Just picked up this 409 marine engine today

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well took another fist full of cash in to the builder today. He was just setting the lash on the engine. I'm taking the primer into him tomorrow and picking it up Wed. Got a date with the dyno guy 1st of next week. May get out for a bit of fall cruising! :cool:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Mike,is your engine a stroker? About how much mileage did you pick up after tuning with the fuel air ratio meter? I know you posted that it made a big difference in the responsivness of the car.
40 over 348 block with a 409 crank Eagle BBC rods C&A pistons. The engine runs far better than it ever did after the A/F tune-up. My seat of the pants jetting was way off. Gas milage is way up and temps are way down.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What compression is your motor Brian? Very similar build to mine so curious to see how it performs on the dyno

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dropped the engine of to be run. Helped put it on the stand hooked up exhaust, wiring. Got there today and the guy says we have a problem. Making a noise at the front. we started it up and you could feel it on the timing cover. Tore the front down and the retaining piece for the cam bolts was touching the cover. Trimmed up the tabs and waiting for a gasket set. Will get it closed up Am tomorrow. Also the dyno is acting up so I may not get to see any numbers. :deal:dunno:cry

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yea it's easier doing this on a stand then leaning over the fender. Both Gary and I are doing the 409 dance.
\ 1 step forward 2 steps back! cha cha cha:dance:dance:dance

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well we ran the engine yesterday after breaking it in. I installed the 2nd springs and set them up and we ran it again and the dyno did not co-operate. Only #'s we saw were 398ft lbs at 44000 rpm. But no more noise and boy did it sound nice. Loaded it up and now it sits in the garage. Just need to sort out the pilot bushing trouble and put it in.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Too bad the dyno wasn't giving a readout. :cry
Oh well, the good news is the engine ran without a problem and sounded good. :beer
Now you just have to get that puppy dropped in and see how goes. :pop

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
just found a guy in he neighbourhood that can turn down the pilot bushing. The engine is sitting in the garage waiting for the bearing.

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Will there be a Youtube video...? :dunno

We all want to share in the excitement and see her run!