62 impala

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm looking at a decent 62 with a 396 motor, ford 9" posi, disc brakes, and a rust free body...the guy is asking 16K for the ride but it's 1600 miles from me in iowa...any thoughts as to the value of this car...the interior is stock and in good condition and the paint and exterior trim is nice...It wouldn't be a restoration candidate due to all the driveline changes but I'm interested and would like other opinions...

heddrik

Well Known Member
Looks pretty clean. But Iowa=rust usually. If you like it go look at it, Hispanics here in Texas ask that much for a fancy 4 door biscayne sometimes. Do a craigslist search on 62 in Dallas area.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks for the reply, the body work was done 22 years ago and I'm thinking if there was any rust it woulda shown up by now...don't have the time to go to iowa before the auction ends but I may be able to make a deal with the owner about giving him a refundable deposit if the car sin't as described...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Lower the damn rear antennas, love the mags, lower the rear body stance, PG gotta go away for a 4-speed.... and I'd drive the wheels off!!!!!!!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Phil, it said it was a TH400.
We have some members in Iowa, maybe someone is close and can check it out for you.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That 62 is 70 miles from my house.
I could check it for you but not before it finishes on Saturday.

I have found or reviewed 2- 1962 Chevy Impalas that were purchased on my recommendation,
They purchased the cars after I reviewed the cars at the request of the friends who wanted a 62. One SS Hardtop and one SS gold Hardtop

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I wouldn't be surprised that he wants $20,000 for it.
It may or may not be worth that much - the detail on the car is not equivalent to the two that I noted above that friends purchased.
Something weird in the trunk well by the trunk latch...
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the mags and tires stay with the car, he'll install rallye wheels and good rubber but that wont stay if I go for it...paul, I'd love for you to inspect the car but that may pose a problem as the auction ends earlier...the owner said 15,600 is the reserve...I see the silver metal my the trunk latch as well and have to wonder if there aren't mini tubs to contain the fat meats on the back...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
some comments
  • looks to be a factory 283 motor car
  • one of the rocker mldgs(drivers side) is screwed to the body neither one of the rocker mldgs look to be in good useable condition
  • The passenger and drivers door panels are shot (the bottoms are coming apart) -they are probably originals
  • red dash appears to be original paint
  • steering wheel appears to be original with original paint
  • seat covers appear to be original
  • Carpet is probably new
  • the seats are bolted on the top of the carpet (that is incorrect as compared to original)
  • Inside the trunk - the lower rear trunk well has been modified -by making it smaller across the entire width of the well - from left to right
  • The black lettering on the trim mounted aluminum panel on the trunk is worn off or has been removed
  • the lower Impala trunk panel on both sides of the key area on the trunk appears to have numerous dents.
  • The door mirrors are not GM -they are missing the bowtie emblems that originals and good reproductions have
  • no spare tire or rim in the trunk
  • no original jack visible
  • single speed wiper motor (with single speed switch on dash)
  • messy underhood layout and wiring -thrown together (fixable..)
  • rusty hood hinges
  • rusty dual master cylinder
  • I bet the car is very loud inside the car with the 2 & 1/2 inch exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels
  • St Louis built GM plant if the VIN # listed is correct
  • looks like it has large rear springs or air bags to raise the back end of the car to clear the large tires
  • I do not see tubs on the wheel wells in the trunk -from what I can see in the pictures -for the large tires

The VIN number listed is shows that the car is a factory V-8 car(I see the original VIN tag on the door jamb-although it should be inspected along with the cowl tag).
All of these items should be inspected as you want to do.
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
wow, boy am I glad I asked and got such informative replies...dunno how you can see that from pics paul, you are sharp...my intentions was to have a classic car, nice street car with gobs of power...cosmetic stuff is a snap and the motor is junk as is underhood appearance...I want to build a street brawler with old school attitude...I've got a 348 and a nasty 427 sitting on stands...:D

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
spoke to the owner and he's gotten phone bids equal to my top dollar I was using as my limit...paul was gracious enough to go inspect it for me but time isn't on my side...I told him I would pass...still looking for a clean rust free 61 or 62 if anyone knows of one...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
just got off the phone with the owner of the 409 impala I poster a link for...it didn't sell on the auction but in out conversation he said his reserve is 80K, a little rich for my blood...