Edelbrock speaks

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sometimes when I read some of these threads, I wonder what motivates some to comment the way that they do. First let me say that I have never worked for Edelbrock, and I have never worked for any of their competitors. I have no axe to grind either way.
Some like to bash Edelbrock for making "copies" that perform no better than stock heads. The standard replacement heads like the Ford FE head, and the Pontiac head, both of which I have used, are made for the guy who wants to upgrade an existing engine, or build a new engine that is still in a fairly mild state of tune. They are offered as such in Edelbrock's advertising. They are not considered to be a Victor style of head like those that are offered for the more common engines. These heads can be upgraded to flow enough air for 600+ hp, but that takes considerable porting work, and Victor manifolds, too. We built these two engines, pump gas engines both, and each made over 620 hp.
We used literally hundreds of victor jr manifolds in their various configurations, and there are a couple of other brands that work well in certain combinations, but the victor was the standard that all were judged by. We did not use many Performer manifolds, but when the Performer RPM and RPM Air Gap came out, these manifolds worked so well in every type offered, that nothing else was even in the same class with them. We even used this manifold on the milder circle track engines instead of victor style manifolds, because they dynoed better in the power range they were running in.
I will be the first to admit that it takes longer to jet Carter style carbs that Holleys, and it take more tuning kit pieces, but we jetted at least a couple of dozen on the dyno, and were able to make all of them work well. Lest someone think i'm totally pro Edelbrock, I prefer a Holley 950 HP, but where is that large port 1x4 super victor 409 manifold?
As someone said, the carb is only as good (or more often bad) as the person tuning them.
We used a lot of Edelbrock product, the quality was always good, and I have nothing bad to say about them.

Pretty much my experience!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't know if my comments would make any difference, but I run the Carter Comp series 600 cfm carbs on my mild build 409. After rejetting for my engine combo (thanks Ronnie) I have had no issues with these carbs. Many of you have seen my 409 run and can back me up on this. I have tuned Edelbrock AFB style carbs with good results also. I havn't used any Edelbrock producs except for replacment parts for my Comp carbs, but I am glad they are in the performance buisiness. I will still buy my heads from Bob W. when the time comes but if Bob were not making 409 heads I would probably buy from Edelbrock.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could it be that Dave's buddy was simply using too much carb for his engine? The #881 intake was designed for the OEM carbs ( 500cfm to 550cfm, I've heard all kinds of numbers) The 750 aftermarket carbs are offered in a ready to run state for the average performance engine with a single carb. You can't just bolt 2 on an engine designed for 1000cfm without problems. If the heads ( 690 ) are radically ported with much bowl work and the intake has been heavily modified, i.e. Tony Schaeffer, and cam is sufficient , then they will work well. By using the AVS , secondary air valve can be adjusted to open rapidly to overcome overly rich condition caused by WOT from idle. In my opinion this just masks the problem. Too much carb for the application. By changing metering rods and jets, Dave was able to make the 750 AVS work, but the bottom line is 2 600cfm , properly jetted would have been far less troublesome and with better performance. The problem was not defective carbs.,,, the problem was over carbing engine. But with so much money spent, I am glad the buddy ended up with a decent combination. Once again I say, this is only my opinion.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Last talk

I think Edelbrock W head will be around $900 ea. head complete. Not bad for a 690 lightweight replacement.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think Edelbrock W head will be around $900 ea. head complete. Not bad for a 690 lightweight replacement.

That would be great but I think they will bump the price some knowing that the total sales volume will be much less than other more popular configurations. I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

Well, smart guys, he did go back and forth with the carb sets, and, his engine is capable of using the 750 cfm carbs. And, yes, he IS a member here.

As far as Edelbrock goes, they seem to make a bunch of copy stuff, like the Olds, Pontiac and Ford FE heads I mentioned previously, that need mega work to get them to work even mediocre. They sell most of their crap because people don't know any better than to use it, and from speed shop goons that haven't got a clue, all they know to "recommend" is "Buy an Edelbrock", with no hands on experience from the salesman.

Now, Ugly 58 Delivery, I pose this question to only YOU, no one else, post all the piston manufacturers you know, from your memory, not by reading web sites, off the top of your head, as I want to see just how much you are aware of what is available. I am fairly sure you don't know much about what piston manufacture are available, and lets see your list from mine.

I will PM dq with MY list right now, and ask him to hold it until your post is done. It is now 9:00AM here, and I should have the PM done and sent by 9:15 or so.

This is just a test to see if you actually know what is available in the after market, as you seem NOT to know much about what is out there as far as manifolds.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, smart guys, he did go back and forth with the carb sets, and, his engine is capable of using the 750 cfm carbs. And, yes, he IS a member here.

As far as Edelbrock goes, they seem to make a bunch of copy stuff, like the Olds, Pontiac and Ford FE heads I mentioned previously, that need mega work to get them to work even mediocre. They sell most of their crap because people don't know any better than to use it, and from speed shop goons that haven't got a clue, all they know to "recommend" is "Buy an Edelbrock", with no hands on experience from the salesman.

