Just picked up this 409 marine engine today

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This has been sitting in a boathouse in an old wooden boat for 30 years. The boat had pretty well rotted away and the guy I got it from had to hire a crane to reach down to the boathouse and lift it out. It's a 656 block with 333 heads a 3830831 intake for a 340 hp 409. It has a rochester carb with tag 7023183 which shows as a mercury marine. The dist is a 1110637 which is also marine. The block front pass side has TIII88R stamped on it:dunno. The dist has packard plug wires with date of 4-0-64 on them.
348409012.jpg

348409025.jpg

348409019.jpg

348409015.jpg

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks like you might be rethinking your 348 build???!!! Way to go!! :clap

Lonnie

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don't know which way to go now. Leaning towards a mild build for the 409 and selling the 655 348 block and cranks.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pulled one head and it has a notch in it. Also had copper head gaskets in it. The upper cylinders are a little on the rusty side.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
called the guy and no pictures. But he said it was a chriscraft that the engine came out of.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Took the 333 heads in to get started on the build. They were a little rusty and pitted in the combustion area so we used another pair I had. Going with 1.7 rollers and screw in studs. The eliminators for the exhaust rotators do not drop over the valve stem tower and will have to be opened up. is this normal? Finished up stripping down the block and getting the pistons out. It's at the builders now. Just waiting to see what size the cylinders clean up at so I can order pistons. I've got my cam and springs from Aubrey.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Took the 333 heads in to get started on the build. They were a little rusty and pitted in the combustion area so we used another pair I had. Going with 1.7 rollers and screw in studs. The eliminators for the exhaust rotators do not drop over the valve stem tower and will have to be opened up. is this normal? Finished up stripping down the block and getting the pistons out. It's at the builders now. Just waiting to see what size the cylinders clean up at so I can order pistons. I've got my cam and springs from Aubrey.

Ronnie should know. maybe the valve stems get turned down for seal fitment?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BBC rotator eliminators need the inside diamiter increased. Let your machine shop take care of it. Showcars should have made note of that to its customers.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well have not posted much as I'm busy collecting parts. Pistons are on order thru Aubrey any day now. I've got my cam and con rods, roller rockers as well as new msd dist and other parts sitting on a shelf or at the rebuilders. 333 heads have been gone over with 2.065 intake and 1.725 ex valves. Block cleaned up well and is final bored 4.350". New edelbrock 2x4 intake ( sorry Aubrey) and a set of Dougs tri-y headers.
. I've installed a dual master and discs for the front. Broke down and am putting in a 600 power box as well.