Differential codes

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
when im not on here i got a life im doing something more productive than dq and the other immature idiots do cause from what i have seen looking at the older post is that their in here every single day must not have that much of a life if their having to take and sling comments and try to start a fight

M

MK IISS

"...and 1000X15 radir M/T slicks on 15X10 chrome revesal out back."

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ronnie..no PM from you..I don't know about the differential or any past stuff here but it's interesting that he can't find the foundry cast date...not sure when they went down on the side of the blocks or whether that was just later big blocks or Tonawanda.

M

MK IISS

4onthefloor:

...it's interesting that he can't find the foundry cast date...."

He knows what it is.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Get a life? I think it would be a fairly safe bet that the majority of us here have seen more, done more and know more then you ever will !!:brow
Bulls**t gets you no where. This is what we have against you.
You ask questions only to try and get us to go along with your lies about your factious COPO car !
Maybe you need to take a good look in the mirror and admit that what you have is a mishmash of a parts car.

Maturity is being able to see and listen to others when asking questions about something that you know nothing about.

I don`t believe anyone here tries to start anything. It is you that loves this confrontation or you would not continually challenge us with your BS.
I also think we have given you every opportunity to be square with us by asking you to back up what you say about your car with honest answers and proof of casting numbers and such. You refuse to do so.

No bashing here,,, we just call it as we see it,,:takethat dq

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gang, just got out of bed, spent last four flat on my back. The entertainment value in this thread is PRICELESS!!! :clap

But it hurts like hell when I laugh...:roll

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think that well water is getting to you out in Wonder Lake...better ship in some good ole Lake Michigan water !:brow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
C-central, O-office, P-production, O-order. It means you could have a car built to your specs while it was rolling down the assembly line, more or less.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
From the COPO.com site

"Throughout the 1960's, Chevrolet Central Office approved orders providing for a special combination of options that were requested by customers. These orders could have been placed for a single vehicle or a fleet of vehicles to be built. A majority of COPOS included 6 cylinder engines equipped with a variety of transmissions for taxis and delivery vehicles. The only restrictions placed on the orders were that RPO (regular production option) parts be available, and Chevrolet Engineering Department review and sign off on the order."

What I was trying to get at with this Belair is a COPO car doesn't mean it was a hi performance unit but had to be approved by Central Office in whatever non standard configuration was being asked for...I just haven't seen what the non standard reason was for this 63 Belair...it would show on the build sheet if there was a COPO or F.S.O order involved with this car if the buildsheet was available...

M

MK IISS

COPO BelAir

Bob: The '63 BelAir in question has been claimed to be a COPO, at least in the past, because it was factory built with a 1961 283 Corvette engine. and/or a special ratio rear end.

M

MK IISS

Copo

Mike: Most COPO cars were fleet orders for phone, electric companies, police, taxis, delivery vehicles, etc. COPOs are are a special combination of parts or options that are not normally available together as a regular production option.

A good example of a hi-performance "COPO Car" is the limited number of 1968 Chevy II/Novas that Fred Gibb, a famous Chevy dealer, had built. In 1968 the 375horse solid lifter 396 was not available with the Turbo 400 auto trans. The 396/350 was the highest horsepower Nova engine you could get with the auto. Mr. Gibb made a request, using a COPO order, for Chevy to build a certain number of the 396/375 Turbo 400 cars. Chevrolet accepted the order and built the cars.

The 1969 COPO 427 Chevelle, Camaro, and the 1970 Nova 350 LT1 are probably the most well known of the COPO cars.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
thanks,:bow now i have learned something today:takethat . it was getting close but made it,:eek:
i do try to learn one thing a day. :cheers

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
...I think a lot of people equate COPO with Hi Performance...as Richard listed above...most of the cars were mundane fleet cars...lots of goofy stuff came out of Chevrolet. With all due respect...there would not be a COPO for a 61 engine in a 63 car..however a non standard axle ratio would probably have to go thru Central Office. for approval.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back to the original question about "BB" differential. My original Chevrolet Parts and Accessories Catalog (parts manual) covering 1938-1964 and printed in 1970 lists BB for 1963 as "Powerglide (6 cyl.) (3.36 ratio)".

SteveD

M

MK IISS

Bb 3.36

Steve: My info shows the same. Looking at the '63 sales engine/trans/axle ratio chart...the 6-cyl/Powerglide cars had a 3.08 ratio except wagons which had a 3.55 and convertibles had a 3.36. Cars with a 283/Powerglide also came standard with a 3.08 except wagons and Impala models which all had a 3.36. So I think it is reasonable to assume, if the charts are correct, that if a BelAir with 283/Powerglide had a 3.36 (from the factory) it was an optional ratio.

I think Cecil has a good point when he said: "I believe your BB axle just designates a 3.36 open rear in a full size pass car." In other words the charts showing a code, such as BB, for the ratio are correct but are not always correct or complete for a specific application.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
So 3.36:1 ratio for the rearend well i guess it was changed at the dealership then cause when i pulled the gears out they were marked as GM 4.56:1 gears and the orignal bill of sale i have list it as 4.56:1 dont have the window sticker so i guess it left the factory with 3.36:1 and then left the dealership with 4.56:1 gears