Bill Burge car

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
This is the funny car I started around 1991 but never did get finished. Lamar built me a twenty-plus grand all aluminum except the block 482 blower motor which sat in my garage and later under a plexiglass case in my daughters restaurant for years. Finally sold it for half it's worth and never saw the engine again. Still have all the pictures of the car's build-up.

Post 'em!! I'd love to see them!

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Never know for sure where I'm supose to write something?? Anyway, Hank Galbart called me this a.m. to say the Living legend was bought at the Barrett Jackson auction a few years a by a Kale Irwin fropm Chattanooga, TN but later he sold it. Also, Hank's taking his Z-11 car to the Palm Beach, FL auction March 18th, but with a reserve. Has a '63 hardtop that might become a replica Z-11 racer?

Hank has been chosen to Judge and gather a group of ten nostaliga A/FX cars for the Middlebrook, MI annual Concours car show. "Good Ole Mr. Wilson's" car won the very, prestigous blue ribbon at last year's show. Had a nice talk ans shifted a few gears! Wild Bill

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
The 10-bolt Chevy rear end that was in the Living legend when I sold it had 456 gears and an ATI Turbo 400. If an ATI trans. is with the other parts it would be the the one I bought at Jegs and used one season. Lamar at one time had the homemade intake and sideways Holly 660's that were on the car the last summer I raced it. The aluminum hood with 80's looking hood scoop burnt up in a suspicous shop fire??? Luckly the other hood was at my house. Just remembered I sold a really nasty aluminum hood to ole Scott Cronwell from MI years ago. Anyone know of his where-a-bouts? He had a Z-11 car that was under construction.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Bill,

Long time no see Buddy.

the rest of the guys here know about the car i race now. I recall telling you about it. that i was building a Z11 look-a-like to race. here it is. oh and this one of you and I going down the 1/4 at Norwalk may bring back some memories.

DSC_5234.jpg

wildbill640x480.jpg

Attachments

• 63 norwalk 50%.jpg
    63 norwalk 50%.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 85

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Great looking drag car! Yes, I remember talking and driving your '63 at Norwalk and siging my name on your air cleaner next to Miss Linda Vaughn! Thompson dragway is about 1 hour from our summer cottage so might check you guys out this June?? I still attend the Summit Nationals in Norwalk each summer with my son-in-law. Thanks for posting a picture of my old Z-11 taken at Milan, Mi around 1989 where it ran a 10:87 @ 126 beating the host Ford club's fastest T-Bolt in the final!
I was not invited back.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
12 bolt

As promised the pictures of the 12 bolt out of the bill burge car, mach up went with out an issue, heading for powder coating in about 3 weeks.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5421.JPG
    IMG_5421.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 212

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
[UOTE=quik9r;138444]As promised the pictures of the 12 bolt out of the bill burge car, mach up went with out an issue, heading for powder coating in about 3 weeks.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

What memories that old 12 Bolt brings back. Never had one problem. Have pictures of guys on their knees trying to see what was going on under there. Funny how many of my old parts are scathered all over this site! Remember, gotta use a one piece drivshaft a tad of that X-frame will have to be cut out. Trimmed the leading edge of the fenderwell to clear the 10 inch tires. Did you get the ATI? I probably have reciepts back in Ohio for some of those items. Come to think of it I have a picture of me installing that rear end in my garage.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is the tranny that came out of the car, not many passes. Trans brake and small converter. I think even most of the guages, dist. ,tires and crank trigger? are still in the corner of the shop that took the car apart. The frame has been modified for the one piece shaft and the tires will be slighty smaller so fit will not be an issue.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 129

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Hank Gabbert's car is the real mcoy......Z-11 not a replica...
(" Z-11" gets used usely by some)

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"As promised the pictures of the 12 bolt out of the bill burge car, mach up went with out an issue, heading for powder coating in about 3 weeks."

Kevin,

Very nice setup! :bow
Need more info please.

Looking to do the same thing with a Dana 60.

Are the brackets for the upper arms ladder bar brackets flipped up?

What are the upper arms made of? Rod ends that you are using?

Details about the track locator/panhard bar.
Where are the ends welded to?

