It's Summer - Nuts must be overheating !!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:eek:You have it set up correctly:bang you need a new meter:bang 17.5 volts would fry everything in the car:evil

I can't believe there would be something wrong with the meter, I probably have $8-10 invested in it !!!!! :roll:roll I'll recheck and update you... Would too much electricity cause over-heating !!!! :roll:roll

Bill

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bill,

If your in doubt about your meter's reading, try using it to measure a different car's battery voltage without the engine running. It should read about 12.8 volts dc. Then start the other car and see if the meter reads a little over 14 volts.

Clyde

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's Summer-Nuts must be overheating

You asked about info. on the best set-up for electric fans. Check www.fan-man.com then go to FAQ. I'm not sure if this answers all of the questions, but it's a start.

Dave

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Is 12v better ???

Well I re-checked using another meter and got a little over 12v damn !!!!:cuss:cuss I was really hoping that I would have less than 12v at the coil, which would explain my pinging, allow me to hook up the vacumm advance and cure my overheating once and for all !!!! Well that's the dream I had !!!! :cool::roll

Anyway, now I've still got pinging, still don't have the vacumm advance hooked up and the timing is retarted, all of which is not helping the overheating !!! Sure wish I could find the answer to all these and many more questions ! Like what are the winning lottery numbers for next week ? :roll:roll

Bill

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well I re-checked using another meter and got a little over 12v damn !!!!:cuss:cuss I was really hoping that I would have less than 12v at the coil, which would explain my pinging, allow me to hook up the vacumm advance and cure my overheating once and for all !!!! Well that's the dream I had !!!! :cool::roll

Anyway, now I've still got pinging, still don't have the vacumm advance hooked up and the timing is retarted, all of which is not helping the overheating !!! Sure wish I could find the answer to all these and many more questions ! Like what are the winning lottery numbers for next week ? :roll:roll

Bill

Bill, what fuel are you using ? try 3 gal 110 and 93 mix.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
vacuum leak?

What's the vacuum reading? Otherwise jet up, maybe just a needle change.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Bill

Bill,
Maybe you already covered this, but are you sure you have a pre-69 balancer and not a later or aftermarket balancer with the timing mark 10 deg off?

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Let's put a lid on this one !!!!!

Okay, I've got a workable solution for now !!!! :cool::clap I hooked up the vacumm advance to (manifold) That put me at 27 degrees with vacumm and 45 degrees all in at 3000. I did not check to see what that left me for initial timing. Took her for a drive and had pinging under load. :bang So I came back to the house and let her idle for 20 min in the driveway. She slowly climbed up to 220, but I was able to hold her there with higher RPMs. :clap:clap So I knew I was moving in the right direction.

I took 5 degrees of advance out, so she at 22 degrees with vacumm and 40 all in at 3000. Took another drive and no pinging, even on a long steep climb with A/C on, and the temps stayed at 180. (ambient was 90+). :):clap So I took a drive through town, with A/C on. Now there was not a lot of traffic at 8 PM, but I did have to stop at most of the lights. The temp never went above 190 and if I was moving at some speed, it dropped to 180-185 (A/C on).

Now I don't think I'll be able to be in a parade, even with the A/C off, but for general driving, I'm a happy cruiser !!!!! :cool::cool: She runs and idles so much better with the vacumm hooked up and also lost the rumble in the exhaust. Have to work the idle some for A/C, she wants to die at the light. Also have just a touch of deseling when I shut her off after she's warmed up ?

Anyway, I know I've troubled everyone here with this problem for 5 years now and I can't thank you all enough for sticking with me !!! :cheers I'm satisfied for now with the set up I've got, but may look at it some in the future. But for now, everyone sleep tight, because Nuts is a happy cruiser at last.

Thanks
Bill

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
BILL, I did not know your vacuum advance was not connected all this time!!!!!1 They run pretty crappy without. I tried to run with mechanical only when I put in the roller THUMPR cam. Car sounded so tough I set off a car alarms in parking lots. :roll Decided to try the vacuum advance to make the car more drivable. HUGH DIFFERENCE in manners. Better idle quality, still sounds good but not as loud. Smoother through the gears. I have 12 initial and 35 total. I read RAY'S old post on timing & vacuum advance and am using his setup guide lines. Car always runs good with no cooling issues. Glad you have good news tonite.:cheers Leo