LED garage lights

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Mearl how tall are your ceilings. Mine are 15'. Have looked at those lights but was afraid they wouldn't light that far down with any brightness. :dunno:scratch
Scott, my walls are only 10', so the ones over my work bench are only about 9' high. I've started running them across the building and in the center it's 14' because I have vaulted trusses.

bobs409

Administrator
It's LIGHT day! :happy

I now own (20) of these lights, got them last night from the big brown truck. Sixteen for sure will go to the garage, probably eighteen. I just got 4 more up and running today. I can light up all 20 of these for 440 watts. That's equivalent to just (2) of the old 8 ft lights! That just blows my mind! :D

Seeing them lit in other areas of my garage, I swear they are even brighter than the old ones! Using the lumens listed for both would indicate they are not even close but in person, I say BS! :bs

They are so light weight, I bought some 1 x 1 x 16 GA aluminum angle to hang them using the existing chains from the previous lights.

Gotta get back to work...

bobs409

Administrator
Ready for the show? I just finished up the 14th light with only 2 more to go. I have pictures:

DSCN8072.jpg DSCN8073.jpg DSCN8075.jpg DSCN8076.jpg DSCN8077.jpg DSCN8078.jpg DSCN8079.jpg DSCN8080.jpg DSCN8081.jpg DSCN8082.jpg

Some of these pics were taken with all (14) lights on! It's like an operating room in there! :cool: It's a beautiful thing! And best of all, with all of those on, the meter is only turning the same speed as it did with 2 of the big 8ft hogs on!

5 stars for these lights! The 5 year no hassle warranty is comforting too.

One note: The first pic is the odd ball. Due to the low ceiling on that side, I have the light suspended below the track/door. It's so light weight, I can lift it from one end, didn't even have to move the car when I put it up! :D (and it comes down real easy for those rare times I need to put the wrecker in that bay)

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, an operating room? If my mother in law was still alive I would take her to your garage to try and surgically remove that stick that was up her ***. However, with that out of the way, seriously are they that good? I cannot really tell by the pics. Not saying they are not, I just cant tell. They are a lot cheaper than what I was looking at. And although I really never think of the cost of operating them, you have me thinking about it. Soooooooo..... maybe an initial order goes in tonight??? Were there any other brighter ones when you looked?

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, an operating room? If my mother in law was still alive I would take her to your garage to try and surgically remove that stick that was up her ***. However, with that out of the way, seriously are they that good? I cannot really tell by the pics. Not saying they are not, I just cant tell. They are a lot cheaper than what I was looking at. And although I really never think of the cost of operating them, you have me thinking about it. Soooooooo..... maybe an initial order goes in tonight??? Were there any other brighter ones when you looked?

Well they sure impressed me. I see them available in 4000k and 5000k. I got the 5000k. The 4000k I think would be more yellowish or more of a natural light? I like the 5K's look, it's fitting for a garage IMO.

I initially bought a set of 4 to see for myself and the next day, I ordered 4 more sets! I'd say give them a try. These do seem brighter than the old ones to me.

Oh and lastly, NO mother in laws here! :no :cuss :laugh4

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Scott, my walls are only 10', so the ones over my work bench are only about 9' high. I've started running them across the building and in the center it's 14' because I have vaulted trusses.

Mearl We both have the same Height issues and there are high bay models but I am thinking even in the highest areas I might not need that $$ high bay model. I am having to go back to school to learn the lumens comparison as it ain't as easy as control circuits. I sort of wish there was a demo model sort of like when buying a car. I am now convinced not to use the 6500 K models in a low ceiling height due to causing eye issues.
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What about 12' rafters and probably 18' open peak roof Robert. I'm ready to order 2 6-packs of the 6500.
Thanks to Bob.....I'm going to let me fingers do the walking!!!!!! Bob probably has already set up a percentage "deal" with Amazon!!!!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Phil one of the items my "electrical light advisor" is asking is the height variables as the beam width can change and must be accounted for somehow:scratch:scratch
As Bob said earlier this ain't gonna be easy. Grub addressed this somewhere I think
Robert

bobs409

Administrator

The way I understand it, the K means Kelvins and it has to do with the color of the light. (not the brightness) 3000k is yellowy like something you would use in your parlor, 4000k less yellowy & whiter, 5000k is more of a cool white and 6000 & 6500 would be very white like WALMART! I really don't know if that would be a good thing for a garage or not. I know personally I wouldn't want any whiter than what I have. I watched many youtube video's on LEDs and remember one guy explaining kelvins and that he recommended the 5000K for a garage/shop and was all he used.

One thing to note the brand in your link only has a 3 year warranty if that matters to you. (but it is for 6 lights and not 4)

I think the only thing to do is order 1 set of what you think is best and try them. They are so cheap you really can't go wrong.

bobs409

Administrator
What about 12' rafters and probably 18' open peak roof Robert. I'm ready to order 2 6-packs of the 6500.
Thanks to Bob.....I'm going to let me fingers do the walking!!!!!! Bob probably has already set up a percentage "deal" with Amazon!!!!!

Just wanted to mention the lights in that link are not the ones I have. It's a different brand and I'm not sure of the warranty details other than it's for only 3 years. Do some research on them first to be sure.

Also, in my pics the lights that are in front of and in back of my 4 post car lift are hanging about 10' They cast a nice amount of light to the floor. Having white walls to reflect does help the brightness too.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I may jump in and buy two 6 packs after I sell my oxy/acet torch setup! I have eight old florescents in my detached garage. The rest would go into the built in garage on the house.

I want to see if the wires can be run through the existing conduit somehow to hard wire them. I don't like lights hanging from chains or wires hanging down on rafter edges though.

Got any closeups of the end caps of each light end? Can they easily disassembled to install with conduit?

bobs409

Administrator
Tom, they come with 3 ways of wiring them. Each light comes with a corded plug that has an on/off switch or a plug to hardwire in. It also comes with another cord so you can connect lights together, as many as your circuit can handle and that would be A LOT at 22watts each!

Here's some pics from the Amazon listing of the ones I bought:

15.jpg 16.jpg