62 409 4 Speed

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Question for you Gav. Do you have a group of people ordering parts that split the cost of a container to get the parts shipped to you? Reason I ask is I know a guy from Australia that will be trying to get some parts shipped over from the states.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Jim, this is sort of difficult, even a 20ft container needs to absolutely full to make it worth while, Then unfortunately the people involved have to get along real good and be trust worthy.
There are shipping companies based in Long Beach that can save some money with group shipping, I have heard good and bad as usually the part you really wanted either gets missed in the shipment or lost.
Gav being in NZ, Mainfreight Logistics is more than likely the go to, via LCL shipments, but in my experience the actual cost to have goods in a LCL has gone up dramatically over the last couple of years

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim, this is sort of difficult, even a 20ft container needs to absolutely full to make it worth while, Then unfortunately the people involved have to get along real good and be trust worthy.
There are shipping companies based in Long Beach that can save some money with group shipping, I have heard good and bad as usually the part you really wanted either gets missed in the shipment or lost.
Gav being in NZ, Mainfreight Logistics is more than likely the go to, via LCL shipments, but in my experience the actual cost to have goods in a LCL has gone up dramatically over the last couple of years
Thanks for the info Grub. The guy I know is trying to get several parts, one of which is a set of side moldings. I normally ship USPS, but apparently, they won't ship anything that long. So, he's just trying to weigh his options. I just shipped an air cleaner over. USPS was under $200.00 but both FedEx and UPS wanted around $1200.00.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have you considered ACP?
yep gave them a shout Dave, They came back and said that they have the two options, under car & fenderwell. I remember a message a while ago under another thread where you had made mention hence why I contacted them.
The undercar tapers down as per below photo, but these certainly aren't cheap at US $1495.00 + FGT, + TAX, so Landed back in NZ via sea approx NZ $3900.00 - $4100.00, so having a set made here a bit better.

Thanks for the note though. They certainly look to be a nice set.

409 Under Car.jpeg409 Fenderwell.jpg

Cheers

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Question for you Gav. Do you have a group of people ordering parts that split the cost of a container to get the parts shipped to you? Reason I ask is I know a guy from Australia that will be trying to get some parts shipped over from the states.
Hey Jim,
Any stuff that I get out of the states for sea all goes via a company that I deal with called Kiwi Shipping and this is a shared service where containers include cars & LCL freight.
Kiwi Shipping also sends to Australia as well and are based in Gardena, LA

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info Grub. The guy I know is trying to get several parts, one of which is a set of side moldings. I normally ship USPS, but apparently, they won't ship anything that long. So, he's just trying to weigh his options. I just shipped an air cleaner over. USPS was under $200.00 but both FedEx and UPS wanted around $1200.00.
Hey Grub,
Kiwi Shipping who I use is also part of Mainfreight and works out well for me as Mainfreight is directly across the road from us at work. You aren't wrong with regards to LCL & FCL costs gone up as these have skyrocketed as you say over the last couple of years, which is just atrocious.

Courier costs to Jim have ballooned out and as I mentioned in an earlier post that our exchange rate is now rubbish as well for importing where we are now at .55c US to 1 NZ$

Gav

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Jim,
Any stuff that I get out of the states for sea all goes via a company that I deal with called Kiwi Shipping and this is a shared service where containers include cars & LCL freight.
Kiwi Shipping also sends to Australia as well and are based in Gardena, LA

Gav
Thanks Gav, I appreciate the information.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gav, I just tossed that out as an option. I have a set of original Stahls on my car (I got them from Phil a long time ago) and I have never had an issue. I've also purchased some kit parts from them, excellent service and results, but I can see the exchange rate is a killer for you. Headers seem to be one of those things that go up every year for some reason. I would maybe prefer a set of the fenderwells but not enough to change them!

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav, I just tossed that out as an option. I have a set of original Stahls on my car (I got them from Phil a long time ago) and I have never had an issue. I've also purchased some kit parts from them, excellent service and results, but I can see the exchange rate is a killer for you. Headers seem to be one of those things that go up every year for some reason. I would maybe prefer a set of the fenderwells but not enough to change them!
Appreciate it.

Engine is knocking on 500HP. Have read many where said best to use 2" primary's for this sort of HP.
Could you get away with 1 7/8" or best to stick to 2"!

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Re headers. Sometimes it is worth making them, at least that way they will fit your car,
I don't know how many times over the years I have bought or paid for a product or service and had to fix it or adjust it for clearance and or make it work myself, nowadays I will try to work it out first and only use outside if I only have to.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Re headers. Sometimes it is worth making them, at least that way they will fit your car,
I don't know how many times over the years I have bought or paid for a product or service and had to fix it or adjust it for clearance and or make it work myself, nowadays I will try to work it out first and only use outside if I only have to.
Grub, yes going to now get made locally, only way to go now.