Need a liittle help from the higher ups

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Remember it could be the pipe next to manifold also if it is double wall and collapsed ,so don't count those out.If ok then muffler most likely ,never saw a tail pipe collapsed but you never know.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I can give you a suggestion only if you want to try this. If it bogs setting in garage at 3000 rpm steady or a little above take a rag and hold to each tailpipe and see if you notice a difference in exhaust coming out in volume. If that show that would tell you which side . At that point I would replace both side exhaust anyway.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Just sitting it doesn't bog down it actually makes it to 5800 rpm and then I let off. I did try holding my hand over it at idle but there was little to no difference on either side

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes but you are not holding at 5800 so a short burst won't bring in bog,and of course you don't want to hold at that rpm setting in garage.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Right. Im just going to take it to the shop tomorrow and take the exhaust off all the way. I think you may have it. I remember years ago my dad took his van to a muffler shop and they put a 2" muffler in place of the 3" muffler he originally had and it did about the same thing. The only difference was on the van (350 wyed into a single exhaust) it sounded really forceful like something was stuck in the tail pipe. The impala doesn't sound like that maybe because the dual exhaust? I don't know but we'll find out tomorrow

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I googled walker pipes and they say the pipe are double wall. So original may not be .

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you are not showing any pressure on the vacuum gauge when you go to WOT you do not have a exhaust blockage.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Interesting to see if taking off the exhaust does it. I haven't spent a lot of time troubleshooting for a while, but it seems strange that under no-load she RPM's right up and when under a load only 3k. Maybe disconnecting the pipes will do it. If not I would be installing a fuel pressure gauge, unless I missed reading that you've tried that.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Haven't measured fuel pressure but glass bowl is full. Obviously cant see it under load but when I increase the rpms to 3500 under the hood it stays full. I would think if there wasn't enough fuel pressure it could pull air back through the return line

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you are not showing any pressure on the vacuum gauge when you go to WOT you do not have a exhaust blockage.
Wrong,,,,,if you had pressure carb would be blowing gas out of carb.I can't post from phone ,but Google a vacuum test for blocked exhaust,and it shows vacuum decrease and holding decrease trying to accelerate.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Since this happens under load only,check the rubber lines in the fuel system for cracks,if you haven't already.