62 Impala SS Bubbletop Re-Restoration

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Update...

Received the insurance check today. Re-restoration will begin shortly! Ronnie Russell will decide what 409 to build for it and a few changes will be made that I couldn't afford the first time around.

Changes to be made:
409 Stroker (Bob, I need your block!!!)
Air Ride Street Challenge kit
Moser 9" rear
BeCool Radiator
Rack and Pinion Steering
13" Brakes Front 11" rear
etc.....

Skim

Well Known Member
Before you know it it will be like new again!

1962%20chevy%20being%20built%201.jpg

1962%20chevy%20being%20built%202.jpg

1962%20chevy%20being%20built%203.jpg

1962%20chevy%20being%20built%204.jpg

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just to provide an update.

Well, I decided to go a different route...Again! I am not going to do the Air Ride suspension, as I liked the previous ride. Also, I am working on the 3rd replacement frame! The first one was sent directly to the powder coater and when I got it home, the lower rail on the drivers side was rusted out. :bang:bang They never told me about it when they media blasted it so they did the 2nd one for free. My stupidity sent the second one directly to the powder coaters and when I got it back and installed it, the rear section of the frame was twisted by about 4 inches. :takethat:takethat It was not noticable off the car. The third one I have yet to pickup, but I did pick the frame and it is ready to pick up. Since I will be going out of town for a while, I am going to wait until I get back to pick it up and will install it under my car before bringing it to the powder coaters!!!
The good part in all of this is that I am not paying for the frames, but I will be out for a total of 2 media blasting and powder coating charges!!!:doh
I have purchased the following items for the re-restoration/re-creation. Unfortunately I will not be able to work on it for about another 2 - 3 weeks. I have to go to Kentucky to take care of my father-in-law for a while due to the motorcycle accident.

1 - BeCool Show&Go Radiator and fan kit.
bci-83768.jpg

2 - Moser M9 fabricated housing, Aluminum Center Section with Detroit Locker and 3.89 gears. 35 Spline Axles and Wilwood 12" Cross Drilled Brake set with parking Brake and 4 piston calipers.
bare_03.jpg

wil-140-7140-d_w.jpg

3 - Wilwood 14" Front Disc Brake Kit with 2 piece rotors, 6 piston calipers and 2" CPP Drop Spindles.
140-10238-S.jpg

4 - Global West Front Upper and Lower Tubular Control Arms. These things are MASSIVE!!!!
58-64-Control-Arms.jpg

5 - Ronnie Russell is building me a 482 Stroker.
6 - Complete front clip and passenger door from a 62 Impala SS that was wrecked in the rear when it was 6 months old. Been stored in an attic ever since. (Picking this up while I am in Kentucky, came from Dearborn, Michigan)
7 - NOS Grille (I may sell this since I am probably going to chrome it anyway)
8 - NOS Headlight Bezels (I may sell these since I am probably going to chrome it anyway)
9 - Other odds and ends...

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Brian, are those spring loaded air doors on the top and bottom of the radiator shroud? PS. I have parts envy, something new I have invented just for your build :dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian..... Parts look great.... Hope things go well in Ky. Sounds like what I am going through here X 3. Since you are sort of headed East any chance of visiting the relatives here on Delmarva?
robert

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
All of those parts are awesome, Brian.:clap Mel Brooks would call it P.P. envy.:doh:roll:rolleyes:

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian..... Parts look great.... Hope things go well in Ky. Sounds like what I am going through here X 3. Since you are sort of headed East any chance of visiting the relatives here on Delmarva?
robert

Robert-

Not sure if I am going to make it that far East this trip. I do need to come out there to pickup my 49 Chevy. I will probably make another trip later this year for it though. When I do come out, I will drive up your way.

Brian

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian: Just give me a call; as you know I'm not far from your relatives and the 49. I would like to get back on the road myself but it's looking doubtful for awhile. I should go down and get your 49 and take it to Texas and visit all the texas members while down there. Actually I have decided I should take a 409 down to Ronnie for his "stroker school":roll and could take your 49 in the trailer also.
robert

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Brian: Just give me a call; as you know I'm not far from your relatives and the 49. I would like to get back on the road myself but it's looking doubtful for awhile. I should go down and get your 49 and take it to Texas and visit all the texas members while down there. Actually I have decided I should take a 409 down to Ronnie for his "stroker school":roll and could take your 49 in the trailer also.
robert

"ROADTRIP!!" :brow I'm in! :D

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bring the 49 down and I will pay you, put you up with nice sleeping quarters, feed you well, and provide all the beer you can drink!!! How can you pass that up?????

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm thinking this over but have one major problem..my family issues, I would really enjoy doing it and seeing our Texas friends and take my light tackle fishing gear for Ronnie's fishing hole pond. Dick could navigate!!!! I have plenty of vacation days also.
How do you avoid the no gas in the Charlotte/Atlanta area as I believe that is on the way to Texas
robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Come thru Kansas City Robert!!! A gas station out east of town had unleaded at $3.09 yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert, Dick and anyone else interested. What a great idea. If you do stop by Phil's, try to talk Phil and Candy into joining the caravan. Phil is familiar with this area but beware of his route. His idea of a route is any 2 lane blacktop going in the general direction. He found a 63 Impala in my "neighborhood" that I knew nothing about. You will need to bring camping equipment because if you should have car trouble, you will be there a while until help arrives. But , should you guys arrive safely, we would surely have a great time. Looking forward to it. :beerbang

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert, Dick, et al-

Easy Directions (only about 20 miles longer than going through Atlanta)... Take 13S to 64E to 58W (don't go 1 mph over the speed limit through Emporia, Va. !!!!) to 85S to 40W to 30W. You can pull off at Commerce, Tx to get to Ronnie's. No gas problems

To avoid 58 (I would), you can take 64W up through Richmond and Charlottesville to 81S down through Bristol, TN to pick up 40W.

Not sure what you could do for the family problems....They always take precedence. Sure would love to see you out here. Maybe things could be figured out to come down for my adventure at Roy Hill's Drag Racing School on Oct. 27 or my 40th birthday on Nov.16.

NOTE: If you pick up Phil and Candy, make sure Phil leaves his wallet and checkbook at home! Also, no secondary transportation that can haul 409 parts for Phil.