Bill Burge car

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, as promised I have some pictures, with more to follow. These were taken in around 1993-1994 I think. The car at one time even had a set of aluminum Z11 heads that today are about 10 miles from my house collecting dust. The heads were cast sometime around late 89-91 I beleive. More pics to follow

Kevin (Quik9r)

Attachments

• overall car.jpg
    overall car.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 276
  • engine in car.jpg
    engine in car.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 318
  • cowl intake.jpg
    cowl intake.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 216
  • air cleaner.jpg
    air cleaner.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 249
  • battery Tray.jpg
    battery Tray.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 269

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Kevin, I remember when Mark Kuykendall owned that car back in 1991. He tried to drag race it once and had a fuel leak, that led to a minor fire on the top end of the track after his one and only run. I was working at Lamar's when he was working on the engine for Bill's Funny Car project. Bill wanted to build a 1963 alcohol burning, 409 powered NHRA legal Funny Car. I think that was the reason he sold the Z-11. I also believe that the program ran out of steam (and money). I wonder if he ever got the car done? Phil, how 'bout it? Jeremy

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The car came up to Canada after Mark, was raced a bit but could never really turned the number to be competitve at the time. The car was then taken apart and cleaned up and sold.

Kevin

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I always wondered where that car went.:scratch

Bill came to a couple of our Norwalk get togethers. His 63 was long gone by then, he had an early Stingray. He wrote a really good book about life during the early 60's. If you do a search for Burge I think you can find some posts.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bill gave me this big postcard.
we had a good time together at Norwalk. i took him down the 1/4 and even let him drive my red car. i have pics of that, but we have already seen them.

I cannot recall what he told me about this project anymore?

Attachments

• wild bill 2%.jpg
    wild bill 2%.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 126
  • wild bill 3%.jpg
    wild bill 3%.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 158

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I always wondered where that car went.:scratch

Bill came to a couple of our Norwalk get togethers. His 63 was long gone by then, he had an early Stingray. He wrote a really good book about life during the early 60's. If you do a search for Burge I think you can find some posts.

Jim that car was just north of Shelburne before it was Sold at BJ in 1994-95. :dunno
Nasty1 rebuilt the Z-11 motor and I have some photos I will post later.

Kevin

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
More pictures of Z11 engine pieces.

Attachments

• engine pad.jpg
    engine pad.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 180
  • engine top.jpg
    engine top.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 182
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 152
  • head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 178
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 212

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
More engine, plus 1 of the 2 ford lighweights that were also in the same shed.

Attachments

• intake top 2.jpg
    intake top 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 151
  • two piece intake.jpg
    two piece intake.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 167
  • valley cover.jpg
    valley cover.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 130
  • intake top.jpg
    intake top.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 157
  • ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 215

NASTY 409

Banned
Your bringing back old memories quik9r, when I tore that poor old Z11 down for rebuild ( an engine that was built by the KING of 409's :bow"LM":bow) what a joke:rolleyes:, the pistons had been flycut so much they cut clear thru the piston domes:doh and to repair the resulting holes they welded them up on the underside:eek:Also the pistons came out of the bores so far above the deck that both cylinder heads were cracked from the collision:eek:The intake manifold gaskets were made from cereal box cardboard , and huge gobs of blue silicone. The engine was a complete nightmare , it made me sick to see such a rare engine treated that way:barf I could go on but I won't.

blown 409

Well Known Member
promod /funny car 63

was that car ever built? there was one like it on e-bay in 2000 somthing, never sold there, but looks alot like the car from down south that was on Muscle car think it was owned by the guy from cars for kids??

Attachments

• 1169090779.jpg
    1169090779.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 1170645771.jpg
    1170645771.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 184

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
'63 funny car

This is the funny car I started around 1991 but never did get finished. Lamar built me a twenty-plus grand all aluminum except the block 482 blower motor which sat in my garage and later under a plexiglass case in my daughters restaurant for years. Finally sold it for half it's worth and never saw the engine again. Still have all the pictures of the car's build-up.

Wild Bill

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Z-11 engine innards

Guys.. What a story about the inside of this old warrior! First, my only loss when I owned the car was by Bill Blair's original '63 Ramcharger Dodge at Atco, NJ. "The Living Legend" ran 11's with the 4-speed and 10:80's with an ATI Turbo. Have most of the timeslips. I always used original "Mr. Gasket" Z-11 intake gaskets and still have a few sets left. Yes, the car did have a set of L.W. aluminum heads after I sold it. The original Z-11 heads and intake had casting dates of Oct '62 and were originally owned by Dick Harrell.

Writing a new drag racing book of my growing-up years and have many pictures. Wonder where the "Heart of Darkness" is now? Wild Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, We can't get enough of your stories. Any pictures and build facts aboout your cars would be greatly appreciated. After reading your first book, I am really looking forward to the next one. Please keep us posted. Thanks again,,:):) I know you have heard this a thousand times before but I also had a Sears Allstate moped and paper route to pay for it. Ahhh, to be young again......

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill .... Welcome to the zoo..... and like Ronnie said !!!! :clap:clap we'd all like to hear stories & specs !!!

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I also had a Sears Allstate moped and paper route to pay for it. Ahhh, to be young again......

Ronnie.... for some reason I just can't get the picture in my mind of you on a moped :dunno:dunno ...... was it Roman Red ????? :roll:roll:roll:roll

Dave

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys.. What a story about the inside of this old warrior! First, my only loss when I owned the car was by Bill Blair's original '63 Ramcharger Dodge at Atco, NJ. "The Living Legend" ran 11's with the 4-speed and 10:80's with an ATI Turbo. Have most of the timeslips. I always used original "Mr. Gasket" Z-11 intake gaskets and still have a few sets left. Yes, the car did have a set of L.W. aluminum heads after I sold it. The original Z-11 heads and intake had casting dates of Oct '62 and were originally owned by Dick Harrell.

Writing a new drag racing book of my growing-up years and have many pictures. Wonder where the "Heart of Darkness" is now? Wild Bill

The heat of darkness is that the car I posted pictures of? if so it went west coast, the aluminum heads are in Ontario Canada near me:) and the 12 bolt rear will be going into a 62 bubbletop this winter that should end up at Thompson Raceway this year!!

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
old posts

How do I look up a post from say,,, 15 days or more, maybe 30 days:dunno Mike

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Kevin

Would that be a 62 409 Bubbletop now located in Jordan, Ontario??

Ron