Big Day and Big Box

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Years ago, when I paid my house off early, and was working for the City of Los Angeles Dept. of General Services in their vehicle fleet shop, I decided I wanted a truly decent tool box for work. I got a KRL 656 and 651 top and bottom on sale, and added a 291 side box. Nice setup for what I had, In the subsequent years, it got quite full of nothing but Snap On tools. I bought a side by side box with two rows of drawers and the long top drawer that was of the same vintage and took it home and filled it with Snap On stuff as well and engine building tools, trans tools, and rear end set up stuff. I also bought the wall mounted puller set with the two front doors with the windows in them. It is bolted to the garage wall above the side by side, and then I decided that I was tired of taking stuff home from work and having to bring it back every time I wanted to do something else on a weekend, so I bought another KRL 656,651 and 291 set on a rather drastic sale since they were discontinuing that threesome. I also filled them with duplicates of my work tools, so now I have 2 of almost everything I worked with. When I retired and brought the work set home, I unbolted the top and bottom boxes and used a shop fork lift to load the three boxes separately into my truck,using thick cardboard, moving blankets, and ratcheting strap type tie downs from my car trailer to keep the load tight for the 30 mile ride home. I used my cherry picker to unload the truck and set it up.One side of my garage is solid tool boxes from the back wall to my safe which was bolted to the floor when the safe was delivered. Turns out that I had 1/2" to spare between the back wall of the garage and the safe.Took some strategic maneuvering to get this stuff in the garage,but it makes for a rather impressive tool wall on the one side of the garage. I just got into the habit of paying the Snap truck guy $100 a week for as long as it took, and my last weekly payment on the tool account was made about six weeks before I retired. The 651-656 top and bottom combo is about as tall as I am.I used to tell people that if your toolbox isn't as tall as you are, you're not really serious.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
is your lift going to be exposed to the elements…….?…….. I know that you have that building that you purchased is the building going to be in line with the garage…….?

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Years ago, when I paid my house off early, and was working for the City of Los Angeles Dept. of General Services in their vehicle fleet shop, I decided I wanted a truly decent tool box for work. I got a KRL 656 and 651 top and bottom on sale, and added a 291 side box. Nice setup for what I had, In the subsequent years, it got quite full of nothing but Snap On tools. I bought a side by side box with two rows of drawers and the long top drawer that was of the same vintage and took it home and filled it with Snap On stuff as well and engine building tools, trans tools, and rear end set up stuff. I also bought the wall mounted puller set with the two front doors with the windows in them. It is bolted to the garage wall above the side by side, and then I decided that I was tired of taking stuff home from work and having to bring it back every time I wanted to do something else on a weekend, so I bought another KRL 656,651 and 291 set on a rather drastic sale since they were discontinuing that threesome. I also filled them with duplicates of my work tools, so now I have 2 of almost everything I worked with. When I retired and brought the work set home, I unbolted the top and bottom boxes and used a shop fork lift to load the three boxes separately into my truck,using thick cardboard, moving blankets, and ratcheting strap type tie downs from my car trailer to keep the load tight for the 30 mile ride home. I used my cherry picker to unload the truck and set it up.One side of my garage is solid tool boxes from the back wall to my safe which was bolted to the floor when the safe was delivered. Turns out that I had 1/2" to spare between the back wall of the garage and the safe.Took some strategic maneuvering to get this stuff in the garage,but it makes for a rather impressive tool wall on the one side of the garage. I just got into the habit of paying the Snap truck guy $100 a week for as long as it took, and my last weekly payment on the tool account was made about six weeks before I retired. The 651-656 top and bottom combo is about as tall as I am.I used to tell people that if your toolbox isn't as tall as you are, you're not really serious.
Wow....when I had the business we used black hawk tools at all my locations. We made sure not to tell the equipment.... :flag

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
One of the things I don't do is let very many people out into the garage or behind my gate next to the house. All I don't need is some big mouth blabbing what all l have back there that they don't need to see. If they don't see it, they can't borrow it, they can't tell everybody that they know what is in my garage, and it just seems a lot better that way. Too bad we sometimes have to be that way.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a place I called the "RAT FARM" until a couple years ago. You can read between the lines what it involved. Between blocks, completes & what was in vehicles I was 50+ count. Not counting SMBC, FE Ford and others and related parts & pieces. I DID not give tours or talk about it! I once had a dream that it had been broken into. I got up, put clothes on and went to check on it at dark 30 in the morning. All was well,
Jeff

Jeff

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was really young probably about 6 years old my dad and a friend had 40 plus cars out at his farm place. After enough time people learned about them and then a lot of parts just started to disappear so he paid the local scrap yard to come out with their mobile crusher and they crushed all of them except the 62 I own, a 65 gmc pickup, a 67 Chevy pickup, and a 68 Chevy pickup.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was really young probably about 6 years old my dad and a friend had 40 plus cars out at his farm place. After enough time people learned about them and then a lot of parts just started to disappear so he paid the local scrap yard to come out with their mobile crusher and they crushed all of them except the 62 I own, a 65 gmc pickup, a 67 Chevy pickup, and a 68 Chevy pickup.
Your still "really" young compared to some of us! :):):)
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe a “little” younger Jeff. But I have witnessed enough of the guys here to know not many act their age! And that is a good thing!
One acting one's age is entirely optional, it & God gives us the zest to conquer another day. Feeling your age is a different subject.
And being wise enough to recognize the difference between the 2 and how channel that accordingly is the trick!
Jeff

Last edited: