409 Vette?

Howie Dewing

Someone please help me settle an argument I'm having with a know-it-all (doesn't everybody know at least one? Don't include yourselves). He claims to know someone who has/had an original factory installed 409 Corvette, year unknown. I don't think there ever was such an animal, but am willing to bow to his or anyone else's superior knowledge.

Howie Dewing

That's what I figured. It was a beer-induced discussion that got somewhat heated. I doubt I'll ever settle it, so maybe I should just admit he was right. Who knows. Maybe one does exist, 60 years later and still under a cover somewhere. I asked this guy for some sort of verification like an RPO or even if it was a surreptitious "skunkworks" release and he went off like a vial of nitro glycerin in an earthquake.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Someone please help me settle an argument I'm having with a know-it-all (doesn't everybody know at least one? Don't include yourselves). He claims to know someone who has/had an original factory installed 409 Corvette, year unknown. I don't think there ever was such an animal, but am willing to bow to his or anyone else's superior knowledge.
It sounds like that "expert" doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.Did NOT happen from the factory peroid.

Howie Dewing

I suppose GM or anybody could have put a 409 in a grand piano if they wanted to. I won't give this dude this website unless y'all want some more cannon fodder. He is good for a laugh or two, but convincing him of anything is hopeless. Thanx for the feedback. If he comes up with some other tall tales and urban folklore, I'll keep ya posted.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Lots of know-it-alls around.
Retired GM dealer saw my 63 BelAir 409 and said.."I once sold a 67 Chev Convertible
to a woman with the same motor"...:scratch
I told him GM stopped putting the 409 in cars mid year 1965.
As a typical butt head he says......."Don't tell me, I've been selling cars for 60+ years".
So I figure either a 67 convertible with a big block, a 64 convertible 409 or it never happen"...:rub
Knowing this guy, I suspect it never happened.........:doh

409N

Well Known Member
GM had a Corvette show car EP-700 with a 409 for a short period of time :) I think it was fuel injected ? I'll try to find the picture in my literature collections :)

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Perhaps there is confusion with the mystery motor...... a lot of times you’ll hear people say just that .........409/mystery 1 and the same.......:facepalm......There was a 409’s cubic inch displacement mystery motor.... that later grew to the 427 .......now I’ll problably get this wrong..:wacko...... there was a corvette or 2....???......... I want to say the factory was involved with installing huge fuel tanks and the mystery motor(427)...... for either testing or some form of racing....... someone will slap me straight real soon........ I do know I’m close though........!!!!!.......In fact I know that there is a video clip here on this forum somewhere, and it was one of the Chevrolet head management that was involved in the program........????

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mickey-thompson-z06-mystery-motor-stingray/

Ok...... he ran development of the mystery motor.......not the Vette

I can also remember having read somewhere that Zora Duntov did not like the W series motors

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Perhaps there is confusion with the mystery motor...... a lot of times you’ll hear people say just that .........409/mystery 1 and the same.......:facepalm......There was a 409’s cubic inch displacement mystery motor.... that later grew to the 427 .......now I’ll problably get this wrong..:wacko...... there was a corvette or 2....???......... I want to say the factory was involved with installing huge fuel tanks and the mystery motor(427)...... for either testing or some form of racing....... someone will slap me straight real soon........ I do know I’m close though........!!!!!.......In fact I know that there is a video clip here on this forum somewhere, and it was one of the Chevrolet head management that was involved in the program........????

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mickey-thompson-z06-mystery-motor-stingray/

Ok...... he ran development of the mystery motor.......not the Vette

I can also remember having read somewhere that Zora Duntov did not like the W series motors
I could be wrong but I think the MK-II mystery motor was a 427 the same way as a Z11. It had a 4-5/16" bore and a 3.65 stroke where as the later MK-IV 427 had a 4.25" bore and a 3.76" stroke.