'58 Build

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Tripower,

Just called a local guy two miles from my house. Said he'd blast and powder the frame for $300. To me that's a hell of a deal.
That is a hell of a deal. To sand blast my frame was three hours of time at $80/hour. The quotes for powder coating range from $400 - $600.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My guy quoted me $1000 to soda blast a 75 Camaro with no front clip.
Wow, the quotes I have to media/soda blast the '59 body and underside on a rotisserie are $600 - $700 and includes the front clip.

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Think I need to do some shopping or see if I can get my guy to do it more reasonably.
When we blasted the frame on the 67 we did it out in the driveway and in one stall of the garage with tarps hanging from the ceiling to try to hold in the dust. Still made a mess, was not fun and after that decided I would just sandblast small parts that I could fit in the cabinet and hire the big stuff done.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some rental companies will rent the soda blasting equipment and sell the media. I don't remember prices off hand, I just know I'd rather not deal with the clean up in my own yard. Now, renting a generator and doing this in an open field on the other hand...

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
IMAG1206_zpsfe24rhba.jpg

Received my headers. Not seen x frame headers before. Interesting...a lot different than the ones I installed on my '72 Chevelle years back!

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hedman...know anything about them, Phil? I did a search on this forum and didn't see much for comments on them.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ah, thanks for rubbing the fact that I can't have a W, Don. :D I actually did see that there were quite a few posts with them, just no real long term opinions as to how they held up.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have them powder coated. They should do well. Just protect them during installation so they don't get scratched.

Lonnie

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have them powder coated. They should do well. Just protect them during installation so they don't get scratched.

Lonnie
Lonnie, I didn't think that was an option. Engine temp goes way beyond powder coat curing temps. I was just going to paint them.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Lonnie, I didn't think that was an option. Engine temp goes way beyond powder coat curing temps. I was just going to paint them.
I had the headers powder coated for my '60. They have been on for the better part of a year and I have not noticed any problems. It's a 280 horse engine so probably not a whole lot of heat. I believe more power equates to more heat and I believe you will be WAY above 280 hp. Some one with more knowledge than me can chime in here and probably give you a better answer.

Lonnie

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Lonnie
Lonnie, I think you mean ceramic coated. Powder would never hold up its just another form of paint.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes Dan, they are a black coating good for 1800 degrees. Is some type of ceramic and looks like satin black paint.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Lonnie,or Scott,how much stronger does that 280 horse feel with those small tube headers on it compared to the stock 2 inch outlet manifolds that were on there?

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not sure Don. I know it sounds a lot smoother not as cackley. Dad says it feels better but I just get to work on it. Not allowed in drivers seat:poke:hide. But I never tried either. Last time I drove one of dads cars it cost me a trans, driveshaft, yoke, hole in floor and a cracked header. So I try to stay out of them.:dunno We also changed the complete exhaust.