61 impala bubbletop

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yup, it's gonna be picked up in an enclosed trailer tuesday and delivered here within a week of pick up...it has been repaired on one front fender in the past but everything but the tired is 1961...seat covers are rough but very usable...I'm concerned about taking an original impala and gutting the driveline...I've got the 474 motor and a 9" rear sitting here along with a box of every part needed to turn this into a manual tranny car using all GM parts...it's either this car or the '62, one is gonna be a ground pounder...she needs kick board cards but not much more...61 bubbletop5.jpg61 bubbletop6.jpg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you guys have ruined me yanno...I've not looked at my camaros in months...I've started them but not driven them...I'll post up some pics of the elky, she's running fine, jack did a fine job with the motor...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought the 62 to gut and build my way but it's just too nice a car to do that to...she runs and drives like new...I'm really thinking of putting a 700R tranny in it and a/c so I can really enjoy it in florida...it's pretty much a done deal that the 61 is the candidate for gutting...one of my buddies is screaming at me that I should leave an original as is but it's a 283, not a 409 or something very desirable...she sat in a barn for the last 14 years I'm told...do we really know what were told...I was told as a kid that all cops were our friends...I see how that turned out...:cool:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'd drive that puppy just the way she is for a while to "get to know her" :). Once you've fallen in love, then the decisions come easier...

I drove my 62SS for about five years with a 2 barrel 283 PG and had a blast. Then she got a makeover :).

Congrats!
TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks tom, I've been driving the 62 and have been having a blast...I rebuilt the carb but was looking at edelbrock specks when I set my float levels...seems the eddy is adjusted twice as high than the carter...at a stoplight once I engage the throttle is stalls...floods and dumps fuel out of the carb onto the manifold...once I readjust the float level is should be fine except for the shifting...she hits second gear about 25 mph and then pulls slowly...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought it from an estate, the fellow who owned it died 14 years ago phil...