61 SS ?s

Judging from tests I've read and posts here as well as results from dragstrips in 1961 I find it hard to believe there was a nearly TWO SECOND difference between a 350/348 and a 409, all things being equal. Given they were just about identical except for 3x2's and 61 cubic inches I'd say 14.5 vs 14.0 seems more like it.

They didn't put tri power on the 409 because it was a very limited production engine in 1961 and 2x4's were on the books for 1962. Pontiac had 2x4's in 1962, Mopar was already running 2x4's, Ford waited until 1963 1/2 but had a better 3x2 set up to begin with. 3x2's have panache, but you get a mixture distribution problem after 6000 rpm (6 barrels/8 cylinders).

Silver valve covers in 1961 but it's been pretty much put to bed that the 62's had a greenish tinge, and more gloss. Chevy didn't start putting decals on their engines until 1962.

Ollie: you said it all when you said you went back to vacuum for "show", I'd rather put my car on the line in a race than join a "who's got the cleanest car" contest. And YOU seem to be the one "showing off' your alleged knowledge. By the way, go back to the beginning of these posts, waasn't it YOU who said you had a buddy with vast knowledge but didn't want to share it?. Why not?. I pass on my knowledge, given my sources, provide an explaination, so far all you've done is critizise me.

You'd actually throw me off Chevytalk?. And whose playing "god" now?.

M

MK IISS

Fran:

I too was disappointed in the times of the '61 348/350 Impala. Maybe the testers didn't know how to drive. The article was in MOTOR LIFE. Hard to find reprints of any of these tests.

Ford ran 2X4bbls on some of their '62 406 F/X engines along with fiberglass body panels instead of aluminum like Chevrolet.

59fins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
we sound like a couple kids on the play ground, talking about who's dad is bigger and stronger, arent we better than that, for God sake's grow up! Or will I get told that my dad is fat and ugly :eek:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bungy said:
Maybe, Post a picture of your dad and we'll let you know. :D

Heeee HEEEE Some humor is good now and then !!

But Fins has a point !!

But maybe we should post pictures of our dads !!!!

Could option LPO 1108 police handling package consisting of heavier duty springs, shocks and 8:00 x 14 4 ply nylon tires been part of or required in the SS package?. (LPO is Limited production Option).

M

MK IISS

The SS mandatory RPO heavy duty suspension may have used the same parts as the LPO police option but I don't think there is anyway to determine it now unless someone has a '61 parts book. There was a '61 Biscayne 348/305 unmarked police car in my area which I drove around the block once after doing some service work on it. I can remember the car well because it was the only '61 Chevy police car in our area. The car had a "reputation" amoung us hotdogs: DON'T MESS WITH IT. This '61 had very stiff springs so my guess it was not the SS suspension. It also had 15" wheels/tires.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
The shocks that were required on the SS may be the same as those used in the police package as mentioned by Fran, I doubt if the springs were. The SS required RPO 200 (shocks), RPO 253 (springs), and RPO 691 (tires). These may be the same springs and shocks that were used in the LPO 1108 package. I don't know. The wheels & tires would have been different for sure, the SS had 8:00x14, 1" wide whitewalls, the police cars had 15" blackwalls. Or the Virginia Police cars had 15' wheels, don't know about areas.

M

MK IISS

Tommy:

Thank you for your reply. I have never driven or ridden in a '61 SS, sorry to say. However by 1961 I had driven several new Chevrolets with the optional heavy duty suspension, most of the young guys in my area ordered them that way. As you know the h.d. suspension didn't hurt the ride that much but it sure got rid of the floating feeling my dad's Impala had. This '61 Police Biscayne was very "truck like" augmented by the lack of body insulation. It was the only 348/305 engine I ever worked on. Great car.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I've never drive one far either, just from the trailer to the show field!!!!! But, it doesn't ride hard at all, my Impala 348-280 has the regular supension, the biggest difference that I see is, the SS sets about 1" higher. One of the big differences in the Impala and the Biscayne ride is the amount of cushioning in the seats. I have a question for you, in Va. they had about 90% Mopar police cars in 61, a few Fords and a very few Chevrolets. I remember one 61 Chevrolet police car in our area. It was a black Biscayne 2 dr sedan, 305 hp, 3 speed with 15" blackwall tires. I sure thought it had solid lifters, I still remember the sound of that car. I think the 1960 305's had solid lifters, do you suppose that police car had a late 60 motor? Do you remember if the 305 you worked on had solids?
Just wondering.......Tommy

M

MK IISS

Tommy:

This is very strange. Your description of the '61 Biscayne is identical to the one I was talking about. The one I worked on was unmarked with only a spotlight to distinguish it from a normal consumer car. It had hyd. lifters. I know for sure because I did a couple tune ups on it. It also had an unpainted alum. intake, a big AFB and the big pipes. It was the only Chev. police car in the area. It was not a state or county car, just a small nearby community police car.

I think the '60 305 was an entirely different engine, only came with the powerglide and it had solid lifters and 11.0 pistons. If you wanted a man. trans you got the 320 horse.

I even did oil changes on the NY State Police cars which were Plymouths. My uncle said it was just good business. There was a state sub-station in our town but no Plymouth dealer and many of the police officers drove Chevrolets as their personal cars. The '60 Plymouths had Desoto Adventurer engines and were very fast. A lot faster then the Biscayne.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I learn something everyday from this forum. It never occured to me before that only the powerglide was available with the 60 305 motor. I've never done much research on anything other than the 61's. I checked Colvin's book and according to him, you are right and it says "with high lift cam". The 61 305 had the same cam as the 250 motor. Really, the only difference in the 1961 250 and the 305 was heads, intake, carb and exhausts. In other words, a 305 was a 250 that was allowed to breathe.
:cheers

M

MK IISS

Tommy:

If I remember correctly there were only two main differences between the '60 Powerglide 348/305 and the man. trans. 348/320. The 320 had 11.25 pistons, the 305 had 11.0. The lift and duration of the camshafts were similar but the 305 cam was indexed differently to bring the idle speed down and provide more low end torque.

Mid-year in '60 Chevy actually changed the 320 and 335 horse to '61 340 and 350 horse specs but didn't change the horsepower rating until the '61 model year.