'58 Build

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes Dan, they are a black coating good for 1800 degrees. Is some type of ceramic and looks like satin black paint.
Thank you Son. I stand corrected. As I said, some one smarter than me can chime in with a better answer.

Thanks,
Dad

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Lonnie,or Scott,how much stronger does that 280 horse feel with those small tube headers on it compared to the stock 2 inch outlet manifolds that were on there?
Don, actual performance, not sure. Would have to put it back on the track to compare times. It does "feel" much smoother through the gears, and more "together" if that makes any sense. And just for the record, Scott is allowed in the drivers seat anytime!!

Lonnie

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don, actual performance, not sure. Would have to put it back on the track to compare times. It does "feel" much smoother through the gears, and more "together" if that makes any sense. And just for the record, Scott is allowed in the drivers seat anytime!!

Lonnie
Not much of a drastic hp increase as it is the increase of low-mid range torque that makes for that better "feel" and most likely better fuel mileage as well.That's always been my experience with small blocks,and the reason I refuse to run manifolds on anything.I'm sure Scott could wring it out,but it would have to have been done on the stock manifolds to have a comparison.Thanks for the info,Lonnie.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had it on the track at Thompson in 2011. If we ever go back there I could make the comparison. Those passes were with the manifolds.

Lonnie

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Dicey

I had mine dipped and stripped by a company in Franklin, Wi called Restoration Specialties You can check out the pictures in my photobucket account shows before and after. Once ALL of the metal work gets finished it will go back for another dip through the strip tanks (not nearly as long this time as its just to clean off any flash rust and junk from metal work. From there they send it to another place (I believe in Michigan) to get EDP coated as my build moves along I will keep updated the photobucket account. The $500 for the frame and "extras" is very reasonable I have a guy here that does the bare frame for $300 including blasting but by the time I added up all the other do dads it came to 52 pieces and he was $925 total. Here is the link
http://s257.photobucket.com/user/66ragtp/library/58%20Impalaphoto 1.JPG

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dicey

I had mine dipped and stripped by a company in Franklin, Wi called Restoration Specialties You can check out the pictures in my photobucket account shows before and after. Once ALL of the metal work gets finished it will go back for another dip through the strip tanks (not nearly as long this time as its just to clean off any flash rust and junk from metal work. From there they send it to another place (I believe in Michigan) to get EDP coated as my build moves along I will keep updated the photobucket account. The $500 for the frame and "extras" is very reasonable I have a guy here that does the bare frame for $300 including blasting but by the time I added up all the other do dads it came to 52 pieces and he was $925 total. Here is the link
http://s257.photobucket.com/user/66ragtp/library/58%20ImpalaView attachment 33194
Thanks for sharing! Amazing how deep you're going on this car. Can't wait to see the end product. So much fabrication going on. I couldn't afford or even try that.