Cars

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Pat....any idea where this picture was taken and who is with Hayden??

Yep, that’s Bill Thomas beside him and that photo was taken at the ‘62 Nationals at Indy.
Two major points to be made, First that’s where he won that fantastic trophy and Second he had just beat the Ramchargers for the final win, and legand has it he gave them the middle finger salute as he crossed the finish line!:) :) :) :)

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You can see water on the pavement under the car. This is the race that Chevy wanted to win in the worst way.
Hayden was paid by Chevy to race that year.

He told me he raced on weekends and all week he was at Lions during the week to test the red car. He wrote down weather conditions, heat, humidity, tire pressures, metering rods, jets, etc. He kept all his notes in this little notebook.
When he arrived at Indy the weather was changing. After several rounds leading up to the last race he told me clouds came in, temps dropped, humidity went up. Before the last race, he took out his notebook, flipped through the pages, figured out what he needed to change, went to work.
He said he was confident of his notes, lights came down, they were side by side until he hit 3rd and pulled away and the same in 4th.
Then the salute!
I think the salute has been captured in photos:):):)

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
53034603_2228287463900618_4184140170347413504_n.jpg

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dads 50th birthday present 27 years ago got to take him a ride in early October. He hadn’t been in it for a couple years. He put about 5000 miles on it. So glad we went out and spun some tires. His smile was priceless and I’ll never forget it. Sorry for the rambling E781A96C-1A21-4406-903F-AFD75DFB1195.jpeg

Last edited:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Not 60 series or 1 tons, most likely 327's. The 64 C60 could have had a 348.
You are so correct Mearle. My 64 C=30 had a 327/300 from my nephew's 67 Impala that he totaled .I was so glad he "Donated "the wreck to his "FAVORITE" Uncle. I was getting so tired of flat towing to the tracks. I bought that truck in Bel-Air OHIO with a very tired 6 cylinder.:love
:crazy:cheersPictureKodak easy share photos 708.jpg