A Long Awaited Marriage

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Had a day at the FE build, got the intake mounted rocker shafts installed and the oil pump primed.
John at Morley's gave us a tip, he said to check that all the lifters rotate when we have the valves are adjusted. So we installed the rocker shafts without the intake, marked the lifters and hand cranked the engine over several rotation and observed the lifters, all was good. :good
20191020_180618.jpg
20191020_191033.jpg
20191020_203646.jpg
All in all I thought it was good progress.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It is a different way of doing things, the intake makes up a 1/3 of the head.
The push rods go through the intake, the picture with the intake off is the testing of the lifters rotating, then I had to remove the rocker shafts and push rods, then install the intake, pushrods and rocker shafts.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
How did you go with the HS rockers in relation to the pushrod length and geometry.
My youngest son is using the HS shaft rockers and it looks like we have to lift the whole assembly up by as much as 200th to get it right.
interested in your general comment.
cheers

By the way that setup looks great

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How did you go with the HS rockers in relation to the pushrod length and geometry.
My youngest son is using the HS shaft rockers and it looks like we have to lift the whole assembly up by as much as 200th to get it right.
interested in your general comment.
cheers

By the way that setup looks great

When we initially tried the shafts they were setting to low, so we played with some normal stock thickness material but just wasn't correct.
So Nathan calls HS and they say that they have had a few calls about this problem and would send us some spacer. The spacers show up and are what look like drop off ends of a rocker shaft, so now we would have a rectangle base setting on a disk. The thickness of the spacer we needed was .300 we came up with the figure by checking the rocker arm angle at half of maximum valve lift. We were looking for a right {90} angle from the valve stem across the rocker arm to the center of the rocker shaft.
We played with washers and shims to get to the thickness then had to have some stock machined to get what I wanted for the base of the stands.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That's funny James,
Snap.
We got in touch with HS and exactly what you commented on they said to me, They gave me a bunch of spacers, ( thick washers ) I paid the freight.
I queried the round washers, and their exact comment was once it is all torqued down it want be an issue, I think a rectangular spacer would be preferred, so we will follow your path.
Just for interest, his FE is going in his 58 Ford Custom 300 Business Coupe, was originally a 6. Mike has spent the last few months cutting out rust and replacing patch panels, he's doing a good job for first time body work.
Many thanks for your input. :appl:appl:appl:appl
IMG_5972.jpg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Had a day at the FE build, got the intake mounted rocker shafts installed and the oil pump primed.
John at Morley's gave us a tip, he said to check that all the lifters rotate when we have the valves are adjusted. So we installed the rocker shafts without the intake, marked the lifters and hand cranked the engine over several rotation and observed the lifters, all was good. :good
View attachment 75510
View attachment 75511
View attachment 75512
All in all I thought it was good progress.
A dab of paint on each push rod would allow you to check lifter rotation without having to remove the intake manifold.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
At little update on this project. My bud Nathan has gone through some life altering experience as in the tone of a divorce. It has been tough for him and I understand and my family has been there for him as needed (we love this guy).
This bomb shell was dropped on him about a week before Christmas and he has been busy buying a new home and we have moving all of his belongings. Now as fate would have it his new digs is 2 miles north of my place. :good It also has a large attached garage on the house and a 40 x 40 shop in the back yard :good that also has an in ground pool. This well be a good home for him and his shared custody of the two children. :good
Now the weather has been crap for most the time lately but we got a break this week and it was on to get the Galaxie and engines moved today as well as some shop equipment.
Nathan has been more than gracious to offer space in his new shop for me to do the upgrades on the Shaker for this up coming season. :appl:appl:appl but we do need to get the new shop set up with equipment and it needs insulation and interior wall done.
A few pics of the garage loud today.
20200222_150357.jpg
20200222_150936.jpg
20200222_170629.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to hear about your buddy having to go through a divorce. I have seen it so many times and almost always it is bad, bad, bad. The lies, they are all of sudden a bad parent with drug, alcohol, cheating, you can have half of nothing etc. Not trying to make lite of the situation, however, at least he got a 40 x 40 workshop out of it :good Most of my friends lost everything, and were lucky to if they got 50 % custody of the kids most did not.