409 in a 1935 chevy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great looking car.
What did you use for a radiator? I've got a 33 Master 2 door coach to do one of these days and was wondering if I could just have the original radiator re-cored to handle the W engine.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
It has been a long time since I used a recored radiator. Primarily due to the fact that I have never seen anybody recore a radiator and gaurentee it for more than 5-6# pressure. Thid car has a new Walker brass/copper 2-7/8 cored Cobra radiator in it that origianlly also had the AC coil mounted to it. This radiator is rated for 17# pressure and is a much more efficient desin than the old radiators ever were. Plus it can be repaired in any radiator shop which is not the case with aluminum radiators (Griffins). I am running Evans NPG+C waterless coolant in this car instead of antifreeze/water. Primarily to eliminate corrosion in the system but also because it is a more effecient coolant above 200 degrees. Its boing point is 380deg so it will not steam or creat air pockets in the motor like water will. So far it runs at 190degrees with no tendancy to creep in traffic, but even if it did I would not have the same concern I would have with water in it. That is the VERY short version, but if I can help you at all I will try do do what I can.
Thanks for he encouragement.
By the way that condensor I was talking about, it ended up behind the rear seat with 2 electric fans puling air in and out under the back of the body.

Big Jim

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
I picked up the engine from Borowski's today all better now and ready to go back in the car. The fuel injection still needs some TLC but is also getting better. More to come!!

Big Jim

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
It is a hydraulic roller with 4 & 7 reversed in the firing order fom Sig Erson Cams (PBM performance)
Cam #1463 112deg seperation .560" lift 272deg intake 286deg exhaust for use with 1.7 to 1.75 rocker arms.
The original intent was to generate enough vacum to run power brakes, the EFI and still have enough lumpy idle to sound like a 409 should. Installed 3 degrees advanced (109 deg)it does all of that 15" vacum, and sounds great, and makes lots of HP/Torque for a street motor. I hope that helps, this is going to be a lot of FUN!!!
Big Jim

HRC

Yeah, that should be a great cam for your efi. Is yours still a stock stroke? I got a '30 model A Tudor that I'm about to start the build on. My cam is a bit bigger, but still a hyd roller and mild compared to some of these guys..;)

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Yes,stock rods and diamond forged aluminum racing pistons comp worked out to 9.3:1 they wer ordered as 10:1 but with the 18cc volume of head chambers (from valve job) .040" head gasket and 0 deck it worked out to 9.3:1 which is finewith me. HP worked out to 445 @5400 455ft# torque @ 4500 wih dual quads on a GM manifold. The feeling is the HP will rise somewhat as the rings, etc seat and the EFI is put back on. Bu I am pleased.
Big jim

HRC

You should be ecstatic, that thing is going to fly...;) I looked on their website but didn't see your grind. Was curious what the .050 duration numbers where.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's a really nice engine for that car. I'll bet it's over 450hp when it's broken in. Lots of torque too. It should be great!:beer

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Attached is the cam card, and while it does not say it, this is a 4/7 swap cm also. that means 4&7 are swapped in the firing order. This was the first 409 cam Erson did this way so it may not be in their website. but they do recognize it if you call. Also it was installed this time 3 degrees advanced per their(Ersons) recommendation. hope this helps.

Big Jim

Attachments

• camcard.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 23

HRC

Those are some really good HP numbers for such conservative duration. You should get decent mileage as well especially with your efi. The past week I've been driving around in a '61 with 409/4spd and 3.36s.. It has dual quads and a hyd roller version of the 425hp cam. Taking it easy on the hwy I'm lucky to get 8mpg...:(..it is running a hair rich though

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice looking car...:browI love the 34-35 Chevs. I had a 35 Standard Coupe twenty some years ago.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
First Ray, I am using a custom built set of long tube headers built for this car/engine. 2" primaries into 3"merge collectors and 3" exhaust back thru magnaflow mufflers. The dyno run was made with my headers and lead pipes. Thanks for the comments. As to the car my "other" car is a 34 master 5 window coupe with an injected zz4 small block/2004r & 3:55 posi rear.
That car has over 250k on it in the 30 years we have been together, but it is tired so I am building this car to be my new road car. We are signed up for the power tour next summer so here we go.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Well, I'm back and ready to put the engine back in the car. For those of you following this you will notice the injection has been rearranged. This should solve my imbalanced airflow probelems. All of the mechanical stuff and rebuild worked out great. Hope to have it runing this weekend.409left.JPG409right.JPG

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
will that engine fit under the hood or are you going to cut the hood. looks great. jim

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
It will fit under the hood, it fills up the engine bay much better now. haven't decided yet if I am going to use the hood, I may just run the top and not the side curtains as the headers encroach that space.
I hope to reinstall the engine this weekeknd.
Big Jim

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Again it has been some time since I posted here, but all is going forward and looking forward to running the power tour in a couple of weeks. That is why
I wont be in Ohio with you guys, maybe next year. we have the car running clean now, changed from 55# to 36# injectors, the others were like trying to take a shower with a fire hose. WAY TOO BIG for this application. So now I am concentrating on seat belt mounts, interior panels and such since we will be gone from home for about 2 weeks. More to come soon.

Big Jim