'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pertronics III has the rev limiter built in and has a different pickup from the II.

Don

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I didn't see any like the stand alone MSD or Pertronics with a built in limiter when I bought mine. It was a few years ago though.
I'll have to look these up. Hate to buy a new one and get hosed selling the one I have. I found the thread for Pertronics on here. Maybe I'll just go with what I have and get the rev limiter for it.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[QUOTmad sycsteve, post: 315149, member: 8535"]I didn't see any like the stand alone MSD or Pertronics with a built in limiter when I bought mine. It was a few years ago though.
I'll have to look these up. Hate to buy a new one and get hosed selling the one I have. I found the thread for Pertronics on here. Maybe I'll just go with what I have and get the rev limiter for it.[/QUOTE]

The msd unit does NOT have a rev limiter, ......it does not need the CD box.......so you might prefer the pertronic for the rev limiter.........

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Got my 348 back the other day. In the process of masking it off to paint and noticed when I put the stock oil pan on it hits the front main studs. I bought them from show cars, ARP 348 409 studs.
Any one have this problem? Will the 6 QT pan clear them or the Stef's aluminum pan? I could modify the pan or worst case bring it back to the shop but I think the crank counter weights will hit too. They were worried about this but were to busy to check or didn't care.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If they are like the replacement arp bolts that they sell,they're big block parts,and are .200 or so too long.They say on the bolts that either the bolts must be shortened by .200 or tap the holes in the block .200 deeper.There are several guys here using the 409 six quart pan with 4 inch cranks,without cutting the counter weights.They can chime in on what,if anything is needed here.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
The spec sheet that came in the box doesn't say anything about cutting them down unless they didn't give me all the paperwork back. Either way I think the pan will hit the counter weights too.
It took them over a year to build my short block so bringing it back is a last resort. They keep referring this engine to pretty much a waste of time and money too so tells ya one thing about them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok,I see what the problem is,you're trying to use the stock 348 pan.I don't think that it will work here.When using that pan on an engine with a 409 crank,one must do a bit of hammer work to clear the larger counter weight on the crank.With a 4 inch stroke,I don't think this is going to work.Screw cutting down the counter weights,you've already paid to have the assembly balanced and assembled.You can use either a steel 409 6 qt.pan[car or truck] pan or Steffs and be fine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,I think that will work.My catalog says to allow extra time,as these are made to order.That looks like a 409 pan with the dipstick moved to the left side.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes that is what Don is referring to for a 409 pan for $330 shipped to your door. There web site for Show Cars has the same price.
Show Car 409 pans are very nice. Original 409 pans are $200 to $300 and most you see have damage to them. You see 409 truck pans for sale used. I have 2 used 409 pans.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thats a 65 409 pan only needed for 65 409's to fit the frame in 65 full size cars with 409 motors
The first 409 pan link you posted at $ 299 will fit 348/409s 1958-64.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Thats a 65 409 pan only needed for 65 409's to fit the frame in 65 full size cars with 409 motors

Thanks. I was wondering why it had the different shape.

sycsteve

Well Known Member

Thanks. I was wondering why it had the different shape.
Yes that is what Don is referring to for a 409 pan for $330 shipped to your door. There web site for Show Cars has the same price.
Show Car 409 pans are very nice. Original 409 pans are $200 to $300 and most you see have damage to them. You see 409 truck pans for sale used. I have 2 used 409 pans.
Paul

What shape are they in and what are you asking? Can you email me pics? biscayne348@gmail.com

sycsteve

Well Known Member
better stock up on busch light, looks like those are empty. jim

HaHA :taunt was waiting for that. But no one noticed the 70's mini bike behind them that has a Brigs 5hp slightly modified. Goes 45 mph. I don't do bars and have a woman that consumes with me so they go fast sometimes. Hopefully your not judging me because I drink Busch Light like most people do.
I don't drink when I'm working on the car though.
You would really laugh if you saw how I prep my garage for painting my parts. Kirby vacuum and a leaf blower. Have 2 furnace fans to suck out the over spray.
That's Imperial orange metallic which I plan to repaint my disc break calipers the same color too.

Last edited: