COMP CAM Lifters " D "

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pic of valley you can see cam alignment, is that normal to ride off center on the lobe?
Like 32witha409 said, it helps with lifter rotation. The pic may be deceiving, but almost looks a bit to far off center. If the pic is a front to rear view I think I would be looking at the front of the block to make sure the cam gear is not wearing into the block.
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
What cam are you using? If its a fast ramp cam like a Comp Xtreme energy or something similar its very common for the lifters to have a sewing machine or slight solid lifter type sound especially if you have to run pretty stout valvesprings.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Its mild, When Don came up with this, it was a deal where show cars was out of the one we wanted, so Comp Cams ground this one.

its got 817 heads, new springs and inner springs, Comp wants you to remove the inner spring to set these flat tappet lifters,, so you only have one spring tension, they are thinking you might leave a valve open, I am guessing? So this round...... Comp Cam...... 812D lifter, break in oil, zinc additive, assembly lube, ALL Comp, we will see......

Attachments

• cam card 409.jpg
    cam card 409.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 11

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When you adjusted your lifters before both sets running did you get a lot of oil splatter from the rockers or was it minimal. There are contributing factors causing a low output of oil like distributor not at correct height or indexed correctly. Others here have found incorrect priming tool to prime and then distributor a factor. I can't believe two other sets of lifters bad . Something is not right in my opinion. You can have good oil pressure but still have less to lifters as others have found on this site if you look those posts up. Just my thinking on the noisy lifters.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When you adjusted your lifters before both sets running did you get a lot of oil splatter from the rockers or was it minimal. There are contributing factors causing a low output of oil like distributor not at correct height or indexed correctly. Others here have found incorrect priming tool to prime and then distributor a factor. I can't believe two other sets of lifters bad . Something is not right in my opinion. You can have good oil pressure but still have less to lifters as others have found on this site if you look those posts up. Just my thinking on the noisy lifters.
they are oiling great. Both sides.

Last edited:

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
To be honest my 350 hp 348 clatters like it has solids, I know it did originally but I did go to adjust them and found them to be hydraulic lifters and I adjusted them many times, to this day I cant make them not clatter and I did replace them all recently and it still does it, this engine sat for I dont know how long but I suspect something isnt quite right either so I have really been watching this thread, I may just put 20 50 in it to see if that quiets it down! The cam in it now is pretty aggressive or at least sounds like it.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Your initial detailed information, and I have to be honest I did not read thru to whole list of what had been done. I can only say put a solid cam in it (Comp makes or did make an extreame cam for the 409) with a good set of springs (Lunati makes serveral that will work) some Howard ebd high end lifters, Crane Gold roller rockers 7/16 stud and if the holes are not right some guild plates from Carl Mcquillen will be needed. This will take care of all the top end stuff, good to 7K. Now what compression your running (cast or forged pistons), the rod upgrades you have done, and the oiling system upgrades that have been installed, you will have a bulletproff 409.

Last edited:

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What is or was the idling oil pressure???
well its good on start up, about 60 psi, after up to temp and running at normal idle, after it warms up pressure does drop down to 20-30 psi.

I have a set of junk tin valve covers i cut up for adjusting the rockers, trust me its oiling great, that was a mess, i verified each push rod had oil and a great amount.

Last edited:

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I put the lifters in last night..... for the first time (no pre soak) something very different this time...... I can SEE the preload, this helps a ton.
I think to do the job, you have to be able to see the plunger travel otherwise I feel NOW like I was guessing at it.

Proof will be when I get it all back together, and that noise is gone.

My thought so far is...........there was no damage to the lifters, because they are all in tact, no excessive wear, only had 2 hrs run time.
I think based on seeing the plunger this time I can say i did not have them adjusted correctly, time will tell.

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
I put the lifters in last night..... for the first time (no pre soak) something very different this time...... I can SEE the preload, this helps a ton.
I think to do the job, you have to be able to see the plunger travel otherwise I feel NOW like I was guessing at it.

Proof will be when I get it all back together, and that noise is gone.

My thought so far is...........there was no damage to the lifters, because they are all in tact, no excessive wear, only had 2 hrs run time.
I think based on seeing the plunger this time I can say i did not have them adjusted correctly, time will tell.
I did the same thing, put the new lifters in, could feel the preload so I know they were perfect but it made no difference.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What kind of valve spring pressure are you running?
I would also guess at this time the cam is already broke in if you have two hours on this engine.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m thinking Thursday or Friday to fire it back up and test it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 13