409 vs Big Block Debate

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409/427 versus 396

Fran, I had a 65 409/400HP car, new. Impala SS car. Traded it on a 396/425HP Impala SS when they came out. I don't have any track numbers, but only seat of the pants to talk from. I believe the 409 would walk the dog on the 396. Sure seemed like it to me.
Several years ago, Zora was at Indy at a good guys or Super Chevy show. This is at least second hand, so I have no direct knowledge of the conversation. Someone was talking to Zora about the 409, and what it would take to get it to run better. He told them that he had worked on a new piston design, among other things. He described what he was going to do to the piston to get better flame travel. I wasn't thinking about racing or anything except restoring a car to original, so didn't pay enough attention to the details. He did tell them there were more development ideas on the 409/427 type motor, but GM pulled the plug on them, and that stopped all new ideas from coming to production. We know that happened. I don't even remember who told me this story! Phil Reed might have some ideas, as I think he met Zora more than once. I would think Phil might have talked to him about this. Not positive, though. The gist of the story was that there was more power to be had from the 409 style engine, but GM said no.
The biggest problem was that not enough of us had the smarts to jump in like Dick Harrell, and some others, and build our own high performance Chevells and Novas. Jess Tyree still carries the words on his car " Us GM owners would rather fight than switch". Dick took his Z-11 engine out of his 63, and put it in a 64 Chevelle, and went Hemi hunting. He shot a lot of them down, too. And Thunderbolts. Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, but DIDN'T do it.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Fred

63BelAir

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned that the bigblock that replaced the W engines
was the 66 396 Thick walled engine and the 427 that shortly followed..

I'm a very lucky man and have both engines //409//396

I love them both Tha 396 is bored 60 over with a solid cam and many other mods
Sounds licredlble ..the 409 I waited ten years or so to find the 66 396 not quite as long

As far as expense If I remember the last time I looked for a factory 409 car and a
Factory 66 SS 396 car ..the 396 big block cost a whole lot more ...

and a 427 car even more ....

But to come to a conclusion for what a 409 is, it out rules a general Big Block
in many ways ....

Just depends on which way your looking at things ...

For a track car your going to beat the crap out of ( General Big Block)

A classic you want to cruise and occasionally Romp on ...for the WHOA ! factor
The 409 ..

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Fran Preve said:
I can't get my arms around a 409 in Stingray, the though makes me SHIVER!. And it did Zora too, else they would have. Anyway, fact is Mickey Thompson put a Mystery motor in a 1963 Corvette to race in the Modified race they use to race during the Speedweeks back then. And I know for a FACT Zora was SALIVATING at the thought of putting them in production Corvettes. You have to remember, the Mystery motor was smaller and much lighter than the Mark IV that replaced it. Here was a "big block" 427 cubic inch engine with the RIGHT heads that weighed not much over a 100 lbs more than a small block.

That said, I'd still take a Z-11 engine for DRAG RACING, but not for oval track or road racing.

I honestly don't know if anyone raced the Z-11 type head on the ovals. I've only seen ONE single 4 barrel factory intake for these heads, you'd think there'd a been more turning up. I believe, and alsways will, that Chevy engineers compared the Mystery motor to a 400hp 409 at the proving grounds to "sell" the engine. Yes, at well over 6000 rpm it was MUCH better than the standard 400 hp 409. But I don't believe it was a great deal better than a 427 Z-11 engine with a single 4. That's my opinion. Until I see a Z-11 single 4 engine on a dyno against a TRUE 427 Mystery motor, and the Mystery beat it by a LOT I'll stick with my belief.

Of course after 1964 the Mark IV engine would beat the Z-11 silly, but then the developement had stopped on the Z-11.
=====

Not a Stinger but a Vette

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/vette.html :love :love :love

oil4kids

Well Known Member
z11 vs hemi

and could you imagine a little ol Z11 nova vs a Richard Petty Hemi- look whos out front

thats Harrell in his Retribution II VS Richard Petty in the 43jr Hemi at Piedmont-

the last picture is the Retribution Nova still in Black before Harrell painted it red
one of the few pictures of the engine in car

Attachments

• HARVSPETTY.jpg
    HARVSPETTY.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 130
  • HAR2NOV.jpg
    HAR2NOV.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 131
  • retro409.jpg
    retro409.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 132
M

MK IISS

Fran Preve said:
I can't get my arms around a 409 in Stingray, the though makes me SHIVER!. And it did Zora too, else they would have. Anyway, fact is Mickey Thompson put a Mystery motor in a 1963 Corvette to race in the Modified race they use to race during the Speedweeks back then. And I know for a FACT Zora was SALIVATING at the thought of putting them in production Corvettes. You have to remember, the Mystery motor was smaller and much lighter than the Mark IV that replaced it. Here was a "big block" 427 cubic inch engine with the RIGHT heads that weighed not much over a 100 lbs more than a small block.

That said, I'd still take a Z-11 engine for DRAG RACING, but not for oval track or road racing.

