Losing Shade Making Way

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice work!

What is that, maybe 300 feet from the road to the house? Or is it to be circle drive connecting to your existing one?

Last load I had of 26 tons of half inch clean cost me more than $500 delivered and dumped not spread :(.

Cheers! TomK

Junky

Well Known Member
You might consider topping it with stone dust. Our town uses stone dust and liquid asphalt to "rejuvenate" the roads, since paving has gotten so expensive.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Around here we call that "waste lime". It's the cheapest fill to be had by the ton, but can get kinda smushy (there's that technical term) if there's no base established and it rains. I put some over larger rock and it fills the gaps real good, especially once it gets packed down into the larger stone.

Junky

Well Known Member
Now, you need a few loads of loam to back up the edges, so the stone doesn't creep into the lawn as you drive over it, and the pounding of the rain, the next time that a downpour occurs.. Taper the loam into the existing lawn and seed it. Now is the perfect time to plant grass, fertilize, and other maintenance to having a better lawn next spring.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You might consider topping it with stone dust. Our town uses stone dust and liquid asphalt to "rejuvenate" the roads, since paving has gotten so expensive.
Around here we call that "waste lime". It's the cheapest fill to be had by the ton, but can get kinda smushy (there's that technical term) if there's no base established and it rains. I put some over larger rock and it fills the gaps real good, especially once it gets packed down into the larger stone.

FYI the looks of James' aggregate it's Ok. It is large enough for a base and has enough fines to pack and that's all you need. All aggregate is not created equal, even in the same quarry. Different ledges produce different fines and different areas of the country have aggregate that is much different. Aggregate in Junky's area sounds like granite or something similar. The fines are a very hard product and won't break down. It needs fines to compact. When aggregate wears down that's called abrasion. In Missouri the aggregate is most likely limestone or dolomite and is much softer, or has more abrasion which means it will break down faster with traffic and freeze and thaws. You will find that some fines are more likely to turn to mush than others in the same quarry let alone in a different State. Some ledges have shale in them and that turns to mush in the fines. How do I know? I've crushed aggregate in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Was still learning when I quit. Millions of tons and was still learning.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
As Phil mentioned I'll need a living quarters when i come to "visit". A nice two story with upper outside deck would be nice. If you could have remote controlled in and out doors so its easier to ride the bike into the livingroom that would be swell. Be sure to have the motorcycle storage room with ceiling to floor windows so the bike can see out. I wont need a kitchen as i figure you're looking foreward to BBQing my steaks and shrimp outside.