How fast is the fastest 409 that is streeable

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My 09 is not exactly a daily driver but I could I guess. No parade car for sure but reliable and with 4:56 gears will cruise at 70 mph on the highway at 2850 rpm. Car has run 11.58 in the 1/4 mi. Naturally aspirated. Heater blows hot air and everything works including the original clock, full interior.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"Streetable" is defined in many different ways, usually quite loosely, just like stock in "super stock". I guess if a car has a valid state registration it would be "streetable". Probably some cars in the 8-9 sec range.

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Good question,David.It would depend on what one considers "streetable".
EXAMPLES EXAMPLES EXAMPLES EXAMPLES
Not a 409 but a 392 Hemi with an 871 blower. can drive daily if you own a gas station. Have a 36 Gall tank for those long trips. 7 mpg and runs low 12s.

Owned a 1965 Impala SS convertible, 409-400 4speed in 1968 when I was 16. Was my daily driver, work, dates, street and strip racing, school when not skipping and that car ran high 13s.

8630246224_5f3cffeee2_b.jpg 1965 409 (4).jpg

Last edited:

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
409 stuff (5).jpg I'm talking about any 409 in any car. Factory or none factory, even if it has a 454 crank with W heads and W valve covers. It could be a truck 409 with a 2 barrel. Longs as it gets from point A to point B without over heating.

Last edited:

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Here is another one of my ex 409s. Daily driver, work,street and strip and the cruise on hot nights. Even drove the car from Detroit to Great Lakes Dragway in Wisconsin for a 409 meet. Had no heating problems until I removed the headers and put the full factory exhaust with resonators. Engine ran 30 degrees hotter. 1962 Impala SS, 409-409 4 speed with air. was a 327 300 4 speed car.

My 1962 409 Cars (4).JPG My 1962 409 Cars (6).JPG

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Like Ray, my car is in full street trim, but I have a heater delete. 11.72@116 is my best so far. Pump gas, does not overheat, starts and drives nice. I use it as a delivery car for my shop in the summer months. I get to the parts store quick!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like Ray, my car is in full street trim, but I have a heater delete. 11.72@116 is my best so far. Pump gas, does not overheat, starts and drives nice. I use it as a delivery car for my shop in the summer months. I get to the parts store quick!
I'd say it just has to have plates and be street driven as well as track driven? Not that it "could be"? So, is MRHP the fastest so far?

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Time tickets, video, pictures would be cool to prove. We have a bet going on with a Mopar guy with a 413.
I see you are near Lansing? My shop was near I96 in New Hudson MI in the early 90s.