409 engine

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can't believe you would bag that deal. I wouldn't think twice about parting that truck or pulling the engine and making a car hauler...:doh
I'm with Dan, you've gotten this far.....

I like to see things preserved, too, but a car hauler with a BBC or a Dmax, and a 409 for your car...the possibilities are endless!!

Somebody else can put out the fires. Maybe if a fireman wanted to buy it, cool.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just saw a '63 Chevy fire truck on Denver Craigs'....glad to see ya kept er in one piece. That truck is awesome!! Seeing those pics I couldn't bring myself to rape the 409 outta that thing if it were mine, it's too cool man. I hope she goes to a good home....

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well you guy's probably think i am crazy ,but i sold the fire truck as a total package complete. It is going to Canada . He plan's to pull bed and make a car hauler out of it. I just felt it would be easier just to buy a engine loose and a lot less hassle and expense for me and go from there.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did anyone from this site buy it? I know you've got to have mixed emotions about finally having a 409 and then selling it, but I think you did the right thing.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No one from this site, he just seen it on craig's list and was looking for a truck like that with a 409. I know if i would have removed 409 i would have had to put another motor back in of some sort so i would have a expense there along with all the labor involved. I also thought even if i did get the 409 ,what would i have left of it???? I would replace intake, carb, head's, cam, piston's, then i would have a block and crank!!!!! I feel it's going to a good home ,as i said his plan's are to make a car hauler out of it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok, guy"s have a 409 spotted. I need some opinion"s what you think. No front pad number"s ,has been decked.has 10@1/2 t o1 compression,583 heads,isky cam which is not real radical as he has a automatic trans in car ,400 hp intake,rotating assembly has been balanced,chrome dripper chrome stock valve cover"s.Casting block # 3857656 Julian date 274 on block. Has no drilled holes on right front boss on pass side for a truck block mount provision..it has been bored 60 over.Everything less than 1,ooo miles,can hear run in car ,I heard video but want to hear in person of course.it will be complete. Has chrome dual snout 400 hp air cleaner ,alternator ,starter carb original afb. According to son of original owner (dad) piston"s were cut down to lower compression at 10@1/2 to 1. He is firm at $6500.00 . It has Trw forged piston"s, roller tip rocker"s. He has receipt"s for part"s and some machine work.Give me your opinion"s.

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For one you can hear running in the car first and with low miles like that.....sounds great. You sure can't buy the parts and build it for that.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Where were all these deals when I started looking for a 409, I have well over twice that in mine..........
Well thought i would be ok if I did not have to do any tear down and installing as is. I will have to buy standard flywheel and will get header"s with it ,but would like to have stock manifold"s ,so I still will have some expense .Wow if you guy"s have that much in these motor"s I feel a little better about the price he"s asking.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes if you go with the high performance exhaust manifolds,they're very pricey.If you go with the 2 1/2 center dump 340 horse manifolds,not nearly so much.While it's not the way most of us would build one,given whats out there for parts,it still will make a nice peppy cruiser engine,especially for the price,and you likely won't have any trouble selling the headers.If it were mine I'd use the headers and take advantage of the better gas mileage,and the 40-50 horsepower that they will free up,but that's just me.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
He has two set"s of header"s my choice straight back or the under frame, what he tell"s me . I know header"s are better but they are a pain in the a@@ to me .I don"t plan on racing it at all just more or less just to say I have a 409!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Buy both sets if you can and resell them.Those straight ones just might be worth some serious money.The only ones that I know of that were made in the straight back configuration were the ones made by Stal.If the seller isn't really aware of what he has there,one could make enough from the sale of those to pay for new hp manifolds.Just sayin.