Thank you,

Mike

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
This is the tranny that came out of the car, not many passes. Trans brake and small converter. I think even most of the guages, dist. ,tires and crank trigger? are still in the corner of the shop that took the car apart. The frame has been modified for the one piece shaft and the tires will be slighty smaller so fit will not be an issue.

Kevin

Did you get the transmission cooler? I used my wife's 380 SL trunk to bring the tranny home from Jegs cause my dually was gettin' striped up. I'll bring whatever recipts I still have to Thompson in June. I certainly don't need them. Can I drive your car?

Wild Bill

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"As promised the pictures of the 12 bolt out of the bill burge car, mach up went with out an issue, heading for powder coating in about 3 weeks."

Kevin,

Very nice setup! :bow
Need more info please.

Looking to do the same thing with a Dana 60.

Are the brackets for the upper arms ladder bar brackets flipped up?

What are the upper arms made of? Rod ends that you are using?

Details about the track locator/panhard bar.
Where are the ends welded to?

Thank you,

Mike

I will get more pictures if you like, the set up was bolted in and has not been touched since 1991-93? This car is being built by Len Woodrow who attended Thompson last year with his black 62 and has got the race bug again after 25 years. I am the "parts guy" :deal and the pusher :) I think Bill Burge could chime in more on the actual construction I would be only guessing.

Kevin

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I will get more pictures if you like, the set up was bolted in and has not been touched since 1991-93? This car is being built by Len Woodrow who attended Thompson last year with his black 62 and has got the race bug again after 25 years. I am the "parts guy" :deal and the pusher :) I think Bill Burge could chime in more on the actual construction I would be only guessing.

Kevin

Kevin Thank you for your reply.

Bill can you supply some details on the construction and setup?

Thanks,
Mike

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie.... for some reason I just can't get the picture in my mind of you on a moped :dunno:dunno ...... was it Roman Red ????? :roll:roll:roll:roll

Dave

Great Dave, Now I have that etched in my mind. Maybe he still has it and can ride to thompson with Phil. OMG :crazy

Ray

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Kevin Thank you for your reply.

Bill can you supply some details on the construction and setup?

Thanks,
Mike

The top tubes are chrome molly with heim joints welded to each end. Bottom control arms were welded with a plate and the track bar was, I think, chrome molly with the same kind of joints. I think the frame brackets were installed the factory way. Kinda forget. The bars adjusted the rear end at an angle to have lift at the front door, like the old long traction bars. Anyway, whoever comes to Thompson in June that's involved with this project, I'll turn over whatever pictures or paperwork I have to them. All the parts came from Jegs as I lived in Columbus, OH at the time. Get that Bubbletop running cause I want to drive it!

Wild Bill

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The top tubes are chrome molly with heim joints welded to each end. Bottom control arms were welded with a plate and the track bar was, I think, chrome molly with the same kind of joints. I think the frame brackets were installed the factory way. Kinda forget. The bars adjusted the rear end at an angle to have lift at the front door, like the old long traction bars. Anyway, whoever comes to Thompson in June that's involved with this project, I'll turn over whatever pictures or paperwork I have to them. All the parts came from Jegs as I lived in Columbus, OH at the time. Get that Bubbletop running cause I want to drive it!

Wild Bill

Wild bill,

Thank you for sharing that info :bow

Mike

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Guys...On Feb !st my Meicare card kicked in and a pain in my gut, like when you lose in the final my inches or by a Ford. Off the the ER to spend, and still spending nights to recope from an 8 inch section that was removed from my large intestine. Big ole single lane track from the pubs to above the belly button. Ain't pretty but I'm breathing to tell another story. Or, as Jesse James says, "I'll live to die another day."

Wild Bill

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill, hope you are doing fine! I took these pictures today and hopefully this will give you something to think about and distract you. We want to know the pupose of the washers/shims welded to the brackets? The last picture will show the brackets final position as it would be installed in the car. Any thoughts ?

Kevin Quik9r

Attachments

• IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5574.JPG
    IMG_5574.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5577.JPG
    IMG_5577.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 93

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Dang Bill! Hope things are ok with you! Keep us informed as to your progress when you feel inclined to tap the keyboard!

Tom