Butch Schultz 61' Fleetmaster 409 4-speed

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sent my forms and money in today and talked to Scott for the ISCA Boise Idaho Roadster show. Looks as if we are in. The show runs for 4 days starting the 6th of March and runs through the 7th, 8th,& 9th. If any of you are around in that area give me a call. Like meeting the 409'ers. # 541-571-8182. I believe there is a family day the first day.. Hope to see at least a couple of you that are out there. Butch

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We were excepted, all loaded up and the mountain is in good shape so anyone around Boise look us up. Show start Thursday and runs till Sunday.. Never been to it but it looks and sounds like it should be fun..Butch

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We are back from Boise. We will be in the Yakima car show this week-end at the Yakima Convention Center. Phone number above if any one is around. Be fun chatting.. Butch

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Pat. Yeah we got first. Luck is holding out I guess. We got marked down for they seen some dust on the cross member though. At the grand nationals last year they got us for dust on the top of the bell housing. I spent hours under there this time and even had the wife under there for a quite a while and the judges take a 5 second look and see dust.. We need better glasses I guess. Other wise things are going great. Feet hit the ground first this morning. Are you going to the swap meet? Butch

Dusten

Ever do a Google search for something and get a blast from the past? man I remember sitting in this car almost 30 years ago at my dads shop. good to see you still have it butch. My old man still has a picture of it on his wall in the garage.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow.. What a surprise. It has been a long time.Glad to see you over here. We need to get together one of these days. We are in Spokane today but will be back soon. I will see how I can get a hold of you. Love to talk about the old times but you were pretty young. You have to be proud how your dad could make motors run, drag or circle. A real genius. Catch up with you soon. Butch

Dusten

So I was going through dads shop and found this picture framed. Thought you might like it.
1558582_10152388389291138_1550756321927302929_n.jpg

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Dusten. Thanks for posting the picture and thanks everyone for the comments. I have to say the picture kind of blew me away for I did not know there were anymore out there but the big thing was I was not use to seeing this car because actually this car does not exist anymore. When we seen it sitting in the garage for so long & after we were pretty much done racing it (25 years of nothing but just sitting) we decided it was time to restore it. It was about the time (2008)we were getting to meet all the previous owners for the first time & one thing lead to another as there was more & more history coming out of the wood work via of Glenn and all the previous owners . Well to make a couple years story short and after some serious discussions with the wife and our 3 kids I made the decision to restore it back to the 60's Winter's winner era & not as a AHRA 80's World finals winner.. The car is an early 60's race car ordered from the factory just for that purpose not as a 70's,80,90's racer as seen in the picture with a cross ram, wrinkles, Centerline wheels & etc. So 32 years of our history of the car as we and you Dusten always knew it, was erased completely. All we have now is these pictures. It meant a lot to us to see it. Wife and kids fought me on dating it back for that was the way they always wanted to remember the car was the way we raced it. Well after seeing the car for more than 1/3 of a century as seen in your picture I can no longer walk out to the garage & see our old car . The picture shocked me for I had never seen this picture before, had no idea Tim had it ( especially framed) and WOW there is my car I use to have. Anyway I am still glad we restored it the way it sits today and so grateful for Glenn, his son Mickey and our son Chad for all the hard and great work they put into the ole the 9 iron and all the help from Phil and Dan & lot of others here on this site for I still feel this is the way it should rest for that is what the car is. Thanks again Dusten. LOVE the picture. The hot rod will be sitting in the World of Speed Museum next year when it opens in Wilsonville Oregon. And Phil if you are here reading this we are still trying to figure how to get it back to your event. I know I cannot make it for another commitment but I have offered the RV,car and trailer to Glenn, Mickey & family. I know they are really wanting to go so hopefully they can make it. And Dusten your dad is the best at making this ole girl sing. I will never forget all the times we spent together.I will call you today... Butch

Dusten

Butch, after I get things settled at the house I have that picture and I have one that's poster sized. I will get them both in new frames and you can have them. I know dad sure loved that car.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a question for the more experienced 409'ers. I seen on Craig,s list (Los Angeles area
Jul 151961 - 409 HEADS & INTAKE* SUPER RARE) a set of heads for a 1961 409 with the casting numbers 3795586 which I always thought was right and that is what we have on our car. But the casting date threw me off with a date of L 20 61 which if I read right is Dec 20th of 61. Isn't that past the date that they were making those heads. Weren't they producing the 62 3814881 then. The numbers and dates on our car is 3795586 but a date of C (cannot remember the day) but of 61.. What am I missing on that L-20 date? Also they had a manifold with those heads 3797776 and not the 3767579 like I thought it should be but I have been told that there were some 3767776's that came on the 61's from the factory. Can any one answer this for me? Thanks.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Butch,
They were still casting them for service.
Anybody with a warranty issue or otherwise needing new replacement heads for their 61 would be able to get them from the dealer in 62 and for sometime after. So far, Dec 61 is the latest date I have seen on them but the 1147's were also still being cast for 60 and 61 service as late as Dec 62 also.
the 340 and 350 hp 348's in 61 used the 586 castings but with 5/16 pushrod holes and different springs than the 586 heads on the 409 which were 3/8 pushrods.