Now, Ugly 58 Delivery, I pose this question to only YOU, no one else, post all the piston manufacturers you know, from your memory, not by reading web sites, off the top of your head, as I want to see just how much you are aware of what is available. I am fairly sure you don't know much about what piston manufacture are available, and lets see your list from mine.

I will PM dq with MY list right now, and ask him to hold it until your post is done. It is now 9:00AM here, and I should have the PM done and sent by 9:15 or so.

This is just a test to see if you actually know what is available in the after market, as you seem NOT to know much about what is out there as far as manifolds.

WTF are you talking about? I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about your list of anything. Is this a 3rd grade contest? Grow up. It'll be a shame if you die a bitter old man.

9:14AM, September 28, 2007, my list is posted bonehead, get to yours, from memory.

I am not bitter at all, I just can't stand idiots that post crap they don't know anything about, like YOU always do.

Now, prove you are knowledgeable in your posts, get to your list, so we can all see just how much you know about availability of items PAST Edelbrock.

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
I checked with Edelbrock. All of the numbers are still in development and there is no eta nor is there any pricing available.... typical Edelbrock. :cuss

They advertise stuff for 2 years sometimes before it gets released... to gauge interest.

I think $900 is about right for retail on the heads. They could probably do them for a few hundred less but they know the market. They are going to keep them right at the price of a good set of 690 heads.

Gearhead99

I'll just throw this out there in support of this mini-war.

I've used MANY Elderbrock and Carter AFB's and Holley's on everything from hot-rods, boats, factory cars, etc. The AFB's are by far the most reliable of the two major brands of carbs. today.

Once they are trimmed out they are basicly trouble free and superior in drivablity. Unlike the Holley which are prone to leakage and they have to be fiddled with all the time. Plus you need a six pack of power valves in the glove box to replace all the blown ones. They blow the power valve at the least little barf back. Use to carry two in my tool box on my last Cigarette.

Now the Holley's are good at WOT, better then anyone else. But, driving on the street and in multi-carb applications [dual 4-barrels] the Holley's are the pits.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gearhead

for the past 40 plus years i have been farting around with these old carbs i couldn't have said it better. HEY, i noticed your signature, are you sure we aren't related???

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17

I've used MANY Elderbrock and Carter AFB's and Holley's on everything from hot-rods, boats, factory cars, etc. The AFB's are by far the most reliable of the two major brands of carbs. today.

Once they are trimmed out they are basicly trouble free and superior in drivablity. Unlike the Holley which are prone to leakage and they have to be fiddled with all the time. Plus you need a six pack of power valves in the glove box to replace all the blown ones. They blow the power valve at the least little barf back. Use to carry two in my tool box on my last Cigarette.

Now the Holley's are good at WOT, better then anyone else. But, driving on the street and in multi-carb applications [dual 4-barrels] the Holley's are the pits.

Gearhead I stopped at one word on your post!!!! CIGARETTE. Hey I'm an old DONZI person but have been around the Mangnum's, Monza's,Fountains and the Excaliber's What are you running now? Don't tell me a 45 Maximus with the big Merc SCI's:bow :bow :bow I sort of lost interest when everyone left 188th St.
Robert

oil4kids

Well Known Member
what piston manufacture are available, and lets see your list from mine.

Dave

Lets pass on "ALL" the piston manufactures, all the slanty eye eastern commy back room yeng yang slugs....... just tell us the best one, I cant afford to blow up a W block with junk pistons.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

If you are having problems with a Holley then it is for one of two reason, either you are not using genuine Holley parts or the person working on them doesn't know what they are doing. Most of my engines have Holleys and even though they sit all winter without being started I haven't touched one in years. Walk around a drag strip once and see how many Holley carbs are on the true performance cars, they wouldn't be there if they weren't consistent.

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, Please don't tell me that beautiful Chevelle you let me ride in has a Holley on it. Glad I didnt know it at the time or I would have declined the ride.. I would have been scared to death of a break down and a walk back to camp. :roll :roll :roll Holley vs. AFB AFB vs. Holley it will never end. Hope not anyway, way too boring without a little variety in life. :)

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bill, Please don't tell me that beautiful Chevelle you let me ride in has a Holley on it. Glad I didnt know it at the time or I would have declined the ride.. I would have been scared to death of a break down and a walk back to camp. :roll :roll :roll Holley vs. AFB AFB vs. Holley it will never end. Hope not anyway, way too boring without a little variety in life. :)

Wow, glad you didn't know I enjoyed the company and its kind of amazing that it was able to start and drive with four of us in the car. I put the original carbs back on everything but since most of my engines are big blocks they came with a Holley. I like the looks of the carters on the 409 and know that if I have anything I can't figure out Fatride isn't far away as long as I have enough Gin and Tonic I'm sure he would help.:roll :roll :roll :roll

Bill