I honestly don't know if anyone raced the Z-11 type head on the ovals. I've only seen ONE single 4 barrel factory intake for these heads, you'd think there'd a been more turning up. I believe, and alsways will, that Chevy engineers compared the Mystery motor to a 400hp 409 at the proving grounds to "sell" the engine. Yes, at well over 6000 rpm it was MUCH better than the standard 400 hp 409. But I don't believe it was a great deal better than a 427 Z-11 engine with a single 4. That's my opinion. Until I see a Z-11 single 4 engine on a dyno against a TRUE 427 Mystery motor, and the Mystery beat it by a LOT I'll stick with my belief.

Of course after 1964 the Mark IV engine would beat the Z-11 silly, but then the developement had stopped on the Z-11.

Z11 equipped 409s in NASCAR

It was reported in some of the stock car racing magazines of the time that in late 1962 the "factory cars" ran the Z11 heads for the last few races of the '62 season. There was an increase in performance but not enough because the 406s and 421s still had an advantage in top speed on the super-speedways.

mercsrus51

348/409

so how many 51 mercs have ya seen with a 348 three deuces in them??? an with the 2:75 rear I get 18 mpg..and still run with the street rods...and when I open the hood,,,,everyone sez.HEY,, what is that???

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I dont care if you get 8mpg or 80 mpg. I dont care if your car is dog slow or rocket fast. It just dont matter. That is one fine ride. Congratulations on doing something different.

Mr.Upholster

348's 409's

I was one of the dudes around in the early 60's when my friends were dragging these motors.....In my click of friends we called them "Stone Grinders" Wnen the 409's ran good, man they ran good....But they had a tendency to snap valves and eat them and break valve springs like crazy. Talking drag racing here....really pushing it....spinning main bearings was a problem also....We had to put a post in them just to stop them from spinning.....I think there was a big oiling problem with these engines...Since they are just a truck engine, they weren't designed for sustained high RPM use...

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy , did you just kick the hornets nest. Im leaving town for a few days till this blows over. Please be kind guys , remember you are gentlemen, not just the owners of "just truck motors".

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Mr.Upholster said:
I was one of the dudes around in the early 60's when my friends were dragging these motors.....In my click of friends we called them "Stone Grinders" Wnen the 409's ran good, man they ran good....But they had a tendency to snap valves and eat them and break valve springs like crazy. Talking drag racing here....really pushing it....spinning main bearings was a problem also....We had to put a post in them just to stop them from spinning.....I think there was a big oiling problem with these engines...Since they are just a truck engine, they weren't designed for sustained high RPM use...

Welcome aboard Mr Upholster, :cheers It's always nice to hear from new members, or at least it usually is. :rolleyes: Just kidding. :D Although I can't help but wonder if you're not one of those evil Mopar owners just trying to stir up trouble. :cuss :D
I supose you may be right about those valve train problems. I guess that the solid lifter engines could easily rev high enough to drop valves, bend pushrods and break springs. But I'd guess that those engines were reving pretty high.
The damage was likely done by guys like me that have been known to blow a shift from time to time. :eek: Thank god for rev limiters and shift lights!
I don't think there's any problems with the oiling system though. Some builders drill out the main bearing feeds if they bore the block out to fit a newer big block crank. But aside from that there seems to be no reason to change anything.

M

MK IISS

Ned Jarrett won the 1961 NASCAR championship driving his 409 powered '61 BelAir Spt Cps. Mr. Jarrett entered 46 races with 34 top 10s with only 2 dropouts (DNF's) due to an engine problem. Ned Jarrett finished 4th in the World 600 at Charlotte. That's 600 miles....wide open...foot to the floor. In interviews Ned Jarrett attributed his championship to the durability of the 409 engine.

Rex White finished 2nd in points driving 409 powered Chevrolets.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Blowup

I bought a 63 409 new and raced it on the strip and street for 2 years. I must have led a charmed life because that 09 only broke 1 valve spring and 1 rear end in all that time. Shifted at 6400 Launched at around 2500. Spent a lot of time at Drag strips and think I saw Mopars and Fords blow up just as much as Chevys.
QS409

oil4kids

Well Known Member
darn truck engines

those darn truck engines-

won most of the classes back then- and this one is still running

Bill Jenkins claims he launched at 6500 and shifted at 7200

If i did that, I wouldnt be able to get out of the car- my pants would be a sad site

Great Job Bill!

Attachments

• billz11.gif
    billz11.gif
    76.4 KB · Views: 72

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Oiling problems??

There were no "oiling problems" with the 409, just the supply and pick-up had to work for the application: oval or drag racing. I have yet to pin a main bearing on the 409, and valve spring problems were common to all racing of the "day" for all manufacturers. The oval or endurance racing took the biggest share of the grief due to the cycle factor. The materials were nowhere like the wire we have access to now. As far as the "truck engine"........I think the feelings have been pretty well expressed about that. Brisbane47 PS, Ned Jarrett has not been feeling that well lately, best wishes to him.