for these engines and when they do they don't last long.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think he mentioned it had a automatic choke on it too. I was kidding him in saying that mopar had to go ,but maybe that"s not the case huh???

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Look at the secondary side of the carb.If there's what kinda looks like a choke plate over the secondarys,then it is an AVS. Many of the AVS Mopar carbs used a divorced choke,but thats easily converted.If it's an early AFB carb,then it's likely too small,and I'd get the Chevy carb.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok,I am to let him know in the morning what my decision is on the motor. If I go to listen to engine and possibly have him give me a ride in it ,and if I buy it I can look at that carb and see what it is. Thank"s for the info.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Don...ask him if the engine was built by Duane Saum...not sure on the spelling of the last name. Duane is a very respected builder in that area.
Good luck.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes ,he said he did some but not all. Supposedly the dad did some assembly. I have passed on the engine ,not really what I wanted for the money.I would like edelbrock aluminum heads and intake on a block that I know exactly what has been done to it

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sure, it is on Wichita,ks craigslistunder 409engine.he has had several interested .I was just a little skeptical of what for sure was done to engine for asking price.Might be a good engine .