62 Impala SS Bubbletop Re-Restoration

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I am getting slightly motivated to start fixing my 62 since I wrecked it. (see thread 62 SS Bubbletop For Sale- recent body work). This thread is to document the re-restoration since we all love to look at pictures. :)

I got the go ahead from the insurance company to dismantle the car and check for hidden damage at 11:30 Friday morning. Still no word on the appraisal because they can't find parts. I have located some of the parts I need from other forum members, as well as a complete NOS front clip from a guy I met while visiting Michigan a couple of months ago.
Went out to the driveway as soon as I got off the phone with him, removed the severely damaged front clip and got it running at 1:00. All new nuts and bolts sure made this part easy! Made sure it would move on its own and stopped at that point because the heat index was 106.
Engine and tranny seem to be ok, but I still need to find out why there is a lot of trans fluid under the car. Passenger side cowl area is crushed a little, so I will need to cut in a new section, good time to smooth the firewall. The rest of the main body looks ok, but the rear quarters are slightly wavy. I am hoping once the body is taken off the severely tweaked frame it willl straighten out some. :dunno
Went back out today to turn the car around so I could back it into the garage and lift the body off. It took 2 hours to get everything pryed out of the front crossmember and engine to be able to turn the wheels enough to do a 30 point turn. :bang Once in the garage, I disconnected everything from the body to the frame so I can lift the body off tomorrow.

This time around it will get a 409 stroker and am toying with the idea of putting a blower on it. Still not sure if it will take too much away from the look that I want, although it would be bad-a$$.

I will be picking up the replacement frame from CTC Auto Ranch on Tuesday. I asked for the full 1-piece box style frame, unless someone can tell me why I should not use it over the 2-piece welded frame.

I would love to hear from everyone that wants to make reccomendations on things I should add or do differently this time around.

Many more pics to come as I progress.

Attachments

• DSC03764.jpg
    DSC03764.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC03765.jpg
    DSC03765.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC03775.jpg
    DSC03775.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC03787.jpg
    DSC03787.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC03788.jpg
    DSC03788.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 376

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian: Those pictures will help WHEN you get into a later dispute with the insurance co. Your counsel is receiving them as well?
robert

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Brian,
I,m glad to hear that you are out and about! Are you and your canine friend recovering well? It' good to see you have been released to begin the disassembly of the '62.
I'm sure you will have it back on the road and better than ever in no time at all. The 409 will be great...makes me kinda envious. You kinda went the hard way to get it though.
Good luck...and don't get too hot. This 100+ degree an 50%+ humidity will sap you before you know it.
Take care, Danny

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Good to see things are moving along, actually your insurance company appears to be pretty responsive. As Danny said it's great that you weren't hurt to bad.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I feel really bad for you having the accident after all the hard work the first time. What are the 2 colors of your car? I have been toying with the idea of 2 tone very similar to yours. Maybe like a champagne metallic and darker gray or beige metallic. I will probably go with a fawn interior.Are you planning on the same colors next go around ? Curious: How much does an NOS clip go for? Amazing someone could have something like that after 40 something years.Good luck with your re-restoration, Kevin.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am willing to bet that Brian gets that car done twice before most can even think of getting one car done. Can't wait to see the finished product next go around.
:cheers

Todd

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks All! At the end of the day, if I had to have a wreck, this is exactly what I would have wanted to get messed up. The hood was not perfect (after my foam insulation incident) and the right door had a bit of rust on the inside bottom. It will get done very quickly since all I have to do is unbolt the sheet metal. The longest part is going to be waiting for the insurance money to rebuild it.
If I had gotten hit in the back, the car would most likely go to the junk yard! I spent way too much time on the body to have to re-do it so soon.
A Frame has been located and will be picking it up within the next couple of days and taking it straight to the powder coaters.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sent some parts out last week to the powder coater and picked them up today. Everything was done in Stardust Silver. Still waiting on the insurance check, so can't get much more done.

Attachments

• DSC03812.jpg
    DSC03812.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 5,274
  • DSC03818.jpg
    DSC03818.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03819.jpg
    DSC03819.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 208

wally409

Well Known Member
Wondering what happened to the person that hit you?

If I remember, you'd mentioned that the other driver was on a phone when she hit you - could you give us an update on possible charges?; what was her response when she saw the end result? Any remorse, etc.
This is particularily interesting to me because around 10 years ago my bubbletop was broadsided by a couple of punks speeding who didn't give a damn about the car they just hit. They smarted off to the Mountie (a friend of mine) who investigated the incident and she ended up ticketing the ***holes with 4 charges.
It took the insurance company a couple of months to assemble parts - including the quarter panel they had to get from Arizona - 12-hundred miles away from me.
Also, it was great advice from one of the previous replys to hang on to all your photos - I still have mine. I hope it all goes well with your re-rebuild and that you're satisfied with how everything turns out. Keep us up to date with info and pictures. Wally

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In Texas, they don't issue citations for accidents unless the officer witnesses the accident or there are major injuries..... I don't think the girl spoke english as they had to call in an officer to talk with her, so she didn't say anything to me. Which would have been understandable given the way I was cussing all over the place!

Skim

Well Known Member
Hey Brian the frame came out sweet man. Now I just gotta get out that way so I can see it in person :clap

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Brian,

I just saw that you bike was totaled a few days ago. 1st I hope your father-in-law is OK, 2nd I hope he is doing the right thing and making up the difference on the insurance so you can pick up a new '09 H-D of your choice. Dude you need a break.

One more and we're changing your name to Job:roll

Heres a wish for better times for you.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John-

Thanks. The bike was way over insured because of all the chrome I put on it. My Father-In-Law is doing ok. He was going into a turn and the car coming from the opposite direction cut the turn and ran him over. He's got several broken bones and is bed ridden. His passenger had to be air lifted to a hospital about 100 miles away because she had a big cut on her head. Not sure what the status is of her other than she broke everything from her hips down.

Yes, I am ready for a break! Every vehicle I own has been wrecked in the past 10 months. I keep asking what else can go wrong and of course something does, so I quit asking that question. Now all I want is for 2008 to end!

To top off things, I installed the frame under the car last night and found that the bottom of the drivers frame rail was rusted pretty bad. Alot of pin holes. This of course was after I put the rear end in, ran the fuel and brake lines, put in the rear air bags and the emergency brake cable. :cuss:cuss:cuss:bang:bang:bang

Anyone have a sleeping pill that will take me through to next year????