'61 Impala SS @ Russo & Steel

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Having come from Tommy,It's more than likley worth it.To bad a person couldnt afford to drive it much,too dangerous.:cry

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Like you guys, I'm very dissapointed as was the owner. Russo & Steel is a second rate auction company for sure. There are some very expensive lessons to be learned here. He waited until all the good spots were filled before deciding to list the car so he lost his chance at a decent selling time. I stayed up to watch the car go across the block , I think an honest value for the car today is about 125K, maybe a little less but no good auctioneer would try to start a car like that at 200k and then have to work down and that's what they did.
I am convenced that it's the only '61SS in the world with paperwork to back it up and I also beleive it's the only one with that cowl tag whick makes it a really special car. When Super Chevy did the article on the car last year I allowed them photograph the paperwork and the cowl tag thinking that someone, somewhere would contact me or the magazine saying "that ain't the only one, I've got one too", I've heard from a lot of people concerning the car, ever have people contact me wanting to know where the car would be displayed at so they could come see it but I never heard one person say they had one with paperwork or that cowl tag.
When I heard the car was going across at 10 PM, I thought 10 PM EST time which would have been a decent time in Az. By going across so late there was zero change of any phone bidders back east and it looked like most of the crowd had left. Probably left and went back over to B-J
Oh, well....wonder what Larry's '61 brought.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tommy,
Can you elaborate on the cowl tag? I looked at the car when I was there a few years back, but I don't remember any details about the tag.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just got Back from AZ and the auctions. Went to Russo and Steele on Friday , and must say was very disappointed in the quality of many of the cars and the whole deal seemed second rate this year. The 61 was amazing, hard to describe that time capsule. Easily the nicest W at either auction. Barrett-Jackson had much nicer Cars over all and the whole program is put together so much better than Russo's. And yes they had many cars with a Reserve this year. I believe all the Ron Pratt cars had reserves along with several others. Some amazing machines went across that stage. Good times and so many cars its all a blur.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had lunch with one of my airport friends last week who knows Ron Pratt and lives near his collection/museum in Chandler. He asked if I would be interested in seeing it.
Guess what my answer was.:love:dance

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had lunch with one of my airport friends last week who knows Ron Pratt and lives near his collection/museum in Chandler. He asked if I would be interested in seeing it.
Guess what my answer was.:love:dance
Let me see...:thinkAnswer: No I have my own musem I am still trying to sort out.....:laugh

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I thought the W powered cars did well at the BJ auction. I think a well documented car like this 61 Super Sport would have done really well there.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was told my 61 went for $61K at the Silver Auction, but I haven't seen anything official. That's pretty high for a clone and a lot more than I sold it for a few weeks ago but it cost that much to build. Larry

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Tommy, I was told by a couple of people but that must have been the reserve. I actually feel better that my loses were not someone's gain. AZ409