How to tell a 348 or 409 car. Need input for our FAQ page

de31168

Well Known Member
One thing I didn't see listed for 1963 is heavy duty suspension. The performance 409 option came with an F41 suspension package. The difference is there are 3 notches on the control arm bushings instead of 4.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
de31168:

The RPO F41 suspension pkg., which included a rear anti-sway bar, wasn't available until around 1966. You probably are referring to the RPO F40 ( a 1963 and later code)heavy duty suspension.

Rick

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
After mid-year '65 actually...

de31168:

The RPO F41 suspension pkg., which included a rear anti-sway bar, wasn't available until around 1966. You probably are referring to the RPO F40 ( a 1963 and later code)heavy duty suspension.

Rick
F-41
First release March 1965
FINAL revision drawing shown in 1965 Assembly Manual as well

Mine has it, WITH THE CORRECT TRAILING ARMS !!! and I am not telling the world what the difference between F-41 and regular production trailing arms are... :dunno

Rock :cool:

de31168

Well Known Member
de31168:

Rick

Oops, yes, you are correct. Typo on my part.

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Personally twisted off bracket on upper control arm on my brother Bill's 62 Bel Air bubbletop while racing my older brother in his 57 chev 2 dr wagon. Twisted drive shaft into two pieces at same time. The 57 was a good tow vehicle! Might not have been a weakness on the 62, as a year before I blew the tranny and rearend at the same time on my older brothers Tom's 57 wagon!

just read all entrys to this topic and there was 1 thing i didnt see on here

63 and 64 had an x stamped on the trim tag beside the paint code on 409 cars

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"63 and 64 had an x stamped on the trim tag beside the paint code on 409 cars"

David,
An X beside the paint code???? not saying you are incorrect but I have to ask....what do you base this statement on?....how many cars have you seen marked as such?

If this were the case, it would sure simplify identifying a '63 or '64 409 car but with each plant using different codes on the cowl tags I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Again, not saying you are wrong but perhaps you could shed so more light on how you arrived at this.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had to go to the garage and check also. Mine is a Janesville car and I don't have the X. Were there 3 notches in the bushings or only one? Bob

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not going to my garage, my 63 was originally a 6 cylinder! :doh :D
(and there is no X on mine either)

"63 and 64 had an x stamped on the trim tag beside the paint code on 409 cars"

David,
An X beside the paint code???? not saying you are incorrect but I have to ask....what do you base this statement on?....how many cars have you seen marked as such?

If this were the case, it would sure simplify identifying a '63 or '64 409 car but with each plant using different codes on the cowl tags I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Again, not saying you are wrong but perhaps you could shed so more light on how you arrived at this.
i have a good friend who has 5 or 6 , 63 409 cars and all of his has the x beside the paint code
and i have a untouched late 64 409 425 car that has the x beside the paint code
also out of the cars in my collection which is approx 70 between 62-64 this is the only one with an x stamped in it , we have all the paper work from this car we are the 2nd owners of it , not disputing anyones facts or knowledge just from what i have seen and been told by a few big 409 guys and they also have verified this car is 100% intact other than , belts , hoses, tires and other maintence issues

maybe it was a certain plant or gave dealerships a way to see if any major repair or replacement engine was done i dont know
but the car i have has an x
was a 1 owner car
had 1 repaint since new (azure aqua)
has documented 68,ooo original miles
has all original drivetrain still in tact

i was just adding to the list of what i have been told and what i have seen

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I drove my 63 to work today. I just went out to the parking lot to double check. No X next to my trim code. No X anywhere on the trim tag. This car is a real 340hp 409 Impala. It was built in Janesville WI. I'd like to see a picture of a trim tag with the X. Now I'm curious...
Ross

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Each body assembly plant had it's own system of coding options on the trim tag. The very general rule of thumb would be that only options which required some modification to the body would appear on the trim tag but there have been many examples of trim codes that don't seem to fit the mold.

:scratch

Attachments

• 63 acc codes.jpg
    63 acc codes.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 61

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
You might want to add these references as they are original GM documents and contain the answers to many questions on what the original equipment and configuration was on various years:

58 New Product Information Manual
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1958npi/index.html

58 AMA Specs
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/58index.htm

59 New Product Information Manual
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1959npi/index.html
(note 300 hp and 315 hp 348 in engine specs)

59 Owners Manual, 1st edition
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyowner/59r1omindex.html
(note 300 hp and 315 hp 348 in engine specs)

59 Owners Manual, 3rd edition
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyowner/59omindex.htm
(note 305 hp and 320 hp in engine specs instead of 300 and 315hp, ...don't know the date of this edition and haven't seen a 2nd edition to see which it has)

Wanna know the price and part number of accessories in 1960?
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/accessories/1960ap/60accpindex.html

The source site has loads of original publications which can answer a lot of questions if you do a little research. It is still light on 60 and later pubs but they keep adding more.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was able to check the local"OEM demo car" here this morning. It's no X either (63 Impala 409/425)
Robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It would help to know the assembly plant for the "X" code tags. Might be able to spot a trend.

Here's one from a car on ebay right now. A Van Nuys built car with "EX" on the tag.

Attachments

• 3a5b_3.JPG
    3a5b_3.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 58

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Cecil,
Yeah but that X is on the acc. code line where you would expect it, David says his is by the paint code and that's what I don't understand. Why would an engine code be on the paint line?