My 58 Impala Resto?

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Fellas, When Brian told of his problem I just lost heart. My greatest joy was making him laugh. As I sat here last night and today and began reading old posts I realized I should never have stayed away. From talking with Brian over the last few months I would have picked up on what was happening. I know in my heart I could have postponed the inevitable and nothing can change that. Like Ronnie said , we dont get to do do overs.

Ray

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you for bringing those old posts Ray.I remember laughing until I had tears in my eyes at the time.Now it's just :cryDon

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:crazy This is for you Ray. I almost called a couple of times but last I knew you were off the road for a while so I didn't call. When you are ready give me a buss. Good to see you back on the site wish things were different but we just have to put one foot in front of the other and remember the good times to help us thru.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Thanks Fellas, When Brian told of his problem I just lost heart. My greatest joy was making him laugh. As I sat here last night and today and began reading old posts I realized I should never have stayed away. From talking with Brian over the last few months I would have picked up on what was happening. I know in my heart I could have postponed the inevitable and nothing can change that. Like Ronnie said , we dont get to do do overs.

Ray

We all miss him for sure, Ray. I had been talking with him for the three consecutive days prior to his death about the sale of his Bubbletop and when I received a text from him at 5 a.m. that morning, I woke up and responded to him knowing something wasn't right. I had many conversations regarding his situation in what he was going through and tried and tried to shed light on his situation, and telling him all that I went through in 2010 and I survived and moved on. Clearly he had already made up his mind and no one was going to stop him. God rest his soul.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Update: got the 409 on the dyno,(409+.030 9:1, 379 heads, edelbrock performer, 750 holley, small '58 348 stock ex. manifolds), hit my target of 360hp 413 ftlb AFTER 10 pulls!! First pull 271hp 313 ftlb.,through small 348 exhaust. (back barrels didn't open 750 holley vac secondaries, seat was screwed in diaphragm, timing only zero (forgot about small block damper being different, that"s what happens after its been together 3 years). Anyway a bunch of fiddling provided only about 20 hp gain.

AND THEN: remember that bullet cam? After I pulled cam cover and showed him how I had to move the chain 2 teeth on the cam gear to get the 110* lobe center Machinist called Bullet to make sure I had cam degreed where they wanted it. They said it should it should be 110 but now to go to 106* lobe center. He checked and it was at 110. So he set the marks at 0-0 and checked it 93* lobe center. Bunch of jacking around and finally got it to 104.5*. Put it back together and got 25 psi more cranking cylinder pressure (175psi) . pull number 8 produced 320hp 375 ftlb. At this point we were 18 hrs into it, I went home and got the Doug's tri y ceramic headers not caring if I ruined them at this point. 12* initial timing 38* total all in (this was done by the second pull. 360.6 hp @5300 413.1 ftlb @4000.
Used Royal purple 10-30 break in oil. 80 psi oil pressure hot, so going to pull the pump and change the spring tomorrow.
Although I wish that cam would have gone flat on the first pull, but it does have a nice flat curve.

Had car set out to soda blast, media blast, prime with Rust Bullet, car has very minor rust, no panels need to be replaced, they are painting jambs , hanging doors, painting firewall, dash and interior trim. They pulled back off the frame so I'm going this morning to bring it home and install engine and trans and driveshaft if it gets here. Also have a brake conversion kit to split front and rear brakes,then take it back to them. Supposed to pick it up May 18, bring it home and try to get it movable for Ohio. I'm taking vacation when I get back from Montana May 20 to June 3. Anybody need a place to stay for a week or so before Ohio. Pay sucks , but free R&B.

My suburban doesn't like my trailer so maybe I should have Phil stop with the dually.................................no , that's a bad idea.

I'll post pictures when I get them downloaded somewhere.

I sure miss Brian!

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Your making real progress on it now! Won't be long and it will be on the road and back to fun cruisin'.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ray...................I'd love to stop by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But can't help you for Thompson tho..............gonna be on the Harleys.:clap:clap:clap

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Drained oil to back pressure down on oil pump. Cast iron mud in pan. Nearest I can tell at this point is it's coming from bores. Here we go again. So much for Royal Purple's Break in oil.

Later
Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, can't find any abnormal wear anywhere so bolted it back together, if there's something going on I'll find it at sometime along the way. Then it will be a fish anchor and I'll go back to BB's or build a 454 SB. Heck ,I got a trailer , maybe sell everything and buy a dirt modified. And if I want to file chapter 13 sooner I could by a late model.

Spent the day fabbing an oil dipstick, bending and installing brake lines for dual master( a real pain with engine and headers installed), installed P/S pump and hoses (another pita, fab this fab that), fuel line (no fabbing here, original piece).

Later
Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray...................I'd love to stop by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But can't help you for Thompson tho..............gonna be on the Harleys.:clap:clap:clap

Better bring the Dodge so I can load you up. I'm giving everything away that I'm not putting back on the 58.
Ray

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Ray, just gotta know. What happened to the 58 348? I thought you would use it. Saving for the future?

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ray, just gotta know. What happened to the 58 348? I thought you would use it. Saving for the future?

Thomas, I already had the 409 built. I intend on doing the 58 348 in the near future and if the 09 lives long enough may redo it in something else and put the 348 in the 58. Did you do anything with the 454?

Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Engine and trans are in frame, Fabbed new fuel line, bolted on P/s pump, alternator ,headers, trans lines. Oh , and by the way the newest version of Bowtie overdrives 700 R4 mount is wrong too. Used the one I cut apart and re engineered, works perfect.Sure hope their torque converter is better than their mount. Taking frame up to body shop for them to put body back on and bring it home to finish it. Brian would have had the thing done by now!