Have problem

Junky

Well Known Member
Just received my answer about my insurance claim.
Received a OK, all I need to do is drop off my deductible fee ($100) portion.
New short block & intake with all the parts and labor it totals $10,000.
Going to talk to the dealer also as to what the time frame will be. I don’t want to have to pay for the rental vehicle For very long.
Had a friend that waited for months to have a dealer finish his engine rebuild.
if that’s the case, I’m going to see what the dealer has to offer on a trade in.
My 2019 GMC Sierra Denali only has 14,000 miles on it, so the dealer can do the rebuild and have a very good truck for it’s used car lot.
again we will see.

Be careful what you do in advance, because the insurance company might not pay the full claim if you don't have the new engine installed. You want to have them install a factory new crate engine. Shouldn't take but a week or two to get one. Make sure that they don't try to pass off a junk yard engine as a new one. That is what happened to a friend, when they quoted him a price on a new GM engine, and they installed a used engine from a salvage yard. I caught the "fraud" when I looked at the engine, and noticed that it had overspray on top of grease. Looked the engine over closely, and found the VIN stamp from another vehicle. He reported what I found, and the state attorney general's office had the State Police do a VIN inspection, and determined that the engine was from a totalled truck. It went down hill from there, but eventually that traded the truck for a much newer and better truck for short dollars to end the "fraud" claim.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just received my answer about my insurance claim.
Received a OK, all I need to do is drop off my deductible fee ($100) portion.
New short block & intake with all the parts and labor it totals $10,000.
Going to talk to the dealer also as to what the time frame will be. I don’t want to have to pay for the rental vehicle For very long.
Had a friend that waited for months to have a dealer finish his engine rebuild.
if that’s the case, I’m going to see what the dealer has to offer on a trade in.
My 2019 GMC Sierra Denali only has 14,000 miles on it, so the dealer can do the rebuild and have a very good truck for it’s used car lot.
again we will see.
:appl:appl:appl Thats great, should take the sting out of a major repair!!! I'll bet you will sleep better tonight.

Junky

Well Known Member
Kind of unfair to lump them all together. I know of some young mechanics that take pride in their work, and do things correctly. They are also the ones that are rising among the ranks of the dealerships. Sure there are those that don't care, and can't wait for the bell to tell them to go home, but they don't last very long at most dealerships today. The dealerships are being forced by the manufacturers to improve their image, and keep the customers happy and coming back. Shoddy work isn't tolerated at both the Ford dealership and the independant shop that I use.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Buddy is a BMW me hanic at dealer. They had a few hih end Bimmers come in that hydraliced after a nasty rain a month or so ago. The air intakes are very low in front. That has to suck.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Problem solved. Traded in the 2019 GMC Sierra Denali with the water damaged engine (repair cost me $100) and have no idea as to when the dealer will have the new parts. So have no idea as to how long I would have to pay for the rental vehicle.)
Purchased another, but a 2020 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2 short bed. Basically the same truck just one year newer no miles on it but a different color. Cost is a very small amount over the 2019 payment, but I’m worry free as to if any other items in the 2019 would have gone bad.
Should have it in a week as it’s in transit.
You have to pay for mistakes you yourself make, someway.

Dave

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Problem solved. Traded in the 2019 GMC Sierra Denali with the water damaged engine (repair cost me $100) and have no idea as to when the dealer will have the new parts. So have no idea as to how long I would have to pay for the rental vehicle.)
Purchased another, but a 2020 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2 short bed. Basically the same truck just one year newer no miles on it but a different color. Cost is a very small amount over the 2019 payment, but I’m worry free as to if any other items in the 2019 would have gone bad.

Dave
Post pictures of it Dave , like to see it when you get it. My friend just got a 2020 Chevy. It's got more stuff on it that he knows how to use. Got his phone set up in vehicle,power tail gate ( down only) and telescopic and tilt column much,much more. Makes my 1990 Silverado look obsolete, but tax and insurance is cheap.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1

Dave
I take it that 6.2 is the new big gas motor not the Duramax?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
With my 2018 Silverado 4x4 with 6.2, 8 speed, I get 12-13 pulling my 24 ft car trailer with car in it. Not towing, trip to AZ from MT, the computer says 23.5, but it lies. It figured 22. That beat the mileage I was getting with my 2011 Silverado with 5.3. It would get 17-18 on the same trip to AZ, not towing.
My son tried the 2018 in the 1/4 mile 2 years ago, street legal day. 6 passes all between 15.07 and 15.16. Crewcab 1500. I am very happy with it.
Then 2 weeks ago, towing the car back from a race, I hit a deer 6 miles from home.:tantrum:tantrum:tantrum All damage below the grill, grill wasn't hurt. I went for an estimate, $4300. One headlight had a mounting tab broken, $1400. Then on the way home I hit a pheasant that broke the grill.:furious Not a good week.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I wonder what the fuel milage is on that 6.2 gas, my buddy just traded in his 2016 2500HD 6.0L pickup for a 2020 3500HD 6.2 Duramax. Pulling his 24' box trailer with his 2016 he was getting about 6-7 miles per gallon.

My 2016/8speed got about the same milage pulling a trailer as the 2018/10speed....in the 9's with out a headwind@70-75 mph. My light 18' box tandem shooting trailer and my 24' Crusher box trailer both get the same milage. Makes me think the suction at the back is what causes bad milage like I've read. Attached is a pic of my trip meter with the 2018. She's got guts pulling as far as a gasser goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20180717_143502282.jpg
    IMG_20180717_143502282.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
With my 2018 Silverado 4x4 with 6.2, 8 speed, I get 12-13 pulling my 24 ft car trailer with car in it. Not towing, trip to AZ from MT, the computer says 23.5, but it lies. It figured 22. That beat the mileage I was getting with my 2011 Silverado with 5.3. It would get 17-18 on the same trip to AZ, not towing.
My son tried the 2018 in the 1/4 mile 2 years ago, street legal day. 6 passes all between 15.07 and 15.16. Crewcab 1500. I am very happy with it.
Then 2 weeks ago, towing the car back from a race, I hit a deer 6 miles from home.:tantrum:tantrum:tantrum All damage below the grill, grill wasn't hurt. I went for an estimate, $4300. One headlight had a mounting tab broken, $1400. Then on the way home I hit a pheasant that broke the grill.:furious Not a good week.
When did the 6.2 gas motor come out, I think in 2016 the 6.0 was the largest gas motor available.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
When did the 6.2 gas motor come out, I think in 2016 the 6.0 was the largest gas motor available.
I didn't remember, so here is a copy/paste from Wikipedia.

The Generation III small block V8 engines offered in the GMT800 trucks were replaced in the GMT900 series by the Generation IV small block V8 engine family, featuring upgrades such as increased power and Active Fuel Management on the 5.3 L and 6.0 L V8s. A new high performance 6.2 liter V8 (with 403 hp (301 kW) and 417 lb⋅ft (565 N⋅m) of torque) was introduced with the 2007 Cadillac Escalade and 2007 GMC Denali line, and was made available in the Silverado 1500 for MY 2009.