Just picked up this 409 marine engine today

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well the pistons arrived yesterday ... thanks Aubrey. They were sitting at the post office getting ready to be sent back. I never received any notice about them:cuss
Loaded every thing up and took it to my engine builder in Barrie. He has had the heads and block since the new year. Heads are 333 with the larger valves. He says 2-3 weeks so we will see.

[URL=http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/BriantWilson/media/100_0114_zps58535584.jpg.html]

Also received these plates for my fathers day/ birthday present

Put the 348 block in so I could dream and set up pulleys, Dougs headers, intake and other stuff
[/URL]

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking good. Take a rasp to the lifter valley oil drain back area and clean up that casting flash

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Engine guy called and is concerned that the piston is 10 thou out of the cylinder. Says we need thicker gaskets than the felpros.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian,most engine builders wont build them that tight,I'd suggest a .045 gasket,which ,with your .010 out,would put you at .035.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the setup sounds pretty good.....unless there is a v/p problem, in which case you probably have to deepen the notches in the pistons. JMO.

PLENTY of valve-to-piston clearance there... cam has short seat timing, no issue at all.
If .010" above the deck, is measured at the highest point, piston "rocked over"... then it's perfect. Use the Fel Pro gasket as is. If when measuring, and setting the piston to create the highest measurement, you get more than maybe .012"-.013", then it's too high.
Yes, this kind of detail can be a pain in the a$$, but you'll go faster than everybody else, because of it:deal

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike,is your engine a stroker? About how much mileage did you pick up after tuning with the fuel air ratio meter? I know you posted that it made a big difference in the responsivness of the car.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nice cam. :beer

The pistons on my last race engine were about .004 out of the hole, measured near the pin, they would have been out farther at the "rocked over" end.
Anyway, they were hitting the head at high rpm. It was never a problem but you could definitely see witness marks where the pistons were lightly hitting the heads.
The gaskets were the standard FelPros. (I always thought the compressed thickness on those was about .040 to .042) :scratch
My measurements could have been off a little and keep in mind that this was a stroker running as high as 7,800 rpm. If I was shifting at 6,200 they probably would never touch.

Jim, I believe Brian's engine is a stock stroke, with aftermarket rods. I don't think he'll see past 6500. That cam is the same profile that I used in my engine on the dyno, a few months ago ( that's why the box says "dyno";)... I let Brian get that one, and I ordered another ).
My Stocker engine is about .006" above, and sees 7200+. No evidence of contact ( thermal coating on the head would show that pretty quick ), but they're awful shiney. Engine is pretty loose though.

If Brian gets a good break in and ring seal, I think he'll have a good 500 HP for sure.