Big Mistake

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just purchased a 62 Impala that was listed on EBay, it did not reach its reserve so I negociated a price off line. The seller presented enough pictures and info that I felt allowed me to make an informed decession. I received the car a couple of days ago and it appears that the seller used a filtered camera lens that hid any flaws. In addition the seller represented the car as having very low miles and a 327, 300 HP motor and the original power guide. After checking the numbers I found the block was from a 1975 truck and the trans was a 350.
It has all the SS trim but the only code I could find that represents a SS is the trim code, (385-Red Bucket Seats SS) it also has EF as an acc code. ?

I paid #1 price for this car and its a #3, I accept the the fact that it was a very expensive mistake and Ive been around long enough to know better.

I want to weight my options ( if I have any) before I contact the seller. I'm sure I could hire a lawyer and with the documents I have win the case but that would cost me as much as I've lost. Please let me know your thoughts......
AZ409

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I'm sorry to hear you were taken for a ride. Buyer beware comes to mind. I never buy without looking at in person. Ever. Try contacting the seller and nicely confront him with the discrepencies. Most cars are mis-represented in one form or another. Either on purpose or plane ignorance. Hope it turns out well.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
MRHP said:
I'm sorry to hear you were taken for a ride. Buyer beware comes to mind. I never buy without looking at in person. Ever. Try contacting the seller and nicely confront him with the discrepencies. Most cars are mis-represented in one form or another. Either on purpose or plane ignorance. Hope it turns out well.

Not much more to say then that, although it is too bad these guys are out there.

How far from where you live did the seller live?

Maybe we should start up a buyers service and have members from around the country check these cars out for the buyers at a justified fee????,, dq

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks dg,

The car was 2000 miles from here, that's why I didn't fly out to take a look. I think a net of members throughout the U.S. would be a great ideal. The least we could do is take real pictures and check #s.
I did send a polite E-Mail asking for a refund in the value difference of the motor as MRHP suggested. LG409

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would go look at cars or parts for anyone on this site as long as it was not too far. I have driven to the bottom of Missouri, Illinois, and all points in between until I came across my 62 in Vegas. Spent many thousand dollars on wild goose chases. I had plenty of pictures, talked to the seller and even had delt with muscle car dealers. The cars were never in the condition they told me. Not even close! When I go see a misrepresented car I am very up front and blunt with the seller. Almost rude. Why lie to someone to get them to buy your car. B.S. Hope it works out. Brian

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
that is one fine idea that dq has, we can take pic's numbers and the folks in the know will tell if it for real or not. great thinking

i'll cover florida

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Count me in......I've retired twice and I now work part time at "Impala Bobs" to keep me busy. But not today, its 112 degrees in the shade. Az is rust free but damn it gets hot. AZ409:doh

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
Sorry ,to ear that ,same thing happen to me , well i did not pay that much for the car if i can say that ,$2100.US ,it was a project car, i should ad know better when the car did not sale ,but from the picture the seller send me it look very good , but whe i got the car it was another story, first i contact the seller ,talk to him gently , did not work, after try to be agressif, not a good thing, contact ebay ,pay for one of the ebay lawyer, to contact the seller to work thing over for me , wait,wait,wait, 1 week 2 week 3weeks ,after a month got a email from the ebay lawyer that said that there was nothing he could do and said good luck,it sucks ,it seem the only thing i could do is leave a bad feedback ,the only one i ever leave .
But if You have pay a big price for the car i hope there is something you can do ,i know me i try everything from here in canada , with no result, if your in the US , maybe it will be different.
I hope thing work better for You.
60biscayne409

Rich64SS

Well Known Member
No409 said:
ill help in the mass, ri, ct area if anyone needs my services

I'd watch out for this guy.:brow Every time I stop by his shop, he or his father have just bought something that I wish I had found.:bow

J/K.... Tom knows his stuff.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
AZ409 said:
Count me in......I've retired twice and I now work part time at "Impala Bobs" to keep me busy. But not today, its 112 degrees in the shade. Az is rust free but damn it gets hot. AZ409:doh

Hey AZ 409

If you are Larry Grier, then you are a decent guy! Thanks for helping me out of that jam with my heat riser a month or so ago... I got it just in time !!!! Everything worked out great!!!!! :bow

S0RRY to hear that you got screwed so bad...
Happened to me once in my life when I bough a '57 car from Chicago Car Exchange (Now known as Chicago Classic Cars) many years ago. Not a darn thing that I could do about it... Lost my azz on it. NEVER did that again...

eBay has done wonders for our hobby, but it also makes selling by unscrupulous sellers that much easier. In fact, I often wonder how many "used tools" on eBay are actually stolen property :scratch

Rock :cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rockfish39 said:
eBay has done wonders for our hobby, but it also makes selling by unscrupulous sellers that much easier. In fact, I often wonder how many "used tools" on eBay are actually stolen property :scratch

Rock :cool:

If the tools are from the Portland area chances are they are red hot !!

Our meth problem here is out of control and the cops don`t do their job of monitoring the hock shops.
The FBI had to come in and tell Portland to get it under control as thieves from all over the west knew that Portland was the place to fence stolen ggods.

We had a piece on TV that showed back rooms of some of the hock shops with stacks of NEW goods shoplifted from stores from around the west coast !!
One shop had stacks of new chain saws and other high dollar goods stacked to the ceiling and had an Ebay store.

Tons of used goods also,,, Buyer beware,,,dq:cuss

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Another eBay Deal

I checked a car for a out of state friend who was about to send an eBay seller (thief) a large wad of cash for a Calif. 60 Impala Convert. . He called me just to see if I thought it was a good deal. The car looked decent in the photos and I offered to drive a few towns away and take a look at it before he forked over the cash.

Here are some underside photos I sent back to my friend. Total rust bucket! Frame was gone. Not even safe to drive. You can see in the photos pistol tagetes covering the floor pans.

The seller was surprised to see me and came right out an told me he was hoping to find a out of state buyer to just ship it to. Told me he was the victim of some guy in Mich buying it without seeing it and now was hoping someone else would do the same for him. He was hoping to recover his loss.

The car went back up for sale on eBay a week later and I watched another victim get stuck by this guy.

Anytime, anyone needs a car checked in Northern Calif, PM me.

Attachments

• 60CHevyRust-3.jpg
    60CHevyRust-3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 60CHevy rust-2.jpg
    60CHevy rust-2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 60CHevyrust.jpg
    60CHevyrust.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 169

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
inspection

I could look at something/assist in or around Vancouver, B.C. if needed. This is a great idea, lets keep it going !!

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What started out as just a smartass`s idea has turned into a great idea!:brow

Maybe we should formulate a list of members showing the city/state/area that have members that are willing to do this.

ie: dq - Portland OR area

I know that as a member of A.B.A.T.E. (a motorcycle Org.) they have a list and location of members that will rescue you on the road and provide gas, hauling, tools, lodging etc.

We could start the same thing for doing auto inspections for our members.
You never know, this could be contagious and spread to other auto related sites !!,,dq