Gauging Interest: South Eastern Members Get Together

Would you be interested in attending a Southeastern 348/409 Get Together??

• Total voters

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
First of all let me say that I have ZERO experience organizing an event.

I have heard a few members mention getting together at a track here in the southeastern states this summer.

Please reply in this thread if you're a member southern member (whether you'd be interested in coming or not) with your location. This way we can see how many of us there are and what would be somewhat centralized. Please send a PM, email, or whatever to anyone that you think would be interested so they can see this thread. Of course - ANYONE and EVERYONE would be welcome so if you live on the other side of the country or around the world I know I for one would still want you there.

Personally, I'm not thinking of a car show, but a get together at a drag strip where those who want to run can.....and where we can park all of the cars together whether racing or not. Just a good time of Fun, Food, and Fellowship. I've known many of you for nearly half of my life now and never met any of you in person. Things aren't looking good for me to make it to the National Convention. I was hoping to make it to Thompson this year, but if that event is taking place this year I haven't heard it confirmed.

Thanks, Jason

edit:
I am going to make a list here of members in the area (or out of the area, but interested) just to help us keep up with each other so if you post up I'll add you here.

1961BelAir427 (Jason) - middle GA
Don Jack - AL
Bub6le 20p (Martin) - KY
Eric Kozmic - upstate SC
sp6t1348 - MD

Last edited:

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Jason,

I would be "game" for a meet somewhere in the SE. I know there's a track in Commerce, GA.

www.atlantadragway.com

Personally I wouldn't race, but it would be good to see a bunch of old Chevys in the same location.

I'll watch this thread & maybe we can meet up in 2014.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jason,

I would be "game" for a meet somewhere in the SE. I know there's a track in Commerce, GA.

www.atlantadragway.com

Personally I wouldn't race, but it would be good to see a bunch of old Chevys in the same location.

I'll watch this thread & maybe we can meet up in 2014.

Glad to hear it Eric. I'd be okay with Commerce since it is only 100 miles away, but that might not be convenient to the majority. I've been there quite a few times and that track may be a little to large scale for us to get them to cater to a small group. I could be wrong though. (Wouldn't be the 1st time in the last hour...just ask my kids.) :bang

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I would be interested; a great spot to consider is Coastal Plains Dragway, Jacksonville, NC. Me and my buddies raced there when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Great town, great track and centrally located. Just a thought.

Semper Fi...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've raced at both places,nice places,nice people,but the size groupe of people were likely to draw [50-60] cars,would lead more towards Costal Planes.It's a smaller place,likely cheaper becase of it.We need to include ouur Maryland and Del. guys in this.I ''ve met some of them personally,and can say that they aint YANKEES,they just happen to live in the wrong place.:laugh

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What about somewhere more inland ? Bristol, TN looks like it is in the center for the southeast area. They are also a larger track so maybe somewhere smaller just in that area? In my opinion before we look hard at any location we need a better idea of who'd be seriously interested in coming and shoot for a spot that would be equally convenient.

Also, do you think we could really have 50-60 cars? That would be awesome. I was hoping I could get at least 10 or 15 together.

de31168

Well Known Member
How about Lewistown Montana. We are a little farther inland and would love to have you!;)

My 58 Chevy came from Lewistown, Montana! I doubt the dealer is still there.

As far as the event, Bristol isn't bad and might even grab some of the midwestern people also.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've raced at both places,nice places,nice people,but the size groupe of people were likely to draw [50-60] cars,would lead more towards Costal Planes.It's a smaller place,likely cheaper becase of it.We need to include ouur Maryland and Del. guys in this.I ''ve met some of them personally,and can say that they aint YANKEES,they just happen to live in the wrong place.:laugh

Hey Don,

Delaware is the 1st State and Maryland is the first State of the south...honest:D

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As much as I would like to make it out to KS next year, its too far to drive my 409.

The SE region would be great.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's the boat I'm in Eric. I wouldn't want anyone to miss the national convention because of a SE gathering so I hope no one thinks I am trying to take away from that. It is shaping up to be THE BIGGEST & BEST 409 EVENT EVER. I wish I could make it.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I wonder what kind of a "deal" we could obtain if we had a trailer pick us up in a central location (like Atlanta for instance) & drive the cars to KC (& back) for the meet??

I still like your idea of a get together in the SE region even if it's just for 3 days/2 nights. (Fri-Sun)

Drive to the event on Day 1, go to dinner, return to hotel & do bench racing with beverages of your choice. For Day 2, find some car related museum close by and go there for a few hours. Everyone would then head back home on Day 3.

I've been on several of these meets w/my Dad with the early Ford V-8 club & they are a BLAST!

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
just a thought if we scheduled something in april or may i'm thinking Bristol we would have time to see if we could help each other to get to
the big convention in kansas, I'm going to do all i can to be there,

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Gentlemen,

Bristol sounds great for those who are close. It is too far for some like me to attend over a weekend. I think the key would be to plan an event that targets participants within a 250 mile radius of the designated site. Thus Bristol could be a Southern event for those that wish to attend.

I have been tasked with planning things like this before; it requires a team effort to pull it off. We are discussing the third step; location(s). The first step in my opinion is type of forum; e.g. 58-65 Chevy only, swap meet, car show, nostalgic drags, vendor space rental, swap space, or all of the above. If it is to be a 58-65 Chevy event, then expectations for participation will be on a somewhat smaller scale; which is appealing. Partnering with a charity like Wounded Warrior Project appeals to me. Advertising to the local area where it will be held will draw more interest as well.

The second step would be dates and times followed by locations. It is feasible to plan something like Bristol along with Coastal Plains or Cecil County Drag-o-way as well. Don't forget that there are places like smaller municipal and private airports which have supported events like this in the past. The initial event should be kept simple for many reasons. Planning something like this takes a great deal of concerted effort if it is going to be a success.

Just some food for thought.

"Semper Fidelis"- Always Faithful

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Very interesting topic as there are several members in the "East"
A friend owns a racetrack in Southern Delaware, "US 13 Raceway" He is a good promoter doing several special interest events a year. One of his big events is a super chevy event not affiliated with any national chevy organization. Two things come to mind. Partnering with his late August Chevy event or during when they have the endless summer car bash over in Ocean City which would be a good event for members out of the area to visit as it is an amazing gathering that has become larger than Ocean City can handle as several events are "off the island".
Several of our members are familiar with the Ocean City event and several of our members have raced at US 13 in Delmar and they could add their two cents worth.
Robert