'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Edelbrock pump fits without any trouble. Dougs tri y fit my car perfectly. Fingers install rings without much trouble, usually.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Everyone here knows Aubrey. If you do a seach for Speed Port intake you will find a plitoriam of information.

That's alright. I'm not going to buy another cam just to get that intake. I'll go with what I have and try the edelbrock with a spacer and see if I like it. I can build a race engine when I get board with this one. Will save me money for other parts I need too.
If I don't like the cam I'll change it later.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Is there an aluminum bell housing that will work with the 348-409's I can use in place of the stock boat anchor? Jegs sells an inverted starter bell housing but not sure if it will work.
I have a couple of 60's or 70's aluminum bell housings but not sure if they will work either.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're going to a scatter shield [not a bad idea],get the one that's called "Quicktime",it is reportededly a much better fitting part,than that old,original design was.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The bolt pattern for the BH is the same for a large or small, you just need a large if you are using an 11 inch clutch and large flywheel.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
The bolt pattern for the BH is the same for a large or small, you just need a large if you are using an 11 inch clutch and large flywheel.

Will a modern starter bolt up correctly if I use an aftermarket bellhousing? My other engine had the holes tapped already for a modern starter but only tried the stock style that bolts to the bell. This one looks like only one hole is threaded in the block.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If you're going to a scatter shield [not a bad idea],get the one that's called "Quicktime",it is reportededly a much better fitting part,than that old,original design was.

The Quick time is a better fit than the Lakewood bell housing?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Night and day comparison, QuickTime is far superior. Several of us are running the quicktime but in all honesty there is nothing wrong with your 552 for your build.

Everyone keeps telling me I need a scatter shield. Figured the bell housing would look better but much more expensive.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Night and day comparison, QuickTime is far superior. Several of us are running the quicktime but in all honesty there is nothing wrong with your 552 for your build.

Will an 11" setup fit in the stock bell?
I plan to upgrade things later and I'm sure at some point change things with the engine so might as well get it now before it's in. Rather be safe than a gimp any way.

My dad was telling me about when my mom got a pinto they had stuck in the driveway and blew the clutch or flywheel and how close it came to taking her foot off.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm sure I'm going to beat it up more than I think I am after I break it in or break it.
Other than not having a huge cam and solid lifters everything else is Able to take the abuse. hopefully the bullet roller lifters are worth the cost.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Built me an electrician's body panel paint rack for my fenders. Ordered my carb, intake, Doug's headers. Decided to return the Quick Fuel Street Strip 750 and go with the Race Q 850 Annual after talking with a local older race guy that recommended I go with it and tune it down if I have to but says it will work well out of the box. Think I'm going to go with a MSD and sump my tank. Run AN fittings and a -8 line to a regulator with 2 -6 lines to my carb with an electric fuel pump.
May not be necessary but all I have is a 3/8 line from my tank with mechanical pump ment for the other stock engine I had.

Last edited: