Names for Cars

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, I'll probably piss off a lot of people, but here goes:

I don't name my cars nor do I refer to them as females. They are sometimes called bad names over and over. Many times I include myself for buying them.

I don't get the concept at all? What would make a person do that? I know a few circle track guys who had nicknames for cars that had won a lot of races or always performed well, but that was weird to me too. They all ended up in a junkyard somewhere.

Please tell me what I'm missing? And keep your sense of humor!

dc

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Back in 57 Dad of course was racing a white 57 150 and with shoe polish wrote on the back window White Lightning for just one race at San Antonio! When I was racing drag boats in the early 70s for my cousin both his unblown gas flat and UBGHydro were named Rat Now. One of my competitors UBGH boat was called Mister Period and I thought that one was pretty cool!! The only car of mine that I named was a Vega! BT Express

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I refer to my 2 GMC pickups as Whitey & KC, manly names because they are manly trucks. My 63 Belair, I call Bella
but when I get the 515, :think& 4spd installed she may become transgender! But then again an aggressive woman can be a good thing!
Jeff

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I think the female names came from ships and vessels way back when for luck or something. I dunno, but must have carried over to vehicles somehow.
I named my Impala Priscilla. The weekend i started working on it i saw Priscilla Presley on TV, and said she is still good looking for a woman her age and I started calling my car that.
My ramcharger is Betsy. My 97 Ram is "The 97" and my 21 Ram is "Blue".