Dan Gurney 1961 409 Impala

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ed,
Since I wrote most of the negative comments let me be the first to apologise for assuming the worst of your intentions.
I am a bit of a stickler for detail on these cars and engines and I don't know everything but I generally know somethings not accurate when I see it or read it. We've all been interested in Dan's car for about as long as I remember since it is a first of it's kind and first for our beloved 409 engine. I also have an interest since I have a 61 409 block dated one day (Nov. 15, 60) before yours.
Anyway, now that we know you and you have made your intentions clear welcome to the forum. We'd all love to see and hear any news, especially pics, of your progress. Also if we can help with research, info, or just opinion, (we've got an overabundant supply of that) just ask.
Don't be a stranger, but watch out for that Phil guy.
Cecil

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ed....this is Phil. I want to thank Cecil for the elegant introduction!!!!!!
Our group is collectively invested in your car based on our devoted love for the 409 engines. The statements were not directly to you personally but with the historical significance of the car, we wish only the best for the car and it's owner. It speaks volumes to me that when you saw our comments, you decided to join us to fill us in on your restoration.
On a side note, have you heard of Norman Beechey from Australia? He raced a 62 Impala 4-door hardtop with a 2x4 409 equipped with power windows!!! I know Carl and his dad would know Norman.
Carry on and we would love to hear your updates. Caution.....we can be addictive!!!!!!!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ed....this is Phil. I want to thank Cecil for the elegant introduction!!!!!!
Our group is collectively invested in your car based on our devoted love for the 409 engines. The statements were not directly to you personally but with the historical significance of the car, we wish only the best for the car and it's owner. It speaks volumes to me that when you saw our comments, you decided to join us to fill us in on your restoration.
On a side note, have you heard of Norman Beechey from Australia? He raced a 62 Impala 4-door hardtop with a 2x4 409 equipped with power windows!!! I know Carl and his dad would know Norman.
Carry on and we would love to hear your updates. Caution.....we can be addictive!!!!!!!!

..........I have to agree with Phil........:rub........o m g did I really say that.........:confused

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Remember Ed we are all caretakers, and for you, you are the caretaker of one of the most notorious 61's in History.

Congratulations on your acquisition, I first learnt of the Gurney 61 when I was 19, nearly 40 years ago, I have learnt through this forum how significant this car is, and I suspect from Carl's viewpoint, who has been close to this car for decades, how important the restoration will be.
It is really good you have joined this forum, as the knowledge here will be invaluable to your end goal. There are definitely some guys you will need to converse with, ie Tommy, Cecil, Carl and a few more.

:welcome2

EdFoster1

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your kind replies. You may regret offering assistance, I might take you up on it! Verne has been a great help so far, but it’s always good to have safety in numbers.

If anyone knew of somewhere I could get a generator for the car that would be great... we are having to run an alternator set up at Goodwood because of time pressures, but obviously want the former, correct part. Am also struggling on a couple other parts, namely the seal between dash and windscreen and the rear quarter, vertical window seals. Does anyone know where I might track those down?

I’ve managed to get the correct carpet set for the car, but haven’t found anything for the boot... another head scratcher!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Best

Ed (still not an SS owner )

EdFoster1

We also need to get the correct headers as well so any tips are gratefully received!

Some recent images... Feel free to point out anything that stands out as incorrect - I can add it to the list!

Attachments

• D7DFC2BD-36DE-4E4F-9F95-98B82E1969A2.jpeg
    D7DFC2BD-36DE-4E4F-9F95-98B82E1969A2.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 59
  • A008538F-3747-42EC-8CA2-1ADBBE723114.jpeg
    A008538F-3747-42EC-8CA2-1ADBBE723114.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 86D378C5-68AF-4D20-B024-E6A3DF4982CE.jpeg
    86D378C5-68AF-4D20-B024-E6A3DF4982CE.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 6745C520-9CF7-4A0E-8D41-52C6D43D3290.jpeg
    6745C520-9CF7-4A0E-8D41-52C6D43D3290.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 335B0DCA-1222-45AB-B989-6E7AAE61C75F.jpeg
    335B0DCA-1222-45AB-B989-6E7AAE61C75F.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 85AD2033-2560-4B11-B874-0089E9BD7A10.jpeg
    85AD2033-2560-4B11-B874-0089E9BD7A10.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • F3CF159D-096E-4774-8F0D-6FD4106D2943.jpeg
    F3CF159D-096E-4774-8F0D-6FD4106D2943.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 50

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks for sharing just curious is the goal of having it resemble the 61 409 “as raced” or a 61 Impala restomode
Robert

EdFoster1

Hi Robert - I’m keen to have it as Dan raced it, or close to for the Revival. After that we’re pondering about whether to make it a racer again. It’s difficult, because I don’t want to lose the car’s character, but it would be great for it to race once again.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Just my suggestions, get the correct generator and pulley. The generator should be painted black, both ends on the correct generator are cast iron so they should be painted. You will need a decal on the breather, you will need to have a decal shop custom make you one because they are not being reproduced and the decal goes on the left side of the breather, not in front. When you get a chance, please paint that firewall correctly, no matter how nice the rest of the car looks, the black firewall ruins it all. Just being honest here. You got a hellva car there, do it right!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ed:

I provided the earlier links last week to your Goodwood Road and Racing stories here because of the great interest in the Gurney car.

I don't believe any of the comments from members of this forum were meant in a malicious way. As you have seen, there is a great deal of love for all things related to the Chevy 348/409 engines and the vehicles they came in. There is also a HUGE amount of knowledge, research material, parts and skills afforded by the members of this forum that is focused upon the 348/409 engines and applications, as well as a wonderful willingness to share all of that material. I joined this group earlier this year because of that knowledge and the members' willingness to help me on my own project.

I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I believe you will find that the members of this forum share your interest in bringing this significant vehicle back to life as befitting it's heritage. And I also believe that you will find them a great resource for information and parts sources to support the proper restoration of the Gurney '61.

We welcome you to the 348-409 forum and thank you for resurrecting the '61. Please keep us updated on your progress.

John

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The correct 268 generator is available from Chicago Corvette., 1 800 872-2446 not cheap but I've bought one from them and was very happy with it. Also, most any of the other parts that you need should be available from Show Cars inc.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
EdFoster
The reason I asked about the goal for completing the project is that I am fortunate to own a 61 Impala SS 409. I noticed the items Tommy pointed out as well as others observed. I would be willing to email you detailed photos of any of the questioned items. PM if you need anything
Good Luck with this historic project.
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
EdFoster
I seem to recall a photo that might have been in the 1962 Hot Rod magazine revealing the car. I have that magazine saved in my pile of somewhat useless stuff. I thought the car was ordered with a tach and EB9 transmitter?
Robert