Big Day and Big Box

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yesterday was big day. Got the notice that we need to clear out the shop in town. I made one small load Friday. Had some help from Nathan and Chris to get my tool box moved home. Think I will sleep better knowing it is safe now. This was a bit of white knuckle experience to say the least.
20231022_110437.jpg
20231022_122613.jpg
20231022_144040.jpg
Making good use of my portable garage also.
20231020_131324.jpg
20231020_143519.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I personally like the hutch being a little shorter back to front than the full length ones. :good Although mine is a little smaller, ( no side or top boxes, those boxes can be a pain to move. I have moved mine 3 times. The 3rd being home 15 or 16 years ago. My brother has basically the same thing. He has moved his a lot. We do the same thing. Call a flatbed tow truck and hope its not damaged. Been lucky each time.Pulled the Body 1-7-12 011.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have the snap on box 54 inch long with matching top. I welded two angle iron ' s together facing each other and length of car trailer ramps and tacked to ramps. At the time I had a abundance of free angle iron I took off top railing I didn't like off car trailer. When I retired the guys just pushed the boxes up the track worked slick. I had it all figured out and fabricated probably a couple weeks before I picked up my tool boxes . Unloading by myself I used the winch on trailer to ease it down off trailer.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Looks like mine. Cost over $7k new although I didn't pay that cuz I'm thrifty (cheap).View attachment 132504View attachment 132505
I'm cheap too, but some call me a tight ass!!! :D Dealer gave way more for my trade in boxes double what I paid for them and had a promotion of top and bottom boxes ,but that was probably back in the 90's era. I paid 3500. I told myself that will be the last boxes I buy ,and I stuck to it except I kept my side hang on craftsman I had at home then sold top and bottom sears boxes after I retired.

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My dealer has another side locker to match my box he has tried to sell me, this thing is already to big.
If I can get my son to finish the larger door for my pantry I can move the washer and dryer upstairs and open up some wall space for this box. Things are getting a little cramped in my basement right now.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I was still working and at the time in the ninety's they had a snap on truck show up with only tool boxes in it. They had a .long top bottom combo for $10,000. I opened my mouth and said I'll give $5000.00 difference on the current boxes I have now. He said ok, I said uh, no I won't!!! :fear2

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
One of the tech's bought a I call a caboose the biggest top bottom combo at the time. Crazy. When he went to work at another dealer out of another city he had to hire a truck just for tool box to get to new location as he had no trailer.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am glad that I don't have a Snap On tool bill anymore. I have had them on and off since 1977.
There for a while back in the day we had three different brand dealers come to the shop. I did have an account with two but not anything big. It's awful easy to buy on credit and get in a bind as some guys did . Just like Christmas walking in a tool truck. Yikes.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My Snap On dealer carried the notes himself, didn't use Snap On credit. He was real easy to get along with. I did try my best to pay off my bill before I jumped back in again. He did trade fair I thought though.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My Snap On dealer carried the notes himself, didn't use Snap On credit. He was real easy to get along with. I did try my best to pay off my bill before I jumped back in again. He did trade fair I thought though.
I am pretty sure my dealer did also. The older dealer who had been for years wouldn't warranty much of anything . When the new dealer came in it was night and day difference. He would repair ratchet wrenches on the spot under warranty. Really hated when he got out of it, he had family problems.

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Snap On dealer was really cool also. Actually a real good guy. That's how I got a great deal. I will say this though ( probably going to get it for saying ) But, the top of the line Matco boxes are better. I have had Snap On, Mac, and Matco boxes. I really think the Top line Matco boxes are built better. The reason I didn't buy one was the Matco dealer was a jerk and would not work with me. Maybe because I am cheap.. ...... :dunno

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My Snap On dealer was really cool also. Actually a real good guy. That's how I got a great deal. I will say this though ( probably going to get it for saying ) But, the top of the line Matco boxes are better. I have had Snap On, Mac, and Matco boxes. I really think the Top line Matco boxes are built better. The reason I didn't buy one was the Matco dealer was a jerk and would not work with me. Maybe because I am cheap.. ...... :dunno
I had to have my bottom drawer guides on top box full length replaced several times. The new dealer said I had too much weight in there. All my sockets in there. He said he would replace once more only. He was probably right but since it's not used daily ,it's not a issue now. I think some other boxes have double guides. I have seen on shows where they can stand in the drawers. There might be better as you say.