Blue smoke

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My thinking, it would be real hard for it to suck oil from the filler tube.
Could it be oil from filling the engine with oil. :dunno2

427John

Well Known Member
but it wont suck oil from fill tube area ? when i got car i checked the pcv valve and it was full of oil and was connected to oil fill tube
If the factory oil fill tubes are like some small block tubes they have a series of tongue shaped baffles in them angled downward that allows oil to flow easily downward.If a small block tube will fit in the manifold you could get 1 of the late small journal closed ventilation oil fill tubes some of them had a threaded fitting in the side,but I can't remember if it was for the pcv valve or if it was for the fresh air supply.They also have a handy throttle return spring bracket welded to them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It was pcv,John,at least on the 66 l-79 [350/327]engines.I believe that one of those would work just fine in a W intake manifold.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
ok so where does hose from road draft tube go to in air filter any pic,s ? ive pulled my breather and have had oil on bottom ?

Victorniner

Well Known Member
so can i use carb cleaner to start cleaning up some of the oil? i will try to get a pic but it looks like someone dumped a pint of oil inside manifold and it then spread down all cylinders

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On the ones for the oil filler tube the threaded end went to the oil filler tube and the non threaded end plumbed to the carb.There was one that threaded to the carb but that's a different valve.Which valve do you have?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
ok so where does hose from road draft tube go to in air filter any pic,s ? ive pulled my breather and have had oil on bottom ?
Some air cleaner bases do not have a tube to connect a hose to. If you add one, it has to be in the base inside of the filter diameter so it will get filtered air.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The PCV valve that is correct on the oil filler tube under the filler cap, like a '66-67 327, would have air flowing through the filler tube, the valve, a neoprene hose, then to the vacuum source at the base of the carb. The end of the valve with the threads is the air intake, the end with the PCV neoprene hose would be the vacuum end. If you put this valve into the base of the carb or to a vacuum fitting on the intake, it would be backward. Engine vacuum would close the PCV valve with the engine running, and the engine would vent through the PCV line out the rear of the intake into the air filter. That would result in internal engine pressure in the pan and valve covers and oil would find its way into the air filter housing, go down the carbs, and burn with the intake mix. It would be real easy to get the wrong valve in the wrong place and have it do this. Also be sure the stamped steel valley pan is properly installed on the bottom of the intake. That is a baffle to keep hot engine oil from the camshaft from being slung up and on the bottom of the intake. Another thing, the two bolts that hold the ignition coil bracket onto the top of the manifold, one of them is an open hole that goes through to the lifter valley. Oil can blow out that hole and leak onto the ground or garage floor without really being obvious where it came from. Be sure there is a 5/16#NC bolt in both those holes, even if you have a firewall mounted coil.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Note: Carmine is correct...PCVs come in 2 general configurations. Essentially the check will allow flow in or out but not both. My PCV is screwed into the oil fill tube just below a non vented cap. A heavy rubber hose (from the PVC) goes to the back of the front carb. Outside air is drawn in from the back of the manifold threw a Harley Davidson breather.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Don it threads into a brass fitting that came with kit hope these pic,s come thru views into manifold and oil fill thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 41

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
K,Here's an idea,get a piece of steel wool and insert it in the fill tube below the opening for the pcv valve.This will allow the engine to breath but will form a collection point to capture the oil that's in the fumes and allow it to drain back down.The other option would be to locate one of the factory fill tubes that has the baffle that Greg mentioned.Make sure to vent the back side of the manifold in some fashion.I like Genes[El Rat]s solution myself.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Did you get a chance to that a look through the rear intake vent hole?
With the bore scope if small enough, you only need to take the PCV out to see the push rods if the baffle is not installed.