My personal nightmare

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My younger brother owned a 67 MG Midget back in the day, that thing broke every time he drove it. Our dad finally told him to sell it as he wasn't going to work on it anymore, you had to be kneeling to work under the hood.

wristpin

Well Known Member
My younger brother owned a 67 MG Midget back in the day, that thing broke every time he drove it. Our dad finally told him to sell it as he wasn't going to work on it anymore, you had to be kneeling to work under the hood.
James is tall so he lays on his belly to work over the hood. I caught him talking about Impala and Bel Air trunks as "boots". He also said 409's run better with Weber dual throats.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just after we got married my wife became enamoured with a 74-75 "Spriget" and said that she wanted one,to which I replied "Well you'd best learn how to fix one because I'm neither going to work on it nor am I going to pay somebody else to".That was the last that I ever heard about that.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I once worked with a guy, that had a MGB-GT. He thought it was the Cat's Meow.:rolleyes I thought it was the Cat's Litterbox.:thumbdown He was having problems with the carbs. He tried picking my brain.:wacko I think they were SU's, I told him, "I don't know anything about them" I did tell him they were complicated.:doh Couple days later, he bring' s them to work. He wants me to supervise Him, while he takes them apart. I told him NFW:thumbdown. He got pissed at me, and said screw you, I'll do it myself. I told him, Bob don't do it.:eek1 He starts taking things off the carb, and a spring and a washer go "Bling" right over his shoulder. :scared2Must have gone into the Twilight Zone, because he never found them:teeheeThen he blamed me.:dunno I told you, Bob, don't mess with it. He stayed pissed at me for quite a while. Finally after a couple weeks , he asked me, if I wanted to go out to lunch. Sure. Couldn't stay mad at him. He was just a headstrong college kid. I asked him, how he made out, with the carbs, and he ignored me.:rollHis daily driver was a Volkswagen Rabbit. Another UGH!:barf2 RIP- B.W.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Those SUs were pretty good carbs. They were simple Contant Velocity carbs pretty much like BMW Bing carbs. A big version of Mikuni or Keihin CVs. Problem with SUs was the slide/piston was same material as body so they wore each other out evenly. Those dual throat Webers were pretty good on harleys and the Del orto dual throats were as smooth as fuel injection if set up properly. Id like a SU, Weber or Delorto for my shovel.