A Day In The Office

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well James, today I went to the Missouri Orthopedic Institute to work on a fryer. Man comes in and says are you the Hobart guy? I said yeah, he said there's a guy with a trailer that's backed into the side of your truck and tore the tire off and it's messed up the back panel. So I went outside and they were all locked up he did a hell of a job. Went to Jiffy Lube the other day got an oil change and ask them to air up all the tires and check the spare. Guess they forgot to check the spare!:doh it's not my idea to have Jiffy Lube service the work truck.... it's Daves... while I'm sitting here waiting on him to get my tire aired up and bring a jack I'm glad I get paid by the hour. And then I'm going to take my lunch break after he gets back.:juggle the good thing is he has insurance, but I'm not sure he has a driver's license. This is the case where the father crashes the sons vehicle. LOL and so goes my day in the office today ! 20190530_110948.jpg20190530_110936.jpg20190530_111530.jpg20190530_121421.jpg

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok Iowa Guy and Tooth, I'll bite what is gap rod.:dunno I don't do gas weld. Can get it right.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Ok Iowa Guy and Tooth, I'll bite what is gap rod.:dunno I don't do gas weld. Can get it right.
Filler rod...if you are tig welding its your rod used to fill...if mig welding feed extra wire then cut it off and hold it in your none gun hand to feed into the weld pool. Use that right before where the wire from the gun is feeding so you are melting in 2x the filler material you would normally be. If its stick welding take one of your shielded rods and smack it or strike it to remove the thick flux coating. Leave the thin dusting on the rod. Then as you weld a gap feed that rod right in front of thr bead. In all cases use slightly less amps or volts and go from basemetal up to solid (or new weld area) then over to base...make the inverted U. If it starts to overheat take a break and let it cool or go to the other end to fill it. If you are able to and the gap is long enough, make fillers about every 1" apart on 1/4" and thicker of material and 1/4" apart on thinner material. Then fill those areas back and forth so it isnt just one long linear fill. Jump around like you would welding in a quarter panel.
If you have bronze, brass or copper laying around you can also use one of those to hold behind the gap. They are electrically conductive so weld material wont weld to them. So you can weld the gap or hole ALOT faster with a cleaner weld.
I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
20181130_211253.jpg20190510_190839.jpg:good SSpev Wristpin is on it. Sometimes when I have a hole the size of a pencil I will put a piece of copper behind it and fill the hole in the weld does not stick to the Copper All you have to do is grind it off smooth. You can also feed around the edges while you're welding another welding rod or a piece of wire off your MIG welder like Wrist Pin said to fill the gap. Too much heat is bad and causes warping. Feeding another piece of rod in while you're welding will help to cool it down too.You just have to be careful not to get too much material in or when you're grinding it down you can get it hot and warp it too...:juggle:happy Here is where I boxed my frame and then C Notch the bottom of it so my boot for my rack and pinion would not rub a hole in it on the frame. And I move the firewall back two inches on my truck where the distributor goes so it's easier to fit . With a welder a grinder a torch or plasma cutter and some metal you can make just about anything. just ask James about his Rock and stick he uses for fabricating:laugh2:laugh3 It Works, sometimes you have to make your special tools.:laugh

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My brother was a certified pipe fitter, he tell of welding wedges shaped for the gap and then it was welded in during the root pass. That consisted of wedged shape pieces. :weld

wristpin

Well Known Member
Ask him about spray arc welding. We've done that on pipes and structural. Wire feed speed, voltage and amperage all turned to max on a 440 welder. Serious heat. Full weld suits due to radiation. Have gotten flash burns even while wearing leathers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
His brother has flown for the likes of Jerry Jones (think "Dallas Cowboys") and Stan Kroenke (think "Walmart" and a bevy of sports teams).

Not sure how one can fly straight AND put up with those guys :).

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ask him about spray arc welding. We've done that on pipes and structural. Wire feed speed, voltage and amperage all turned to max on a 440 welder. Serious heat. Full weld suits due to radiation. Have gotten flash burns even while wearing leathers
More pics coming up soon, I got all the welding done on my firewall. Now I need to seam seal the bottom and then undercoat it. I'll post some pictures of it soon. Thanks for your interest! I always wondered why everybody wore them heavy sleeves when they were welding a few years back, when I was welding some 308 stainless and putting the tables together and polishing the weld the next day I had a sunburn like I was standing on the surface of the Sun! Been all day welding and pounding and polishing. Kind of hard to sleep at night when you got a sunburn all over your arms and your neck.:tantrum:angry2:mad5