62 Z-11 Aluminum Body

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am in communication with a gentleman who has a 1962 Z-11 Belair Bubbletop with an aluminum front end. Its one of eighteen factory service packages. Motor is 409/409 short block and Z-11 on up.

Car was recently purchased from collection of Reggie Jackson.

Comments?

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
aluminum

Yep, there were some cars sold that way. What's his price? Get photos if possible.

I almost brokered out my 62 to him when his car warehouse burned years ago. Glad I didn't.

:cool:

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
He just bought it. Photos coming.

Who's got the story on the aluminum front end for the '62?:cool:

That's my understanding, Grump. 16 or 18 sets of aluminum front clips. Fenders, inners, hood, etc. Bumper ? Not sure, but would hope so.

Yup...
There's two kinds of aluminum front end Chevy owners ( 62 wasn't a Z11 )...
Those who have a 62 Belair HT
and those who want a 62 Belair HT

Right Wrench ? !;)

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15

Weren't the majority of those factory released aluminum front ends on Impalas in 62?

:cool:

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The owner of a local Chevy Dealership, Sam Pierce, is a Chevy muscle car nut and he owns the old Zinsmaster 62 aluminum front end drag car. So, yes, they were made. And I have seen another.
It and the other one I have seen were both Impalas.

SteveD

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Chevy Rumble

Some time ago in Chevy Rumble they ran an article called "The Art of the Find" and they had mentioned one 1962 SS with such a set up, promising a future article on its future restoration. I think it was owned by Willy Wagner of Kansas, and I know Phil Reed knows this guy, perhpas this car.

I think I got that one right, couldn't locate the magazine in the pile :) I would take one whether it was a Bubbletop or not!

Cheers,
TomK

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Steve, I believe Rusty Symmes from Winchester, IN owned one-maybe two of the alum. clip cars.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, I have only met Rusty once, even though Winchester is only about 8 miles from where I live in Selma. Go figure! I know he's a 409 guy but didn't know he had any aluminum front 62s. I know Jeff Kirkpatrick was working on some Z11 engine parts for him at one time, but that was a few years ago.

SteveD

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Aluminum '62

Rusty owns a bubbletop with the aluminum front end. It is blue in color. We saw it at the '95 SS reunion in Virginia. I thought the '62 aluminum parts were all service parts, none installed at the factory?
Steven

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Harley - I have ridden in that 62' belair of Jack's. He took me around the block a couple of times. Nothing like it!!!!! It is a very nice car. I does have a z-11 top end.

TomO