63 Wagon 409 Project

Tex63

Well Known Member
Nothing wrong with the wheels, I wanted something bigger and chrome to finish the look I wanted. Wheels are going on a 58 El Camino project in Dennison TX.

Tex63

Well Known Member
Stalled out on engine build progress this week...

Rings ordered were right size on the box label, but something else was in the box.

Also, main bearings look to be too thick, after caps were torqued the crank wouldn't even turn. Machinist measured and compared to the ones that were in it and thinks the mfg specs were outside of tolerance.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Stalled out on engine build progress this week...

Rings ordered were right size on the box label, but something else was in the box.

Also, main bearings look to be too thick, after caps were torqued the crank wouldn't even turn. Machinist measured and compared to the ones that were in it and thinks the mfg specs were outside of tolerance.
:doh Man that stinks. Did you get the rings and the bearings from the same place? What are the chances of both being wrong? Sorry you're running into trouble. I hope the supplier makes it right for you.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The more I look at this the more it trips my trigger. We do not run into something like this every day. Looks like you are doing a fantastic job on it too. You just have to love a wagon that rattles the I-teethe of another at a stop light. Just have to love it. Thanks for sharing.

Tex63

Well Known Member
Got to fire up the 409 for the first time and do some tuning yesterday and here's the dyno pull results from today:

Torque 482.4 @ 4200 rpm
HP 479.9 @ 5800 rpm

Super happy with the results, but have to throw out there that the '09 had some untapped power remaining - didn't push it past 5800 rpm, but that was also the highest HP point, and the fuel mix was still a little fat, but didn't have the next size metering rod.

IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2428.JPGIMG_2435.JPG

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Excellent numbers.

I wonder why there is such a huge dip at 5700? Torque dropped 22 foot/pounds for that one RPM point, but then recovered at 5800. I think a dip is normal, but that seems like a big one. If TQ had held at 434 at 5700 then HP there would have been 471. It was possibly just a momentary glitch of some sort and I doubt you'd ever feel it in the car.

Tex63

Well Known Member
Excellent numbers.

I wonder why there is such a huge dip at 5700? Torque dropped 22 foot/pounds for that one RPM point, but then recovered at 5800. I think a dip is normal, but that seems like a big one. If TQ had held at 434 at 5700 then HP there would have been 471. It was possibly just a momentary glitch of some sort and I doubt you'd ever feel it in the car.

Looking at video of the dyno, tech in the room has his hand on the linkage, I asked about it and he said the progressive linkage wouldn't go full throttle so he was giving it an extra push at the end, likely explains the dip. It was adjusted later in the testing. Very observant thanks for the ask !

Here's another view of the initial startup

Was awesome in person, but neither video clip does justice to the cinder block walls shaking when accelerating at the top of the curve.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I hope that guy, doesn't make a habit, of going in the dyno room, without ear protection.:dunno HUH, WHAT.:doh

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking at video of the dyno, tech in the room has his hand on the linkage, I asked about it and he said the progressive linkage wouldn't go full throttle so he was giving it an extra push at the end, likely explains the dip. It was adjusted later in the testing. Very observant thanks for the ask ! Was awesome in person, but neither video clip does justice to the cinder block walls shaking when accelerating at the top of the curve.

That makes perfect sense. I can't wait to get home and watch the videos!!