'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
he wasn't necessarily refering to a glide, tranny's in general I believe...I've not looked but I'm assuming they make a looser ones that stock...I'm not wanting a drag converter, just may need one that's looser if that's the issue...I'm hoping there's a more logical issue and an easier fix...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
brass floats and no phil, I wanna keep this car just as is, add a/c and cruise...I have the 59 and 61 to beat up...don, I'll bet you a dollar the engine will run on like a sewing machine when placed in park, no load to bog it down...
What I am saying is see if you can stall the engine by braking with the load unloaded by rear wheels spinning and then stopping rear wheels and then see if you can stall engine.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
will do, I'll try almost anything once...I've gone thru the carb 3 times, I have other things I'd rather be chasing than a pissy fuel system...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When you shut it off after idling for awhile does it instantly start without having to grind on it ,like being somewhat flooded?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
nope, starts right up...either don't touch the gas pedal or put it to the floor as with most vehicles I've had...the motor runs fine, it seems to have too much load on it when engaged and stalls...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
nope, starts right up...either don't touch the gas pedal or put it to the floor as with most vehicles I've had...the motor runs fine, it seems to have too much load on it when engaged and stalls...
Then I would say carb is ok. Just so you have no vacuum leaks around carb. If the mixture screws are affecting rpm when you adjust then carb most likely is ok.

Last edited:

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jacked up the back end of the 62 and started it, warmed up the motor and them engaged drive and reverse multiple times and no stall or stumble...sure sounds like the converter os way too tight...did some looking and am finding they're difficult to find...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When it shudders does it feel like you are on a wash board ridge road? Does it shutter when it shifts gears driving? Check trans fluid for burn smell , dirty, fluid level.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
when I say shudder I refer to wanting to starve for fuel...once running off idle it runs great and shifts on time...the reason I'm thinking torque converter is for the following reasons...when I bought the car it was tuned for cold weather climate, I got it in the cool month of january and it ran fine...as the temps got hotter so does the fuel in the carb, it seems like it's boiling...car is now running very fat...when I come to a stop the fuel is dumping to a manifold that isn't moving it into the cylinders like it just was so it begins to flood...if I had a 4 speed I would push in the clutch and there would be no problem...due to the cams lack of vacuum and the tight converter the engine just stalls without the ability to move the fuel...dunno if that make sense in print but it does in my head...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
heatriser is there and functional, choke functions correctly as well...I've not looked at the plugs as of yet, just haven't gotten that far but I would expect them to be rich with as much raw fuel that gets dumped on them...gonna go soak in the hot tub, old man back is barkin...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is the vacuum modulator leaking thru it's vacuum hose? That can cause a rich condition that can be sneaky to find.This car has,I think that you said,a cast iron Glide in it.The 327's starting in 62 had the aluminum glide,the iron unit was behind 6 cylinder and 283 cars only.If by some chance,that iron glide ever has to come out,I'd suggest going directly to a turbo 350.