650hp from a 348 block

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW.........congratulations...Well Done. Glad to see it going to a great home. It is great to see all this excitement for the great 348....:clap:clap:clap:cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, Thanks for the reply. My questions were probably inappropriate. None of my business, but , gee, I am really excited about your purchase. That Pontiac is gonna fly........:)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Goody! I am anxious to see an imaginative 348 derivative challenge the more common 409. I guess I will have to drive 1800 miles again to see it.:cool:

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey guys...

That's a great match for sure. Glad this worked out for you. ;)

RCE1962

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everybody!:beerbang
Ronnie, I certainly don't mind answering questions.:deal It's always nice to get a new engine.:beerbang
It doesn't look like we'll have time to do a proper job on the Pontiac but we will have it rolling in time to bring it to Thompson. It won't take long to install a roll bar and safety equipment. The body work can wait. I think it'll be fine for one year with a kind of primered "rat rod" look.
I'm sure we'll have a chance to get it out for a test and tune session in the spring. I think it would be neat to drop the engine in and run it exactly as it is to see how many mph it runs. If we've got the chassis working right it SHOULD run about the same as the 55 Chevy. ( 10.40's most of the time ) This engine should have more power than the one in the 55 but the Pontiac's heavier. Mid tens would be great:pray but high tens would also be ok.:cool:
This engine peaks at 6,900 rpm so it'll probably want to be shifted at about 7,400 :help That's going to take some getting used to but should sound good going up the track.:cool:
It'll probably be a few weeks before I see the engine but I'll be sure to post some pictures when it gets here.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
10's with a 348....incredible...I've been fantasizing about 12's with my lil 348, might be time to recalibrate my dreams......Is there anybody out there running a quick 348 ? better yet what is considered quick for the 348 ? This is definitly going to be a fun build to follow :clap:clap:clap:clap

Tim

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just saw this article on the build as a link on the Show Cars web site. For anyone who hasn't seen the article, it is at the bottom of their Home page. http://www.show-cars.com/index.html

Who has this 348 now Jim and Jim?

Don
hrdp-0911-01-z%2bchevy-w-series-engine-build.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I believe that they still have the engine, although it came apart some time ago. I recall parts have been "redistributed" for other builds?

I'm sure they'll chime in with an update :).

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Like Tom said, the parts have been redistributed.
That engine ran great but there was a problem with the cam which caused some damage. (it ran a best time of 10.37 in the 55 Chevy)

When the cam went it took a small chip out of one of the lifter bores, so we put all the top end from the Sherman 348 on to another 476 ci 409. That engine ran a best time of 10.10 in very good conditions.

Right now I have a high compression 481 block ready to go with the crank from the Sherman engine in it. We did upgrade the rods because the bigger pistons are heavier that the ones used in the 348 stroker. This 481 will get all of the top end from the Sherman engine. This engine will have more compression and a bit more cam so I'm expecting it to run about ten seconds flat and probably break into the nines on a good day.

That last engine will be going together soon. I'm not sure but we might even bring it in and dyno it.

Here's a link to the article about the Sherman 348 stroker...
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0911-chevy-w-series-engine-build/

GasNOil

Well Known Member
Can you (or anyone else) shed a little more light on what happened to the cam? IIRC, it had an extremely small base circle.

Thank you.